QB2/ 3"s Are there any left?

QB2

I was deliberating whether or not to try to restore my QB2 and for that matter whether there are any still sailing.

Would anyone have contacts with former QB2 owners so I can find out if there are usable hulls/sails and other spares around.

The last I heard what few QB owners in Victoria were buying Taipans/A class, but there was one young guy sailing out of Melbourne.

I like the QBs and would like to preserve a piece of sailing history if possible, so any contacts would be welcomed.

There were supposed to be some people in Melb who were building QB glass hulls out of a mould. Would anyone know where the original hull mould is?

All I need are a pair of reasonable hulls, a main and jib and a trailer.

well from the response it seems the only choice I have is to get a mould made from one of my hulls and see if I can pop a couple of new ones out.

I might have to get new sails too unless someone with an old set in their garage comes out of the woodwork.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might try Lindsay Cunningham I believe he was the designer of the QB2 I think he lives in Cheltenham Vic,

We had a few sailing at our Club years ago __Great boat in their day ! good luck with your project

There are no L Cunningham's in Cheltenham although there are lots of L Cunninghams in Melbourne. I can't ring STD to check them out. The last I heard when I restored the QB 10-12 years ago the hull mould was in Melbourne. No one knows what happened to it but possibly it was scrapped as QB owners got taipans/A's and other classes. I am yet to check with my local boat repairer to see how much he'll charge for a one off mould from the best of my hulls. I refuse to try to build new ply hulls while living in Queensland heat.

Does anyone know how much in both quantities and dollars the basic fibreglass materials/resin etc I probably will be up for if I can get a mould done and decide to pop out new glass hulls?

Mark

Guest hot shot

Mark was your Qb2 the 1 that used to sail out as lake Samsonvale in the 1980s.

I remember 1 out there when i sarted sailing. Bye the way i dont agree with your coment about not building timber hulls in Queensland. Sorry. I have built several timber boats eg 125 ,sabots ,Mirrors, And as long as you treat the timber with a anti fungle product on the inside and keep them dry you will not have any trouble with wood rot.

As for cost in building your hull i would give Calypso Sail craft a call. They sell resin and glass in bulk if you have the containers.

I bought my QB in Townsville in the early 90's. There were 2 or 3 that sailed in the local fleet of Tornados, A class, Cobra with the sole 14 footer being my Maricat. I got tired of always last cat home and bought a local reputedly fast Qb2 which hadn't sailed for 2 seasons. It was originally called 'Bwana Banana? I found under the absolutely flawless exterior paint 12 separate paint layers/7 colours covering rotten decks and hulls. The previous owner admitted he had let the hulls fill with rainwater and then drilled holes in each stern to drain it. My cat colleagues said, Easy, we'll help restore it etc, no worries, just ask. etc etc.

To cut a long story short I relocated to the Sunshine coast and the cat made the trip in a removalists van while the trailer helped move the kids 70 guinea pigs. I rebuilt the decks with new 4mm marine ply, replaced a 1 foot deep by 6 foot long patch along one hull wall where a repairer used 2 inch roofing nails into a hardwood plank with up to half an inch wide gaps between old and new ply covered with bucket loads of auto bodyfiller.

I Everdured inside and out and installed new glass centreboard cases. I got $400.00 worth of marine one pack paint but after 3 coats sprayed over 3 days, as per detailed instruction, found it refused to harden. It finally went semi-hard after about a month. The paint on the keels peeled off the first time it went up the trailer and the deck paint cracked every month or so.

I sailed the QB2 on lake Cootharaba for about 5 years before my daughter said 'look bubbles' and pushed her finger through the hull to deck join. Ironically the original 30 year old hull ply, while now delaminating, is still in better nick than the 'newer' deck ply.

QB owners in the Victorian fleet told me their boats were disassembled each winter and were stored under cover as they were very sensitive to humidity/temperature changes. That is why I want glass hulls if I rebuild it again.

I had some brilliant sailing on the QB. It sat one hull just kissing the water and be rock steady without usually lifting any higher. I never buried the bows, but thats probably a hangover from my mari days, but it never looked like pitchpoling with its huge bow area. The only pain in the rear was getting it solo on and off the trailer as the cat sat waist high, well above wheel-mudguard height on the rollers. It was rock steady and a delight to tow. Getting the mast up solo was touch and go with the mastpin 3 inches high and an absolute pain to locate.

I recognise the name Bwana Banana as a QB2 I used to sail against in 1975 to 77 in Townsville. The original owner was Dallas Golding. It was immaculate and fast back then. Dallas used to operate a yacht shop called Force 10 in Townsille with another guy by the name of Mark Adams (ex Cobra National Champion). Mark currently sails a taipan 5.7 out of Brisbane. Last I heard Dallas was living in Brisbane also.

Phil

I met a guy at Cootharaba one day who said he had built my QB. I asked what he thought of the new paintjob and my restoration efforts. He said it looked like crap - end of conversation! From his perspective he was probably right as she had seen plenty of wear and tear.

Mark Adams may have been the owner of a no- expense-spared Townsville cobra called Checkmate. If that was him, he always gave the tornado, A class and Qb sailors a run for their money.

There was one guy sailing a Qb2/3 called Wind or spiritdancer? in Townsville before I moved south. I nearly bought it but was advised to go for Bwana instead as it had been a top boat. From memory, he sold it and bought a laser after he fell off with the mainsheet wrapped around one arm and was dragged along. He wore a partial cast under his forearm and wrist for 6 months.

I don't know whether or not his Qb or others supposedly in Townsville are still around or were scrapped years ago.

• 5 years later...

Here's some news - My family purchased the first Quest B2 from Charlie Cunningham (father of Lindsey) sail no 4, we went on to build 4 more, in total 5 QB2. Sail numbers 1, 2 & 3 where kept by the Cunningham family and did not hit the water for many years.

My father and brother did most of the sailing both named John Mercel. We still have the plans to a couple (I think) also the moulds for the hulls and 1 or 2 sets of sails, along with a mast that was never used and a set of beams.

We started of sailing out of Carrum Sailing Club with many regattas etc at McCrae and all over travelling Australia for regattas and Cat Week each year. I have many photos but don’t know how to load them, but I will work on this if anyone is interested.

Contact me via nicolesaunders47@gmail.com and I would be happy to answer as much as I can or my brother, John would be able to help more, he built many boats and sailed/lived in Melbourne/Townsville/Sunshine Coast.

We had many great times and memories sailing the QB2.

Regards and happy sailing

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I just picked up a QB3 in Melbourne ebay $800 with trailer. in VGC square top main foam core boards twin trap all sorts of go fast goodies. seems to go well and points high. took it out from Pt Melbourne for a blast, was going well until main halyard broke, had to limp back to the beach.  6mm wetsuit, still freezing! its the classic hull glass bottom and ply sides / deck. someone put high gloss paint everywhere (top quality job), pretty slippery when on the trapeze. will have to add some sugar to a sacrificial top coat for grip.

it came with some trophy from the early 90's, seemed  to  win a few years in a row.

used to sail an old Tornado but at age 49 it was to much work on the beach for me. glad I downsized.

will be using it this spring / summer.

it comes with double of rudders & sails which makes me think it was 2 or more cats. I will sell these bits if anyone is interested?

email me bruce_jeffery@optusnet.com.au

Archived