New sails for 5.7?

G'day looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get all new sails for 187

Goodalls say the spin is same as the Capricorn but 2m bigger. Is the 5.7 as flat as the f18 spin? My old one has a huge belly but its probably blown out.

Is there anything special to ask about the new bighead main? we sail at about 160-170kg. Any special questions about battens?

The jib is quoted in dacron, both my old jibs are more exotic material is there a good reason to go dacron?

Thanks in advance for your help

Hey Mate

With your main battens are a pretty standard thing you mainly just change the top 3 for different conditions. You should probably do a bend test on your mast this will tell you if you have a soft or heavy mast, It involves hanging a 20kg weight off the mast at different points(tip,for and aft,sideways) Greg will have previous boat measurements to compare off. If your mast ends up being hard it would be better getting a slightly flatter sail because you wont be able to get rid off the power if you have a full sail on a heavy mast, If you have a soft mast slightly more powerful sail because you will be able to depower it with downhaul and spreader rake. I would recommend Greg to build your sails I have had his sails on my f18 and taipan 4.9 and have won nationals on both using his sails, very professional and knows how to build a fast sail.

Dacron is the best material for jibs lasts longer and holds it shape better. Spinnaker for a 5.7 wouldn't be any different in shape compared to a 5.7 the f18 kites have had a lot of development over the last few years.

Hope this helps anyway.

Will you be coming to hervey bay for nationals we should have a great turnout of 5.7s with 5 already confirmed.

Regards Matt Homan

G'day Matt, I wish I could go to Hervey Bay but all the Nationals are in my busy work time so I cant go anywhere until after April. I spoke to Goodalls and I'd prefer them to do the job but they're flat out with the Capricorn so I'm a bit edgy about when they'd supply them. One of the boats at our club has just finished a long saga with them. When you tip weight the mast do you know how much deflection a soft mast has compared to hard?

regards Jeff

Hi Jeff hope your well.

I will give you story of my last 3 sail making/modifying experiences with AHPC/Goodall:

JIB: "I would like it before the nationals" - sail was cut and stitched on X-mas eve!

Main: "I would like it before Easter" - sail was made on the 'good' Thursday and delivered on Good Friday.

Main Re-cut: "I would like it before Sauna Sail" - sail was re-cut and couriered the Friday before hand.

The way I see it is that if you give them a time frame and they agree, they always seem to get the job done just in time!! It works for me!!

Hi Jeff. you should give Greg another call as he is fitting spinnaker and self tacking jib to my 5.7 as we speak and another will be there in a few weeks with the same thing being carried out. im sure that it wouldn't be to much drama to fit in another one on his schedule seeing he's doing 2 sets already. were you considering a self tacking jib?

G'day awesome thanks for the reply We quite often have fantastic reaches here on flat water and I wouldn't be brave enough to pull a spin out on them, I'm going to stay with the normal jib at the moment. I already have everything I need to rig a self tacker including curved track off my old A class, and a self tacker size jib.

I guess the thing you have to bear in mind with Goodall's is that their main market is in EU, our winter is their summer so Goodall's is the busiest in our winter.

Apparently some admin changes are going through at the moment that is slowing things down but should come good soon.

At least when you stuff does show it its first class gear at a reasonable price.

Thanks for your replies have you got self tackers as well? I've started thinking about them again, I've seen Colins old setup, is that what Goodalls are doing on your boat awesome or is it different? How much jib area will you loose with what your doing? Is your main cut any different for a self tacker compared to a normal jib?

in regards to the jib there is no difference in sail area. It protrudes lower than the apex of the bridle using a s/s strop which acts as the support for the chute and a little higher. my set up is the same as the C2 with the single operation halyard. We addressed the issue of mounting the self tacker onto the tramp so it could be removed without fuss. Jib sheeting positions are taken off the top of the beam and are being mounted on the rear edge above the deck with brackets. My big head main was made last season and didn't speak about it then. I cant see any reason to think it should be much different. Time will tell. Mast set up is probably a bigger factor. The jib halyard/luff tensioner is different than C2 as mine is internal and no need to change. Sounds like there is a fair bit of interest in the 5.7s with many new sails being ordered. Its just a pity that we are spread over long distances.

Hey Guys

Sounds like a reunion is in order to check out new setups for the 5.7. A great place would be the Hervey Bay Nationals, hope to see a few of you guys come up.

so far we have Mark Adams,Shane Reynolds,Steve Moore,Peter Scott,Karl ... attending for around brizzy and Hervey Bay, it would be good to get the fleet up again. Its a shame about the attendance at the last few nationals for one of the best boats on the water.

If a few of you guys come up we could have a fleet of 10+ in the 5.7's

it would be a really big bonus for the class.

Regards Matt Homan

• 1 month later...

Hey, 187 use to be my old boat. When i sold it it had a very full and powerful ullman sail which i think the full sail which i think you must be talking about. Its actually a pretty good sail but was made in a more traditional tornado cut which is probably a bit more full than you would like on a 5.7 and is very light as it was made out of spectra cuben fibre which i also found to be very stiff. This stuff is practically impossible to get now, seeing as i have a T now if you want too sell them Ill probably buy them if you dont want to use them. Im not sure if the 5.7 have a bigger head now but it did also had a ashby main which was flatter and still fast even though damaged. Self tackers are heaps better, but your boat will not go downwind well without using the kite. The one thing i have learnt about these boasts is that i would be seriously looking at a super taipan upgrade, wide beam boats are a real hassel to tow but on the water offer a massive performace advantage. Ashby and goodall can both cut good sails but another thing to keep in mind when looking for sails is that the good dollar at the moment and thanks to the tornado one design rule change there is a stack of good sail makers that would probably cut you a pretty good deal these days.

Great to here from you paul I like the Ullman sails and they will be my spare set and potentially my light wind set, the main has very thin carbon battens which I've never seen before but I've been dragged into getting a bighead main because the other boats at the club have it, .. Having said that I beat them in light puffy stuff on the weekend with the Ullman set. I've got an Ashby main coming which he said is using the new Tornado technology whatever that means and am considering ordering my spin and jib from Goodall's. Fergs unwrapped his new sails for the first time last Friday and to be honest I wasn't that impressed, the Dacron jib has ink pattern drawing all over it where they stitched it how do you get that off? The main comes with fair size creases in the clear I'm hoping the Ashby main is better. I've had some great design work done for my signs on the sail and I'm waiting on the dimensions of the sail so I can get it scaled and cut. As for the super Taipan it's an awesome boat but I would find it a hassle plus we have another team looking for a 5.7 at our club which will give us four 5.7's the same chasing each other every weekend

post-4699-13778265434086_thumb.jpg

Archived