14ft cat series

berny

How many of you Maricat sailors would be interested in a four venue G.P. series for 14ft cats, to be possibly run at Forster [Great Lakes SC] in Oct., Lake Macquarie [Mannering Pk SC] in Dec., Lake Illawarra [Koonawarra Bay SC] in Feb., and Jervis Bay [Callala Bay SC] in April ? Say 21 races in total with 16 to count [3 regattas]. Trophies for:

O/A scratch, [1st, 2nd, 3rd]

O/A yardstick, [1st, 2nd, 3rd]

1st in class [three or more boats]

best Master [over 45]

best Junior [under 16]

best Female over the series.

Any interest?

If you're interested maybe you could canvas your friends and see how many would be keen.

For more details, contact me by email at;

bern_leslie@yahoo.com

I.S. I was really only thinking NSW to start but Forster is probably not all that popular amongst 14ft cat sailors [i love the place] so an early [OCT.] regatta further down south in lieu of Great Lakes is doable if there's interest. Make a suggestion.

Bern

There are a couple of options here that could be considered.

A. Something held over the NSW long weekend in October or

B. Held in conjunction with the first "Sail Inland" heat on Oct 13/14.

Events could be sailed at MYC on Lake Mokoan in the first instance or AWYC on Lake Hume in the second

hey Bern,

Yes might be interested, I am in the procecess of selling the house but hope all is done before next season.

Maybe have a "rolling handicap" division to equal out the good and the not so good boats/sailors would apeal to all who enter and stop the usual fast boats and sailors from taking all the trophies which has always been the problem with regattas using yardsticks only....

and would promote interclass rivalry between tigers, windy's and maricatters and any others that might turn up like a sundance etc

A boats first regatta can be off scratch with an average being developed as the series progresses??????

cheers

d

oh and maybe weight for age??? division,

some of us retro boys are the older guys coming back into comp and we have put on a few kgs since our younger competitive days when we didn't drink so much....lol

just a few ideas...........

60 to 70

70 to 80

80 - 90

90 plus?????

or 60 to 75 division W1

75 to 90 " W2

90 plus???? " W3

with a rolling handicap would tempt all to compete?????

anyone else????

cheers d

You're talking kg's and not yrs old I guess shy ha ha ha.

Yes definitely back calculated yardsticks are the way to go, starting with the Koonawarra Bay Y/sticks which are more accurate given their experience running the 14ft regattas over the last 10yrs odd. I'm not familiar with MYC on Lake Mokoan or AWYC on Lake Hume. Do they attract any of the NSW/Vic PT's?

Bern

I would possibly consider weight categories in maybe the outright yardstick div. but it would be hell complicated over all divisions. It really depends on how many and who turns up to race on what boats and with which rig. Given sufficient numbers it could be done but it's up to you guys to get people pumped and get involved. I personally think a big 50/100 boat 14ft regatta series would be possible and a real hoot but I could be dreaming.

Bern

Berny

Mokoan Yacht Clubs, "Rose Regatta", held over the Melbourne Cup long weekend in November, is a leg of the PT's Traveller Series. Usually some NSW PT's from Lake Illawara come down to sail this leg as an interstate challenge,[as well as some S.A. PT's] which is held in conjunction with this event.

What about the Vic. PT's? There's a heap of them around McCrae SC. Is there any water in Lake Mokoan? Lots of those lakes are pretty much empty I believe.

Does anyone know how to contact the Tuross people and what do you think of Tuross as a venue?

Bern

• 2 weeks later...

So is there any chance we could have a count of heads of those who would be interested in sailing a 14ft cat series of any number of rounds at whatever popular venues desired by a majority, (probably Mannering Pk. on L. Macquarie? and Koonawarra Bay SC on L. Illawarra for starters)?

Anyone keen?

Bern

I have already sent the link to most, if not everyone on his list. I haven't seen any additional postings so I'm assuming at this stage they're not interested. I'll check with Graham and see how complete my list is. I know he's not too keen to do away regattas at this stage except for States and Nats.

Bern

Guest Tug Boat

Hi all,

an away series for 14 footers is a great idea however it may be a little hard to get to all the regattas. I think maybe a single weekend series at the right time of year could attract heaps of 14 footers from interstate as well. The venue could rotate each year, revitalising some of the floundering 14 foot fleets in the process. If your there on your maricat macca i'll be there with bells on.

Macca still needs to get another council impoundment sticker on the other side of his boat before he can race again.

That is a good idea though.

We could arrange a one off 14 foot regatta and try and get as many boats there as possible.

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 21 May 2004).]

Mosman council are a proud sponsor of my maricat, I get all sorts of benefits by having that sticker on the boat, I get free parking anywhere in Mosman (until they tow it to impounding depot) and with it's safety yellow colour I have improved the visibility when its on the trailer and on the water. I suggest everyone leaves their trailer derelect (without rego) until they too get one of these VIP stickers.

Both Koonawarra bay SC on Lake Illawarra and more recently Mannering Pk. SC on Lake Macquarie hold two day 14ft cat regattas. This last season was the first at Mannering Pk. and sadly they held it on the same w/e in February as K/Bay have done for the past ten odd years. The K/bay regatta is excellent, with onsite camping and full club and canteen facilities. Lake Illawarra is a pretty decent place to sail too. Now if Mannering Pk. could be coaxed into holding theirs in say November......................

Bern

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 21 May 2004).]

Berny, You could contact myself or Darcy from Mannering Park Sailing Club. My email address is jmerl@pentek.net (rather not post a phone number).

Mannering Park Sailing Club is very interested to promote sailing in 14 catamarans. Mostly we have maricats but also encourage any other 14 (getting more windrushes now).

Originally posted by berny:

Both Koonawarra bay SC on Lake Illawarra and more recently Mannering Pk. SC on Lake Macquarie hold two day 14ft cat regattas. This last season was the first at Mannering Pk. and sadly they held it on the same w/e in February as K/Bay have done for the past ten odd years. The K/bay regatta is excellent, with onsite camping and full club and canteen facilities. Lake Illawarra is a pretty decent place to sail too. Now if Mannering Pk. could be coaxed into holding theirs in say November......................

Bern]

I'm keen, as is Dave Stumbles (president of Koonawarra Bay SC on Lake Illawarra), to talk to someone, about moving the date of the Mannering Park 14ft cat regatta from the same w/e in February as K/Bay hold theirs. K/Bay SC have been running theirs for the last 10 odd years and have had 50+ boats on occasion. It seems a shame to have both regattas on the same w/end. Both clubs would benefit greatly if they could get together on this. Two regattas could also form the nucleus of a 14ft GP.

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 30 May 2004).]

Archived