Hydra 16

Lenedave

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Hydra as well. You are the first person I have come across on the net with one. I am thinking of changing the downhaul and anti rotation to remotes and use a swivelling clam for the out haul.

Can you tell me if the boom is SOOO heavy for a reason?

My jib is very tired and I am having one made and going to a roller furler. I have put the jib into some old Hobie cars I had which has tidied it up heaps and works well.

If the jib thing goes ahead well I will come back to you.

My Taipan 4.9 jib is exactly the same luff so one of those would cut down well for you.

Originally posted by Lenedave:

I have a Hydra 16, have just re rigged it after about 8 years of no use with intention of teaching the Mrs and Kids to sail. I no longer have a jib for it! If there is anyone out there that has one or even for something similar that they want to get rid of please let me know.

Thanks for the input.

I have managed to locate a jib at the right price, should pick it up this week. I have not realy sailed the cat enough to comment on upgrades but after all they are quite old cats and any modernising would probably help. Let me know how you go with the anti rotation, ours is a very average setup!

Originally posted by Lenedave:

Thanks for the input.

I have managed to locate a jib at the right price, should pick it up this week. I have not realy sailed the cat enough to comment on upgrades but after all they are quite old cats and any modernising would probably help. Let me know how you go with the anti rotation, ours is a very average setup!

Average is bloody kind if it is anything like mine! A 1to1! : )

I am just going to make it the same as my Taipan. endless through two RF5s and then out to the shrouds,

Same with the downhaul as getting inboard while one up in a blow to deal with that unit on the boom is just too silly. I have a favourite baot shop with a great second hand table.

Originally posted by warbird: I am out of town but whe n back home I will post photos.

• 1 month later...

I too have a Hydra and I like it, but it is also my first boat/cat.

I have trouble understanding what is meant by 'anti rotation'. I think you mean to stop the mast turning, is that right?

The problem I have is the outhaul pushes the boom forward to much which causes the mast to turn (rotate) too much.

I dont see any fittings that could be used to stop that and there are no extra parts when my boat is fully setup except for a 3:1 purchase main sheet which is for light winds instead of the 6:1 I normally use for 10+ knots TWS.

I wonder if someone here could post a photo or diagram of an anti rotation setup so I could see how it may work on my 'Moggy' (Hydra 16) please?

you should have a spanner either above or below the gooseneck attached to the mast pointing backwards,on your boom corosponding to the end of the spanner( above or below) you should either have a saddle or a block which leads back to a cleat on the boom ,usually a couple of foot back from the gooseneck.you tie off a rope to the back of the spanner ,through thr saddle/block then back through the cleat,this is a basic mast rotation set up that the hydra should allready have!!!! if you want the mast to rotate more you let the rope off,if you want to limit the rotation pull the rope tight..

Thanks Village Idiot.

I have the spanner and nothing on the boom except a V cleat mounted underneath the boom 12 inches from the goosneck end.

It doesnt grip the rope very well so I will try thicker rope first.

I think it would be better if I tie off through and behind the cleat and put a small cleated block on the spanner. This would mean my crew would not have to go so far inboard to adjust it (assuming I will find a competent crew).

I think I fixed the problem.

The rope I was using had a hook on one end so I've hooked it to the cleat and put it through a block which has its own inbuilt v-cleat, then shackled this to the spanner.

I hope the cleat on the boom is strong enough, I'm putting tension on the fairlead part of the cleat.

Guess I will just have to get the boat out for a good test run.

Hydras came out with a stopper on the rotation. This was part of the ali fitting at base of mast. This is a set up where the mast cannot over rotate and so self sets up wind.

Many people, including myself have removed these two blocks so we can over rotate downwind.

So there are two reason to limit rotation.

One is to set rotaation for best power and the other is to reduce power. IF you under rotate going up wind this will make the wind lose contact with luff and so lose power.

If you check the style of rotation device on more modern boats you might want to fit it as Hydra anti rotators are just silly. The do however adapt into good voer rotators.

For this you will need a single small block and two twins and two RF5s.

This expense is something you might want to go to once you realise the boat responds very well to mast settings and it is a pain to move into the tramp to try to achieve this.

The mast base fittings on this boat are aimed at crew style sailing so if you single hand yopu will also end up with an out to shroud downhaul.

Good luck on a fun boat.

Originally posted by PP:

I think I fixed the problem.

The rope I was using had a hook on one end so I've hooked it to the cleat and put it through a block which has its own inbuilt v-cleat, then shackled this to the spanner.

I hope the cleat on the boom is strong enough, I'm putting tension on the fairlead part of the cleat.

Guess I will just have to get the boat out for a good test run.

• 4 months later...

As stated before this is the first place i have seen people having hydra's, i have over only seen 1 out of where i live. lol we might be makin a come back biggrin.gif i have 2 other hydra's too sail numbers 689 and 991, and i have a mate that has 2 too but not too sure bout his sail numbers

• 4 weeks later...

Originally posted by darcy1945:

We have 1 Hydra racing regular at Mannering Pk,(S/E corner of Lake Macquarie), and would like to see more, Ph Darcy 0243591729, or come to the Brass Monkey Jun 9 10 11 at Toukley SC (see NOR on their site)

I am keen to sail mine with like boats so I will probably join Mannering Park for the coming season, just need to get the required insurance first.

I assume the Brass Monkey event was called off due to the weather, will it be re-scheduled?

[This message has been edited by PP (edited 16 June 2007).]

Originally posted by Emmessee:

there is a Hydra on ebay

$5000 starting price! Seems very expensive for an older Hydra - Brissy Cat centre said Hydras with sail numbers over 1000 are the newer version, this one is 858.

It has been repainted too which makes you wonder what the paint is covering?