14' - F14 cat challenge

Darryl J Barrett

Get over it darryl. I you've already mentioned that. Hey just trying to make some suggestions. Take them on board or don't I don't care. I love an argument so i don't even mind that this has degenerated into nothing but childish personal attacks. I appreciate the fact that you are stoked with the performace of your "Superior" new craft. But lets keep things in perspective. You have no class until a few people decide to build an f14 or buy one off you. Let us know when you've got 20 - 50 boats at your nationals and ill come and race you. Your pathetic challenges will get you no where. And pissing off potential customers won't either.

I wont bother you in your world again. Your welcome to join us other 14 sailors in the real world anytime.

CS

Firstly i live in adelaide have seen darryls boat up close i have also raced againsted it the platform is very well built mast and sail are also good. But centre boards need to be looked at are way to wide for the size and weight of the boat also spinnaker needs a lot of work it's more like a jib than a spinnaker any one out there who builds a f14 with a proper A spinnaker will flog it down wind they will be low and fast where darryl will be high and slow. Just so everyone out there noes I sail an f18 and have chased this boat down wind and up wind and it's overall package is by far the best we have seen so far, Im also very interested in what's happening in f14 and f16 as we will get out of f18 soon and will look to these classes see you on the water

Danny have you been reading my notes???

The "spinnaker" that we are using at the moment is cut from a Genoa pattern but out of spinnaker cloth so that we can "chute" it. It is also a very forgiving sail and we use it as a "reacher". We are going to use it for a while to "get the feel" of sailing the F14 with kite i.e. sorting out the operations of setting, retracting, sheeting, easing the spinnaker and or the main when overloaded, etc, soon we will use a much fuller, deeper setting kite. The kite we are using at present is, after all, only 9 sqm in area, so we still have a lot of latitude to play with.

Centre boards?? well Antony has been pushing me for some time to mould up some higher aspect C/B's and that could well be on the agenda soon>

Darryl,

Will be out that way after Easter (30 - 31 March). Would it be possible to take a look at your boat either Wednesday or Thursday afternoon?

Don't really know my way around in SA so any clues/directions will help.

• 2 weeks later...

Darryl,

Thankyou for staying back so that I could take a look at your new F14. It really looks great. Don't really think there is much point to bring ZAX up to race against it.... but looking forward to a test sail in the near future.

Great effort

cheers!

John.

It was a real pleasure meeting you John, I am sorry that I only realised afterwards that you had come "straight from work" and probably hadn't eaten. If the same circumstances apply next time we meet I will remember my manners a bit better and invite you home to "meet the family" have some dinner and watch some videos of sailing.

As I said when you were here, I have a short DVD of the AO F14 sailing, if you email me an adress I will sent you a copy, conversly, when you are back here I will get it to you.

Darryl

• 8 months later...

In the full (long, boring) F14 constitution and box rule, it allows "any pre-existing 14' cat" to be able to compete with/against any F14 that fully complies to the F14 box rule. Besides, the F14 association is only more than pleased to race fully compliant F14's against ANY/every 14' cat, for across the line first wins, the only restriction being that the total sail area of the non F14 compliant 14' cat does not exceed 300 sq ft in area, (which is a greater area than the total area allowed for a fully compiant F14)

Originally posted by PTiger Dean:

Paper Tigers aren't Applicable to the rules!!!

I'm outraged we PT sailors can't comply to the F14 due to our beams are 2.3m to the legal 2.28m

You need to change the rules so all cats can compete in this class

What sort of measuring tape are you using??? must be made out of bungee!!

http://www.bur.st/~h20melon/other/aptca/Specs.htm

PT is 7ft wide, 2.13m!!!! if yours is 2.3 then thats something you need to address.

my maricat is wider than that smile.gif

Archived