Windrush 14 rudders

Walligator

• 4 weeks later...

Hey jeff

no races at Wallagoot for a while (Dammit!). I might be able to supply aluminium boxes, hardwood, templates and shaping tools if you're interested in making some cheapies. It'd take about 3 hours each side, plus extra mucking around fitting them to the boat. Not worth it if you value your time, but if you've got time and want to have a go, let me know; tonyquoll@yahoo.com

Paper Tiger 2901 "Tigerdelic"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am looking for some rudders for an old windrush 14, I have the wooden type that are just to old to repair, was thinking of trying to make some. Does anyone have any they are trying to sell, its just for pleasure use. I am after any type that will fit.

In the situation of restoring an old Paper Tiger, worth maybe $200, it would have been crazy to buy new blades at $700+.

My solution was to shape some out of hardwood (Tassie Oak, otherwise known as Gunns logged glorious old-growth Mountain Ash).

I made a blank of the right thickness and outline shape, created a template, put a sanding disk on an angle grinder, and then turned the bit I didn't want into sawdust. Works a treat, lasted a year so far and still good.

The section is a parabolic elipse front edge, with flat trailing edges, similar to NACA0010 profile. I can email it to you. tonyquoll@yahoo.com

Some people saw the varnshed wood and said "It'll break! You have to fibreglass it!"

What they mean is fibreglass coated softwood laminate (cedar + maple), is the old standard. Hardwood is so much stronger it doesn't need fibreglass, but the thin edges are a bit fragile. Also, they warp if left in the sun.

Old Maricat blades are shaped marine ply. Same deal; heavy but strong & cheap to make.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Walligator,

I'm a Newbie here but am also restoring an 80's Windrush 14. Have had one rudder repaired but other has split, exposing core to the elements so that it has expanded in the area of the tiller cheeks. So have ordered another from Windrush in WA at $317. They're out of stock so I'm marking time. Meanwhile I'd be happy to let you have the oldie at postage cost if ur interested, to repair or to use as a template. It's some months since you posted on here so maybe you've been sorted in the meantime?

Regards

Hockeye

Hockeye

I'm assuming that your deep blades are the older style straight trailing edge versions?

When you ordered the new blade from Brett at Windrush did you tell him that you need the straight trailing edge version?

Otherwise you'll have one with a straight trailing edge and one with a convex trailing edge.

Just a heads up.

Michael 6327 Windrush S/S

Good Point Michael!! I'm still finding out about the various versions on the Marques of the Windie 14. After my posting to Walligator yesterday, I read back thru this forum and discovered the differences between Mk 1 & 2 Windies. I'm fairly certain I have bulkheads so I must have a Mk 2. (It's not located at home so I'll check in a couple of weeks. However I've got the deep rudder at home and will let both Walligator and Brett know if it's got a straight trailing edge.

Thanks for your helpful advice. Do you have an answer for my other posting??

Hockeye

• 2 weeks later...

Archived