Removing sign writing from gelcoat

shwell

Hi Shwell

I actually know that boat, haven't seen it for some time though.

I recently found that using a single sided razor blade to just very pick up a corner and peel it off is best. If you work very carefully you can fluke it and a whole letter at a time, but 9 times out of 10, it will break, not once but many times. Then use acetone to clean off the remaining glue, which is also a messy job.

I've peeled vinyl numbers of a pentax main, which is much harder than if it were the normal sail number material, because it stretches unlike the vinyl.

Regards

Matt

AVOID USING HEAT TO REMOVE ANYTHING ON A GLASS BOAT!!! OR TIMBER FOR THAT MATTER...

You could try what Matt suggested, a single blade scraper available from most hardware stores for 5 or 6 bucks. Failing that, Acetone will be the only option to remove it. You must be careful as acetone will also soften gelcoat if it's exposed to long. You could try a non-caustic paint remover, just do a small "trial" or test patch. Once all cleaned off use polishing cream (non-abrasive type) and gentle buff with a foam pad and 9 inch polisher/sander.

Good Luck,

Regards,

Leroy

[This message has been edited by Leapin Leroy (edited 11 June 2007).]

Gday Den,

I've since been warned of the brighter gelcoat under the writing problem. Have you had any experience with bleach?

I'll do a little bit and see how it comes up. Let me know if you're down this way and come and have a sail with Harry.

Originally posted by pondskum:

Oven cleaner is the go with painted sign writing if its been on there since new it will leave a shaddow of brighter white gelcoat under the sign writing and you will have to give the boat a good polish to help blend it in.

Yeh funny you ask about bleach I used it on the white tops of the hull on the Hobie 14 as it took all the spots and grime off that would not polish out at the start of the season it seemed to work great, then I washed it down with soapy water and waxed it with Starbrite teflon polish. This will make you laugh I would use Mr sheen every morning before we would race and wipe the hulls down I still do it on the painted surface of the Paper Tiger.I think it was more of a mind set if it looks clean it must be fast. Next time I am down your way I will take you up on that sail I am smiling now just thinking about it.

Funny you should mention using Mr Sheen to give your hulls that clean look... I knew some White Water Kayakers who would use armour all to remove the white scratch appearance from their plastic boats, it looked great BUT the Kayaking fraternity went ballistic about the petroleom based chemicals being put into the rivers and creeks! So be careful who you mention that to!

I also agree, clean and shiny MUST be fast!

• 1 month later...

Take it from a retired shipwright Oven cleaner is the best. it will not harm gelcoat or even two pack paint (what do you think the inside of your oven is coated with). Peel off you bastard is the same as all the citrus based sticker removal products , it works eventually but only on adhesives and not on paint. Shellac is also good for adhesive removal but will not touch paint either. Acetone is too strong. Scrapers are likely to damage the gelcoat, one slip and you wont forgive yourself. If you have a problem with oven cleaner (and i dont know why you would) try sheets of newspaper soaked in mineral turpentine and stuck on until the turps evaporates from the paper and it falls off will do the same job but takes two or three goes and is quite tedious.

Formely aladavric now stb-tack

hmmmmm ...

(what do you think the inside of your oven is coated with)

..well, I know mine is coated with vitreous enamel which is a baked on glass, so it is totally impervious to anything.

I would be very careful about eating anything that came out of your oven if as you think it's coated with either gel coat or two pack paint.

• 5 months later...

Archived