Replace the wires?

PP

I have a Hydra and I notice the shrouds and forestay have all got 1 or 2 snapped strands in the wire.

My question is should I replace them myself or not?

I am quite capable of the mechanical work but not sure if there is some reason I should have it done professionally?

Originally posted by darcy1945:

Bucko,s Ph 43931455, $90 would replace in plastic coated with uncoated cheaper. Hydras dont have a big rig, if you have the gear do it your self or come round and i'll help. Definitly replace anything with even 1 broken strand and check your dolphin striker. (if fitted). Ph 43591729.

Thanks Darcy, I can hire the swager and do it myself, the mast shrouds have turn buckles so the only thing is setting the correct tension, is there an easy way to measure the tension in the existing ones so I can set the new ones the same?

No striker.

Originally posted by xmatelot:

Hi PP,

When you say "mast shrouds", do you mean "diamond wires"?.

pete smile.gif

Yes, they go from near top to bottom of the mast via a spreader.

The shrouds have adjustable end parts where they hook onto the chainplates but the tension in the diamond wires is important I think.

Darcy, I probably cant race next week at Mannering Park but would love to, I need to find economical insurance first.

My opinion after searching 6 months ago is that the insurers dont really have a suitable product for an old $1200 boat which gets used once a week if the weather is good in a place where the main (almost only) at risk person is the owner himself.

YA were no help either

[This message has been edited by PP (edited 10 September 2007).]

Hi,

The diamond wire tension is important, but as long as the tension on either is the same, most guys just push the wires in to the mast,( maybe about 300 ml up from the bottom,),it all depends on what "prebend" you want. I am sure someone at your local sailig club will give you on the spot advice.

RE Insurance, have you tried "MarineHull"?

pete smile.gif

Originally posted by Leapin Leroy:

Try them all for "Third Party, Fire (?) & Theft" cover, my dearly beloved is an Insurance Broker, she tells me that most company's will cover you for the usual $5mill T.P. cover etc. for about $90-120.00.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

If third party fire and theft also cover public liability then I guess that would do.

Q. is 'does it cover Public Liability when social racing the boat?'

Originally posted by xmatelot:

Hi,

The diamond wire tension is important, but as long as the tension on either is the same, most guys just push the wires in to the mast,( maybe about 300 ml up from the bottom,),it all depends on what "prebend" you want. I am sure someone at your local sailig club will give you on the spot advice.

RE Insurance, have you tried "MarineHull"?

pete smile.gif

Thanks Pete; info I was looking for so I will do it myself.

Hey Darcy, would you like to help me with your swager?

Also Darcy, guy I work with says his name is Steve and his friend Darcy sails at Mannering Park, can you guess where I work?

I can't get a quote below $220 for the $5m public liability, They want a photo of the cat plus a boat check report confirming its seaworthiness from the builder or boat dealer. There's a $100 excess on a claim. I've tried three of the major boat insurance firms and they are all $220 plus for a 20 year old 4m cat. Any tips on where to go?

How much do owners of new nacra/A class/hobie/Capricorn/F18's pay??

Hi,

"This is just my own personal opinion."

I believe that insurance should be compulsory, I also believe that seaworthiness inspections should be a must, similar to motor vehicle roadworthy cerificates.

Keen sailors usually keep their boats in a safe condition,either by their own knowledge, or someone elses.

I have seen many,many boats that should never be allowed near water, and their owners apparently completely unaware of the danger.

I believe that insurance companies are within their rights to ask for a guarantee that the boat is in fact in a safe condition.

Again I say that this is a personal opinion.

pete

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 12 September 2007).]

I think I hijacked my own thread here, so I have started a new one titled "Insurance time".

Please use that for the insurance issue.

I was going to use s/s wire from Bias Boating, 1/19, 3.2mm cat no.9883 which is rated @ 953kg. for the diamond wires.

For flexibility in the forestay and shrouds 7/19, 4mm, cat no.9875 rated @ 1089kg.

Is this overkill for the shrouds?

Should I not use flexible for some reason?

Darcy - no Steve hasn't got a boat, try again.

I will definately give you a ring when I have the parts.

Paul.

[This message has been edited by PP (edited 13 September 2007).]

Archived