sailing the stingray solo

hey there great shots, that looks like an awesome place to sail. What was the wind like down there?

also sailing a stingray big rig single handed must be a challenge, was it? and how long did it take to get the skill to be able to handle one by your self? what was is the hardest thing about it?

cheers

the place was awesome to sail, the weather was absolutely perfect.

the wind was around 12 knots?? i tranged from about 5 knots on the first leg and then came up to about 15 i reckon, at this point i was considering pulling out as it was a massive course and i didnt want to get into trouble on my onesies!!!.

it wasnt too bad in the flat water and perfect wind strength for my size. im touching 100kg. so its no different to sailing an arrow, just for bigger kids!!!. however if i had the kite setup i would have ran that on probably three of the legs!!. i dont think i nneded any extra skills than any other trapezeing skipper has. i have steered I14's for about 10 years and have sailed cats for about 5 years now. the trick was i just took my time and prepared early for mark roundings, boards and jib on as well as traveller or main sheet set early so i only had to worry about either sheeting on or pulling traveller up as i rounded a mark. and i didnt worry too much about picking every wind shift and tacking every three minutes. i tacked when the water was flat and the wind wasnt gusting too much. so i was fairly conservative around the course. which i guess is why i got beaten by 45 seconds on yardstick!!!

hey there great shots, that looks like an awesome place to sail. What was the wind like down there?

also sailing a stingray big rig single handed must be a challenge, was it? and how long did it take to get the skill to be able to handle one by your self? what was is the hardest thing about it?

cheers

Don't give him too much praise or he'll get a big head :p

Looks good Brian! Will you be at Kingston? I have just been given the all clear from Daishsat on that weekend so I'm in! Brett is in, I think Todd and Rex are as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived