Yasi - The Big One

phil_taipan117

Looks like Cyclone Yasi is going to be a high Category 5 (wind gusts over 300 km/hr) by the time it crosses the coast near Cairns. This is the 1 in 50 year super storm that meteorologists always seem to reference. I remember a couple of cat 5 cyclones crossing the WA coast in the last 10 to 15 years but they did not cause much damage given the sparse population up that way.

If I was living in or around Cairns, I would have packed up family, boat, dog, insurance forms and passport about 2 days ago and driven as far out of the place as I could go.

I am dreading the destruction that this one will leave behind. I expect Joolia will need to introduce a cyclone levy for us southerns to pay.

Good luck if you are still in Cairns and are preparing to sit this one out. Don't expect any sleep tonight.

My entire family are in Cairns. They have bunkered down and gonna sit it out. Apparently THOUSANDS flew out on special chartered flights overnight though.

We sure have had quite a few weeks up here! I'm in Toowoomba so we have just had that big flood etc etc here too. We lost a car in it. Cops called yesterday to ask a few questions about it. Apparently they have 900 cars from Toowoomba CBD alone to work out what the heck happened with.

Archived