Concord Ryde 14ft Cat Day

Pointed Reply

Pity it's on a Saturday... many ppl work on Saturdays - Sundays are still R & R for most...

Got me thinking... as the numbers of 14s on the water seems to be 'frozen' or diminishing, maybe it is time for a 14ft Catamaran Association... whose members actively travelled to various events, or nominated clubs within a certain radius of Sydney that they would actively attend…

I think that if its members could agree to attend a certain number of regattas/events/races at certain clubs, then everyone would win... and the overall numbers of 14's at any one event would increase...

Strength in numbers kinda thing...

Has anyone else considered this approach?

The Maricat Assoc had a super series a couple of years ago covering the main 14ft regattas to try to get maximum numbers at nominated events and try to get a few new members into the association by charging a race fee instead of an annual fee. Mostly we just got the usual crowd.

The NSW 14ft friendly circuit could be:

Mannering Park 14ft October,

ACT Muti Hulls October

Kembla Klassic November

Toukley Christmas

Mannering Park Open January

Koonawarra February

Concord Ryde February

Wallagoot March

Batemans Bay April

Toukley Brass Monkey June

Port Stephens July

With one event nominated as the State Titles.

Hi,

I see that that Sydney clubs other than Concord-Ryde have been left out?

What about Kurnell and Pittwater? If we want to try to re-energise the fleets in and around Sydney, instead of simply letting them dwindle, then the focus should be on Concord-Ryde, Kurnell, and Pittwater. Clubs that are within 2 to 3 hours drive of Sydney CBD could be considered 'secondary' venues... for example Mannering Park, Port Kembla, Port Stephens etc

Or, should Sydney be left as a 'black hole' - and the focus be elsewhere? IMHO, it's because there has been no active promotion in and around Sydney that the nuimbers have declined, not simply coz everyone has moved to F18's and higher performance boats like Taipans, Vipers and Tigers...

Surely there must be equal emphasis on promoting the entry-level, 'easy/fun/simple' boats in order to increase participation in general...

Of course, we're really talikng about the Maricat and Windrush - as the Paper Tiger seems to be relatively healthy... but what beginner sailor wants to have to deal with centreboards and a comparitively uncomfortable/technically inclined, fragile catamaran?

So, I believe that if the 'plastic cats' want to somehow re-energise the scene, then they have to work together... and forget class rivalry... put on some joint events where the strength of both classes was evident - and see how things pan out...

I think the 14s need to realise that unless consistent promotion is undertaken (jointly) in and around Sydney, not much will change...

The reason sydney figured so little is that Rodney has nominated the clubs where all the main 14' fleets are. There is very few "active" 14 foot class association members who live in Sydney. In the main the locations are for the Maricat class anyway are newcastle/lake maquarie/port stephens, woollongong, canberra, Ryde/concorde and Rodney in Tumut but his enthusiasm makes up a whole division on its own, (who else regularly drives for 14 hours round trip for 2 days sailing when others wont even drive 40 minutes to attend an event). So you'll need to convince us why we should be trying to get more people sailing 14's in Sydney CBD eg Pittwater, yes we'd support concorde/ryde and also Kurnell as their blokes normally support the other clubs, (although Kurnell sailors in the 14's have not been as prevelant as they used to be). Pete Breadan tried to foster interest in a 14' association about 2 years, 18 months ago in order to spread the load for insurance for titles etc (a cost which is starting to kill the NSW Maricat Assoc). That we all come under a 14' assoc umbrella, but we are still free to hold our own titles for each class, or to merge titles as each assoc saw fit for numbers. Pete could'nt get enough interest to make it worthwhile, and so dropped the idea. If enough class assoc are keen we can get something up and going again, but someone else needs to carry the flag this time.

OK, however it seems that the focus is on what is, and servicing the existing fleet, rather on what may develop. Is Sydney seen as a lost cause, and that it's a waste of time to try to renew interest in the 'grass roots' ?

If that's the case, then all the 14s can hope for is more of the same. I mean nothing changes unless a different approach is tried. Joint promotion, combined events, and media participation is probably the only way that overall numbers (and public awareness) will increase.

I fully appreciate it's easier to get existing sailors to attend more events/regattas - but where do new catamaran sailors come from?

Sometimes it's more about the questions asked, rather than to try to get the 'already converted' to do more...

To add just a little more... I think we (as 'plastic cat' owners) wanted a boat that wasn't too technical, was pretty easy to maintain, and fun to sail... and could be launched without major hassles off the beach – so now we as 'plastic cat' owners need to be a little less self-serving' - and try to see the bigger picture... and band together if needs be.

The Paper Tigers seem to be doing OK - so whats their 'secret'?

Is it price of entry? Is it a strong class association? Is it good self-promotion? Can't be ease of use or the 'fun-factor' - coz the Windies and Maricats have it all over them there... so logically it's these pluses that have to be promoted and brought to the attention of the general public. It's a competition in Sydney between many options as to how you spend your one day off - as that's the most Sydney-siders usually get... so whatever they do has to be seen to be simple, fun and easy to get into. The apparent 'complexity' of the Paper Tiger isn't conducive to get newcomers interested...

And hard-core racing talk and 2-day marathon regattas may be good for those already converrted, but will only serve to alienate newbies...

Pleez understand that I'm only playing devil's advocate - and that sure, I'm a Windrush 14 sailor who sees this patricular design as the most suitable for promoting the 14s - well at the very least Windrush still advertise the boat - right?

Paper Tiger sailors and associations make an effort to welcome any newcomers, and provide a lot of support and tuition to sailors at all levels. The friendships formed between sailors seems to be the main thing that has kept many in the class. PT numbers may seem relatively high, but there are two things to consider about that:

- PTs are racing boats, which attract people keen to race, and so they are seen at racing events. The family friendly plastic boats may be more abundant, but less raced.

- PT numbers consist of a lot of very familiar faces. The recent Nationals did include quite a few newbies; due to a boom at the host club, Lauderdale (near Hobart).

I advocate promotion and creating events that allow people to experience the fun of sailing 14' cats. Examples are Try Sailing Day, club sailing schools, and just taking your mates out for joy rides. Over the weekend, at the Twofold Bay Regatta, I defected to the NS14 and was very pleased with their welcoming and supportive attitudes. They had 72 boats at last year's states, and have the advantage of attracting couples. 2 Pts entered; Max on "the Mystery Tiger" and Chris sailing "Tigerdelic". Chris is an experienced sailor on a 14' cat for the first time. He loved it and now talks of buying one!

Perhaps the "secret" to the Paper Tiger's success is that that most of the boats are amateur homebuilt jobs meaning that the cost can be spread out over a longer period of time while you are building it, whereas both the Windy and the Mari would probably set you back about $12000 before you even hit the water.

Harry

One reason regattas in Sydney were not on my list is the cost of accommodation near events. At the clubs mentioned, there are caravan parks next door or close by or you can camp at the clubs. We support CRSC as they have a healthy fleet of maricats. A 10 hours round trip is a bit much for a one day sail.

While a new Maricat can cost you $12000, there are good foamies around for $8000. You can also pick up a good Mk2 with decent sails for about $3000. An old boat to learn on can cost a little as $500.

The Maricat Association would be very happy to reopen discussions on a 14ft cat association.

This year with the support of the PTs and Maricats, Batemans Bay will have a 14ft cat start. With a separate start we are encouraging other 14s to come and join the fun without being monstered by the big cats.

There is very good comradary between the 14s, plus good healthy competition. We even let the NACRA 430s come and play !!

I ended up making it. It was nice to be able to drive down the road and go for a sail for a change. Definitely a good day! I was put off a little by the ever changing wind direction and the short distances between each marker, but that's what you get when you're sailing the bay I suppose. Absolutely still prefer the expansiveness and consistency of Lake Mac.

I'd like to say that I really enjoyed the day at CRSC, I have had bad regattas at ryde before, (all my own doing) yes the wind is challenging, yes the tide is a force to be reckoned with, the motor boat traffic (ferries) are a PITA but the guys to sail with were all really welcoming, the sun was warm, the water was cooling. Yeh a good day. Thanks CRSC.

Phil

You think Lake Mac was nice last weekend - I tell you it was far from - I sailed the Careel 18 nats at Wangi. Saturday was ok apart from the yachts and big cats out of Wangi (my kids were working out which way to jump at one stage - Shaun in his X3 shot past within inches!) the wind was ENE but Sunday was completely different, light, shifty Westerlies with one sqaull of 10-15 between races but the rest was sooo light - just like old Blighty so I was a pig in 5h1t.

OK, don't know about on handicap/yardstick but on scratch I think 2 2nds for the morning sprints and a narrow 4th for the afternoon race, the visitors placing are not on the CRSC website, so I only know scratch. 4th in the last race may have been a 3rd only for my lack of sailing ability and lack of local knowledge and race strategy allowing me to drift about around 3 metres from the finish line whilst Rick seemingly came from no where and sailed straight past under me and across the finish to take 3rd behind Warren P and Adrian, oh well, thats sailing I guess, but it was a really great day anyway.

Archived