Trapeze Harness

Fish

Easy, the best one is the one that fits you without being uncomfortable over an extended period of time. I suggest you try and borrow some and just "hang" and see which one is to your liking. Having done that, then go and buy the best one of those that you can afford. I don't place a lot of value in brand names because not everyone is built the same, to repeat go for the one that fits you the best.

Harry

I have a Gill with straps everywhere - slow to get on and off, but reasonably comfortable. The simple Burkes I had before were just uncomfortable, but like Loose Change said, we ain't all built the same, so whatever fits! A lot of people locally (Sydney Nthn Beaches) rave about Bigfoot harnesses, made in Brookvale.

I have a Zhik one. It cost me $350 which puts it in as probably the most expensive on the market (that I've seen). It's also the simplest and most comfortable one that I tried out - far more so than the the Gill and Burke ones. Putting it on is as simple as climbing into it, pulling it up and doing up one clip. Adjustment over shoulders is like backpack straps and around the waist is wide velcro straps that don't come undone. Also seat is like kevlar and crotch is made from an stretchy stuff which means that you don't get your package caught up.

T2-Harness-Front-WEB.jpg

http://www.zhik.com/ProductDetails.aspx?category=1&element=62&PKID=4460&CategoryID=263

I've used Ronstan, Burke, Gill, Hobie & Magic Marine harnesses.

The Burke harness was like sailing in a g-string... might uncomfortable.

The Ronstan spreaderbar harness just wasn't comfortable no matter what you adjusted.

The Gill spreader bar harness was comfy and adjustable and not too bad on price.

The Gill skiff harness i didnt like the kidney straps.

The Hobie ratchet harness was comfy but didnt last long and I dont believe it was worth the money because it didnt last long.

The Magic Marine Ultimate harness is my all time favourite. Yes it has alot of straps but my god is it comfortable and when you have 2 slipped discs in your lower back like I do, you'd pay anything to find one thats good.

I believe ALL the ZHIK gear is overpriced for what it is.

The 2 harnesses I'd wear are the Magic Marine Ultimate and the Gill Spreader Bar. Both are in the mid-high $200 but worth the money.

Michael

Windrush S/S 6327

I agree whole heartedly with Micheal, sailing in the Burke harness was painful, it had a habit of pinching tender bits, the magic marine harness I got second hand from Mick Colecliffe who decided he did'nt need a trapeze anymore, very adjustable, I don't know what it cost originally, comfortable, I can even adjust it to have a leak off the end of the boat if needed without needing to disrobe, (this is if it is a no wetsuit day), (everyone just needed to know that did'nt you). 1st thing I did was to jetison the little spring clip on the hook that is I guess supposed to keep you attached to the wire as the mast and sail is falling into the water. I've never missed it yet.

Phil

I'm going to buck the trend. I use a waist harness (made for kite-surfing) because it forces me to lay flat rather than sitting. The only faults: it's tough on your abdominals (particularly when you don't have any) and it doesn't allow you to twist foward easily (I like to twist around so my feet are more in the vertical plane rather than the horizontal plane). JB

I know didley about this stuff' date=' but I think you should give the Zhik a go and compare it. Its comfy, adjustable, supportive and functional. I think that's worth the extra $50 or so.[/quote']

I know plenty of people that use their stuff and i've worn a few pieces and its no better than the stuff that is $50 cheaper imo.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to my local sailmaker and asked him to make me a comfortable harness. Based on the nappy style with space for wetsuit and length to suit. It is a really comfy harness. So go and see your local sailmaker and ask if he can make you one! Shop local and talk to your local.OH, buy the way I'm not a sailmaker.

I went to my local sailmaker and asked him to make me a comfortable harness. Based on the nappy style with space for wetsuit and length to suit. It is a really comfy harness. So go and see your local sailmaker and ask if he can make you one! Shop local and talk to your local.OH' date=' buy the way I'm not a sailmaker.[/quote']

the guys that won the F18 division at the Nacra nationals have these as well. with all the "technology" out there they still think the basic design from all those years ago is still the best.

Archived