14' Traveller series for 2011-2012

sando

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 9 regattas is too much. The one thing I think will kill this is people will not want to travel. At this stage we need to establish the series so to many regattas may turn off some people. The other point is we still need to support our own clubs.

The regattas suggested so far will have minimal impact as most are regattas currently attended. I still think we should adopt a maximum of 6 regattas and and select different regattas the following year.

Paul L

So here we go... Inagural NSW 14' Cat Travellers Series 2011/12

First offer regattas to be confirmed with host clubs

1/ Mannering Park ASC 14' Cat regatta, Lake Macquarie 8 & 9 October

2/ Kembla Klassic PKSC, Lake Illawarra 26 & 27 November

3/ Sail Sydney, Pitwater - Host TBA 17 & 18 December

4/ Koonawarra Bay SC 14' Regatta, Lake Illawarra 12 & 13 February

5/ Lake Walagoot SC Regatta 10 & 11 March

6/ Toukley SC, Comodore Darcy to find a date in April (avoid Easter 6-9 Apr) - Batemans Bay regatta is 21 &22

7/ BYRA Peter Loft Marathon 6th May ( 1 race - presentation and BBQ)

In 2012-13 series ACT multihull regatta and Batemans Bay regattas to be considered based on patronage of regattas in the first year.

Contact will now be made with the respective clubs and YA NSW.

Finally, if hits on this forum topic are anything to go by (now over 1000) then we appear to be starting something special.

This thread will be the point of communication for this series - SO STAY TUNED.

As this series will be conducted on an opt in/out basis patronising existing regattas so insurance liability should fall in line with those regattas.

> regattas to be confirmed with host clubs

Wallagoot Lake Boat Club AGM is July 9th, at which I'll try and get the OK change to Koonawarra Yardsticks for 14'cats, and formal OK to include 14' cat traveller series.

At this stage Commodore, Race Secretary and others all encouraging.

Darcy,

I reckon after 19yrs of sailing and 16yrs in the 14ft fold i'm able to make the comments I did.

Typically the winter long weekend regattas are much less attended than non winter regattas.

A) because they are often cold and my perception is most people don't like going sailing when its

B) it often is a drifter or blows like stink (i've sailed both end of the wind range a enough times to justify that when the Brass Monkey was at Long Jetty in both Windrush & Lasers).

C) its at the start of the 3most common lay up months in peoples insurance (June/July/August).

At the end of the day the idea is to have as many people attend these regattas on 14ft cats as possible and to me its not the best event to acheive that.

I won't be attending it this year regardless if it is or isn't a 14ft traveller series regatta. My boat will have a hole in the side of the starboard hull to have some work done and its a layup month on my insurance policy.

Michael

Windrush S/S 6327

As previously stated, if it's not constructive, keep it to yourself. Toukley is a small club that relies on this regatta to pay costs or it will go the way of so many other small clubs (Long Jetty), your non attendance will not make any difference to the success of the Brass monkey or the 14' traveller series, it's 1 for you to drop.

We are suggesting an april regatta at Toukley not no regatta at all, which you previously said was more than do able. But now you seem hell bent on the Brass Monkey regatta.

Add Toukley' date=' the club would find a suitable w/end, and make the series best 6 of 9, I could guarantee 15/20 local boats. Regards, Darcy, Commodore, Toukley ASC.[/quote']

After all the question was asked

Why not use Toukley's Brass Monkey
. I provided a reason for 'why not'. Still stumped as to how its not constructive to post relevant information for a 'why not' arguement...

Anyway i've provided more than my share of thoughts on this. Sando has done alot of work already and there is still alot more to be done. I look forward to it.

So who thinks they will attend which regattas?

Based on Sandos last list of events I reckon I can make these:

1/ Mannering Park ASC 14' Cat regatta, Lake Macquarie 8 & 9 October (maybe, depends on work committments for Bathurst)

2/ Kembla Klassic PKSC, Lake Illawarra 26 & 27 November (yes)

3/ Sail Sydney, Pitwater - Pittwater 17 & 18 December (yes)

4/ Koonawarra Bay SC 14' Regatta, Lake Illawarra 12 & 13 February (yes)

5/ Lake Walagoot SC Regatta 10 & 11 March (no)

6/ Toukley SC, Comodore Darcy to find a date in April (avoid Easter 6-9 Apr) - Batemans Bay regatta is 21 &22 (yes)

7/ BYRA Peter Loft Marathon 6th May ( 1 race - presentation and BBQ) (yes)

Darcy, do you think Toukley would consider hosting a 14' regatta weekend on say 31 March & 1st April?

If not I will approach Batemans Bay as the small cat fleet attendance this year was good due to the maricat titles.

Michael I'm amazed at you, too cold! ooh you poor thing, go sit by the fire and grumble about the weather - sure it is a bit on the cool side at the moment.

Look on Sailing Anarchy front page, there's a fleet of Flying Fifteens sailing last weekend, 5 to 35 knots and I just googled Irish Sea Temperatures and it hasn't been over 13 degrees this month yet - more like 10-12. Our sea temp is 20!

Like I've said elsewhere Draycote Water Sailing Club in the middle of England is open every day but xmas day. Some of the best fleet sailing used to be in the Autumn/Winter/Spring because everyone was there, no regatta distractions to dilute the fleet.

I suggested the Brass Monkey as Toukley's offering but if you poor souls can't stand the warm (it really isn't cold!) then another Central Coast/ Hunter 14 ft regatta would be excellent.

KO

Grand vision for next season:

- Paper Tiger State Titles, Wagga Wagga, 1 & 2 October

1/ Mannering Park ASC 14' Cat regatta, Lake Macquarie 8 & 9 October

- ACT Multihull Champs, YMCA Canberra, 22 & 23 Oct

- ACT Dinghy Cahmps, Canberra YC (NS14), 29 & 30 Oct

2/ Kembla Klassic PKSC, Lake Illawarra 26 & 27 November

3/ Sail Sydney, Pittwater, 17 & 18 December

- Paper Tiger National Titles, Mannering Park, 3 - 8 January, 2012

4/ Koonawarra Bay SC 14' Regatta, 12 & 13 February

- Twofold Bay Regatta (Eden), 18 & 19 Feb

5/ Wallagoot Lake Boat Club Regatta 10 & 11 March

6/ Toukley in April (?)

- Paper Tiger International Titles, McCrae VIC, Easter 6 - 9 April 2012

- Batemans Bay Anzac Regatta 21 & 22 April

7/ BYRA Peter Loft Marathon 6th May (no; not travelling hundreds of km for 1 race!)

Teeny little complication; will be looking for new home and job after end of November. Thinking Illawarra, but anything could happen. I'm qualified in environmental management, conservation & restoration ecology, renewable energy tech., multimedia, design (graphic, industrial, etc), CADD, and more. Will probably create a portfolio/website later on. Sorry about this spam, but please let me know of any opportunities! tonyquoll@yahoo.com

Michael I'm amazed at you, too cold! ooh you poor thing, go sit by the fire and grumble about the weather - sure it is a bit on the cool side at the moment.

Look on Sailing Anarchy front page, there's a fleet of Flying Fifteens sailing last weekend, 5 to 35 knots and I just googled Irish Sea Temperatures and it hasn't been over 13 degrees this month yet - more like 10-12. Our sea temp is 20!

Like I've said elsewhere Draycote Water Sailing Club in the middle of England is open every day but xmas day. Some of the best fleet sailing used to be in the Autumn/Winter/Spring because everyone was there, no regatta distractions to dilute the fleet.

I suggested the Brass Monkey as Toukley's offering but if you poor souls can't stand the warm (it really isn't cold!) then another Central Coast/ Hunter 14 ft regatta would be excellent.

KO

Given that i've seen 'weather' (of which temperature is a factor) effect regatta numbers significantly, to me its not the best regatta to have in a travellers series. due to everything i stated. Don't like what I have to say, don't read it. I'm entitled to my opinion.

And for your knowledge i'm sailing pretty much every weekend for the next 9-10weeks and i've sailing in Kiel when it was 6degrees air temp and 8degrees water temp. So think what you will.

I note you don't rebut the comment about it being the start of the 3 most common layup months though?

Have put out feelers for interest in open cat regatta Toukley 31 Mar-01 Apr, another possible, which is already on the calendar for Mannering Park 14s, is the Stan Vitnell regatta (1st W/end Feb) at Budgewoi (between Mannering Park and Toukley on Lake Munmorah). Stan was a well liked Paper Tiger sailor/manufacturer lost to cancer. This regatta may be to close to Koonawarra for some.

Whadyatryingto do

wrong time of year.

most boats are packed up for winter.

most of us also have layup months in our insurance.

it can blow like stink and be freezing at that time of year too.

Thats why not.

Brass monkey last year was great. There was people there from all over. The winds were kind and the temperature bear able.

I did'nt see you there.

You have now unfortunately discouraged some people from attending this years event with your negative comments. Please explain with your normal eloquence how to rectify the situation.

The event from what I saw is a badge of honour to be shared among those who were dedicated enough to attend.

the weekend of 31 Mar - Apr 1 is 1 week before Paper Tiger Internationals at McCrae, Victoria. It would be too much driving and time off work to do both.

The schedule posted on previous page shows the season is fairly chocka, from Oct to April inclusive.

Very much looking forward to the Toukley Brass Monkey next month; because season has ended here it provides adequate motivation for the long drive to get up there.

I like that the 14' cat traveler series includes existing events; no need to create a new one.

Archived