centrecase gaskets for swing centreboards

stingray580

ok next stage in the winter maintenece program is to replace the old centreboard gaskets, as they have died a most horrible death!!!

the existing remnants look like they are made from a vinyl floor covering almost like lino. i am considering using something like a stencil mylar.

anybody have any experience in this or suggestions?

cheers

Like Paul124ac with the Hydra, I also made mine out of insertion rubber for my Stingray. The trick to making them stick is make sure that everything is meticuously clean, sanding the recesses on the bottom of the hull and sanding the rubber strips themselves and then washing with lots of acetone before applying the contact cement. Make the strip for each hull out of one piece of rubber and only cut the slit as long as you need to and the strip will hug the board almost like a fillet.

Harry

From memory I think mine would have been closer to 3mm thick. My hulls were built by a bloke in Brookvale in the early 70's, his name was John Simpson and iffn my memory still functions he was just around the corner from Flower and Adams the makers of all shit hot Stingray sails back then. Sail number 177, I still have the plans.

Ok, I lied, I just had a look at my plans and they weren't issued till the 24/11/1974 and signed by Geoff Clarke so my hulls were built early 1975. I remember picking them up from John Simpson's shop in my Kombi and driving through the Cross to get back home and everyone looking at the hulls ...and then at me. What were they thinking? I don't recall how much of the hulls was poking out the back of the Kombi but I know it was a bloody lot, these days you would be nabbed by the cops in the first minute of attempting anything like this. White with egg yellow bottom and stained Bruynzeel Gaboon decks, gees that was a pretty looking boat.

• 3 weeks later...

ok ive managed to purchase the insertion rubber from clarkes. 100mm x 1.5mm. im going with the single piece and cut the slit down the middle once it has been glued on. it seems pretty slippery so hopefully it wont grab onto the plate as im coming back to the beach. that can only end in tears.

Archived