Lake Cootharaba [ just north of Noosa]

Moaiman

Hi Guys,

Finally got some fun wind [around 13K] which was very enjoyable. I was surprised that we virtually had the place to our selves! On a previous occasions it has been 20 k +. Not good for a newbie. Very stressful! The lake has heaps of room to play around in. When I come in and park the boat everything is so close . One minute later I'm at the shop ordering lunch. Then it's back out again. I was surprised how tired i was after a day out. I sail a Nacra 5.2 Number 1114. Hope to see someone else one day !

Cheers Peter

Saw you out there on Saturday Peter - went for a sail myself later on. Club racing is on Sundays where there is a good mixed fleet of cats and monos. The lake is one of the best regatta venues in Australia and hosts many national titles and a Worlds in the past. We sail up until easter when there is a regatta on Fri, Sat Sun for anyone who truns up. The website is here http://www.lcsc.org.au/mam/

It's 50 minutes from Mooloolaba.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Well you sunshine coast sailors sure have a gem out there... Kids and I only had limited time this arvo but it was the best sail we ever had. Wind ranged from not quite enough for thrills, to just enough for thrills! Which is perfect when you have the kids on board.

Long long reaches are not easy to find on our river at home. And that lake just goes on and on.

Plus what a pretty camping area!

I'd prefer a proper boat ramp. My trailer is designed for a wet launch but we managed OK...

Boreen Point - all I did was look up the lake cootharaba sailing club and follow my GPS. I wish I had more time to explore - as it was, I arrived there at after 3.30pm so there wasnt any time to look around, I just saw the beach, dragged the cat in, rigged, sailed for about 45 mins and then loaded her back up...

I saw some larger yachts in there (none sailing) and a lady sailing a sabre. Also couple learning to windsurf.

My kids were happy to point out that we were the 'fastest boat on the lake today' :)

I camped @ Boreen Point earlier in the year with the family and some friends. Certainly a fantastic spot for camping, sailing, paddling, fishing, swimming and putting afew beers away watching the sun set. The kids had an absolute ball and I really hope to visit there again this coming Spring/Summer.

I can only find the one pic atm of my old Kula Cat sitting on the beach. Without wheels it was super easy to just wheel into the water (5-10 metres from the road).

There was another sailor camping with a 14ft Calypso and the first thing he did was sail to the mangroves on the Noosa North shore side of the lake with several crab pots. Unfortunately I left the next day and didn't see if he caught anything but he was pretty confident having done this many times before.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1443[/ATTACH]

post-49877-13778265977142_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have had my nacra 5.8 out at boreen point a few times now ... last monday we went to lake weyba ... it was ok also but a bit shallow around the edges... so much room at boreen point ... anyone got any tips foy getting tanin stains off?

Any citrus based cleaner or even fresh orange juice

Archived