what cats are manufactured or imported into OZ

QB2

Are Hobie 16 and 18's still being built here?

Cobra? Stingray? Seawind 24"s

Are there any cats manufactured or assembled here in addition to

Maricat, Calypso, Hobie Tiger, Windrush, A class, Taipan, F18 Capricorn, Nacra, Paper Tiger?

Are tornadoes mass produced or homebuilt?

So if we want to introduce young/new people to cat sailing to boost clubs and the level of competition what options are there?, A mari, windy, Hobie or PT for an intro boat or is there any consideration for F12/F14 development classes and preferably at a competitive price to interest the masses.

Where is the next H14/16, laser equivalent etc?

I was quite interested in the Multihull World mag article on the F12 cats being constructed in NZ.

I thought the parameters of design in relation to time taken to assemble and the ability of the cat to be pulled down easily are great and significant attributes. The 'box' specifications are an issue, young crews should be looking at enhancing and developing skills to win races rather than look forward to a 'faster' boat.

A 12 foot cat is a good step at increasing younger participation.

Cheers

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

The only remaining manufacturer in Aust that has moulds for Tornado's is Windrush yachts. Brett recently flopped one from his mould for himself. The biggest manufacturer is Marstrom in Sweeden. AHPC sold off their tornado mould (i think the Aust Tornado Association bought it).

The Markovich's were involved in a 12ft Cat design with the people that built the Gemini (the factory burnt down and they lost their moulds). It looked great but didnt really take off.

The catamaran version of the a Laser is the Paper Tiger or Maricat we don’t really need to make more new class boats we need to support the current class boats.

Every different class we make dilutes the current classes both these boats are affordable have fairly stable rules and have more than enough grunt to scare someone learning to sail.

They both have large fleets I think the Paper Tigers rarely get less than 30 boats to any state or national title. I like technology as much as anyone but look at the number of new cats and dinghy’s designed in the last 5 -10 years and besides the 29er and 49er the rest of the fleets are very small to extinct.

Archived