What lubricant to ease sail raising (Old Maricat 3.4)

T5AUS

+1 on that, or any silicone spray.

If the sail is old then consider that the bolt rope has probably shrunk. It's usually tacked at the foot, release the tacks and let it ride up into the sleeve. Put another bit of poly rope to keep the sail in the track at the foot, tack it through with whipping twine. Allows you to pull the downhaul and the sail into a much better shape.

J

As K O Jimbo said, with old Maris, the bolt rope shrinks and the sail bunches up making them hard to raise (particularly the last bit as the bunching increases), The bolt rope is hand sewn at the tack and it is easy to undo the 6/8 stitches then stretch the sail down (you should find that the bolt rope will be 8/10 inches up the sail when you finish) If you are not racing it is not necessary to re sew to the sail. (I have never found an old sail which does not require this fix)

• 1 year later...

Thanks Darcy...Something to clarify, I would have thought that it would be better not to stitch the sail to the rope down the bottom so any downhall is only applied to the sail, if they were stitched would it not just bring the whole sail down the track?

And if it is stitched, should the sail be stretched out as much as possible before hand? Is there a bit of stretch in the rope that is normally used?

my tuppence : without stitching you run the risk of the old, hard bolt rope bunching up inside the sail pocket, if you stitch then it might be better to replace with a new rope.

on my new Eastwind sail Dave (sailmaker) left a 'tail' of about six inches and didn't stitch the bottom in. Logic was that over time the rope can shrink and the tail will shorten.

Archived