May we have a Calypso Sailors's sub-forum, please?

Yeah that was at westlakes, I didn;t want to take it out on the ocean the first time I sailed her just to be safe. Westlakes was a really good place to go, theres a ramp about 150m south of the actual rowing club that is bettewr for public use. Only bad things about sailing there is that there were boys everywhere for rowing (I accidently moved about 10 of them when they got caught on my rudders) and stupid aquatics kids on sailboards and stuff, mind you it was awesome fun to race some of the aquatics boats and flog them :)

Hills' date=' the bolt rope on your main has shrunk, hence the horizontal wrinkles at the luff, a decent 4 to 1 or 6 to 1 downhaul/cunningham would help (will also allow you to better shape the main for more power), also with a full width traveller the boom vang is redundant and just gets in the way.[/quote']

brilliant!! Thanks for that Darcy! I was hoping that could be fixed. I was concerned the sail had blown out. That will be project #2 for this weekend. :)

There's another that sails at Milang on Lake Alexandrina from time to time, they're new sailors and they've only sailed with the club racing once, mostly, they just sail around near where we're racing and we keep an eye on them, given them tips etc. We're sailing at Milang this Sunday 16th Dec sailing from 11am, sausage sizzle for lunch more sailing after lunch and your welcome to come along.

Darcy can you release the bolt rope and add some more on those sails?

Yeah that was at westlakes' date=' I didn;t want to take it out on the ocean the first time I sailed her just to be safe. Westlakes was a really good place to go, theres a ramp about 150m south of the actual rowing club that is bettewr for public use. Only bad things about sailing there is that there were boys everywhere for rowing (I accidently moved about 10 of them when they got caught on my rudders) and stupid aquatics kids on sailboards and stuff, mind you it was awesome fun to race some of the aquatics boats and flog them :)[/quote']

hey where did you park your car and trailer at Westlakes? I think I'll go for a sail there if it's an offshore wind. :-)

conv_792.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

hi guys, i have recently brought a calypso 16 for my eldest son and myself to take advantage of the north queensland coast (we have just moved to mission beach).

i havent sailed for a long time - 20 something years, he has never sailed. the boat has been sitting in a vacant block for some years (owner didnt know exactly how long, however it survived cyclone yasi...2 years ago).

the tramp needs replacing, the eyelets (?) on the sails are oxidised, the mast has taken a pretty big hit almost a metre from the base and has a slight lean.

the hulls have no soft spots, a bit of cracking of the top coat. rubbers on the rudders are cracking and need to be replaced.

outside of that it is a model of hope and male bonding.

she is showing her age, i would guess early 90's but dont have a gauge.:rolleyes:

will post some pics soon.

would love any tips from anyone interested.

i hope to not take too long to restore this beauty to a safe vessel for cruising around some of these awesome tropical islands.:D

Wade, Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on picking up a Calypso 16, they're great boats. I think I might be the only other person on this forum at the moment who sails one. I got mine in a similar way to you - it was donated to my scout group who couldn't use it so i took it off their hands. Mine's an 83 but you wouldn;t guess by looking at it, I only know because it has a sticker on it - they are tough boats!

I have a few pics and videos in the thread "Calypso Pictures and Videos" if you're interested in seeing them rigged, not many photos of the calypso 16s about.

You probably already know, but LR sails stock most of the calypso parts now. If you have any questions regarding rigging or setup at all let me know and i can take more photos or anything to help out.

• 4 months later...

Check out the info on them here http://www.calypsosailcraft.com.au/boatingsails.htm

The Caper Cat is more buoyant with larger storage space. My Calypso 16 still has a lot of storage in it and I could easily do a few nights camping with it. Much faster than a Caper Cat too. Both have reputations of being fairly reliable and strong boats, while not the fastest. Full Fibreglass hulls so they don't go soft like some foam sandwich cats

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, i have recently brought a calypso 16 for my eldest son and myself to take advantage of the north queensland coast (we have just moved to mission beach).

i havent sailed for a long time - 20 something years, he has never sailed. the boat has been sitting in a vacant block for some years

would love any tips from anyone interested.

i hope to not take too long to restore this beauty to a safe vessel for cruising around some of these awesome tropical islands.:D

Wade

You have a PM.

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I actually quite like the 16.... Now that I know it has stowage lockers. I have never seen one up close.

My caper suffers upwind from having spade rudders and no dagger boards. The hulls arent quite as knife like as other small cats

16 might be a bit better from the sounds of it

Archived