Windrush 14 rigging

Tonus

Hi - I am not only a novice Windrush owner but this is the first time I have posted so hoping someone can help.

My Windrush has different mainsheet rigging than the manual. There is nothing to stop the traveler block from smashing into the rail end caps and consequently one has broken off. Also the sail is very hard to pull along the rail with a decent breeze. I have the manual download but the diagrams are blurred. From what I can make out the end of the main sheet should be tied off at the back of the aft crossbeam and then travels through the traveler block where it can be tied off at a cam to limit how far the block can travel. I do not have a cam on my block but have seen a traveler block and cam at boatshop for $130. Should I get this or is there a cheaper option.

Also I do not have the triple pulley running up to a double on the boom (just a single ratchet pulley to a single which makes for heavy work trying to trim and hold sail). Do I need a triple block running to a double? Can I get a triple with some sort of cam so I can tie off the mainsheet? Sorry if I have some of the sailing terminology wrong as I am very much a learner in the yachting world.

G'day Tonus welcome to the forum I cant find a clear enough photo of my windy rigged but my traveller sheet is tied to a saddle on the back of the rear beam, then it goes through the traveller, then it goes through the traveller cleat and is tied onto the end of the mainsheet. On all my boats I tie a knot in the traveller rope so that it cant go out far enough to hit the end caps. If the traveller goes off the end of my Nacra 5.8 it would cost me $100 for new delrin bearings. I wouldn't buy the new blocks yet there are people on the forum with second hand blocks that will do what you want. It would help a lot if you let us know what size windy you have and if you could post some pics of your set up. If you let us know what part of Aus your in you could be pointed to a club that could help you as well .

Thanks madboutcats. Sounds like a good set up but unfortunately I do not have a traveller cleat. I live over the ditch in Hawkes Bay NZ and the Windy is in Taupo. I would be interested in any good contacts in NZ. I will take photos of my current setup when I get back to her in a couple of weeks. She is a 14ft windy.

Thanks madboutcats. Sounds like a good set up but unfortunately I do not have a traveller cleat. I live over the ditch in Hawkes Bay NZ and the Windy is in Taupo. I would be interested in any good contacts in NZ. I will take photos of my current setup when I get back to her in a couple of weeks. She is a 14ft windy.

The traveller options you've seen in the marine shop are not a true cost of what it will endup costing to change to an I track style traveller. If you went down that path, you'd need a new traveller + the track. The track can be $$$ + you'll be weakening the back beam by attaching the track too it.

Best option is to get in contact with Brett at Windrush Yachts. You'll still have issues with it sticking under load but unless its a raceboat i'd say its not an issue.

Michael

Thanks Tornado

Pretty sure current rail is an I track and it is already attached to the aft beam as per the original design. I have not tried the new traveler block I priced for size but it looked the same as mine but had a cleat attached. I wondered if I could buy some sort of stopping device that would fit to the rail at each end that was more substantial than the current plastic stoppers as another option however this would not assist me to pull the traveller under load. I will contact Windrush as you suggest.

The NZ boats had a plain round beam with an I beam Ronstan track on top. The car would have just had 2 sheaves on top and a saddle above, the center cleat was I think the same as we use here in Aus, a casting that sticks out the front face of the tube at about 1/2 height like a tongue and wraps to the under side for fixing and a Ronstan swivel cleat riveted to it. Saddle on the rear of the aft beam in the center to tie of the traveler tail to. There was a traveler car available from Ronstan that had a swiveling cleat mounted to it , not sure if these parts are still available, not in current catalogue, probably use an RC 61912 or 61910

Thanks very much. That sounds exactly right - the traveler casting and cleat must be missing as is the tie off saddle. I will have another look at the new traveller car with cleat attached but if I could find something cheaper it would be good. In the mean time madabouts solution of tying a knot to the traveler car and tying off to aft beam saddle would work.

Next issue is the block on the traveller car which is a single ratchet pulley running up to two singles on the boom. This system makes it hard to hold onto the sail in a moderate to heavy wind. The original calls for a triple block on the traveller car and a double block on the boom. Would this do the job better than my current set up and if so would you know what blocks I should get. Should I get a block with cleats attached so I could tie the main sheet off? There is a second hand triple Ronstan with 60mm sheaves from a Ddavidson 28 for sale for $35 - would that be too large?

Well you learn something new!

Why did NZ get an I beam traveller? A proper traveller would have been awesome on the Aus boats. When it's 25knts and you cant dump traveller it sucks.

As for mainsheet block sizes 60mm would be ok. The common bottom block is either a Ronstan or Harken 57mm triple with cleat and a 40mm triple top block either Ronstan or Harken. I preferred 40mm Harken Carbo triples for bottom and top, but you need to use 6mm rope which after a nationals ends up killing your hands.

Geat thanks - can't answer your query about the traveller - maybe we're special## Would a decent single ratchet block with a cleat work on the bottom? Also I have 10mm (best guess) rope at the moment and don't want to go any less unless I have to.

Tonus, get some photos up of what you have, grab that triple at that price, I should be able to find the rest of your requirements 2nd hand for about a third of new price. The main sheet and traveller should be just 1 length of 6 to 8mm and the knot to limit traveller is a must. Postage should be around $20 aus.

We have a small fleet of 3 Windrushs at our local club in auckland NZ and are looking for more tuning/setup advice so would be keen to see photos etc and info on mast rakes along with anything else to get them going fast

on a side note Were the NZ Windrushs made in NZ under licence or imported as have been trying to find a bulk head boat but with no luck so far. Most sail numbers here are round the 2154 and the latest sail no was 2306 and most have the sail track fitted to the rear beam. Look forward to a ny advice

Archived