back easy alternatives to trapezing?

QB2

You could try one of these???

Custom Trap Harness With Carbon Spreader

by nacraxtreme

To all those looking for the best in class.

NacraXtreme can now offer the Ultimate in Trap Harness. This Nappy style harness is less than 1kg in weight and made of strong durable water shedding cloth with re enforced PVC to the bottom and best of all a light weight CARBON FIBRE spreader bar with Stainless hook.

RRP $480

Contact me on the details below for further details

James Ogilvie

0400 701 878

james@nacraxtreme.com

http://www.nacraxtreme.com

What sort of harness are you currently using?

I always used the Burke basic reinforced ones until a year ago I got a Gill fully adjustable harness. If I am careful to adjust it properly, it is good, but if not, it's a pain - literally. Adjustments on 5 different axes (each side) is great - but you can't just pul it on - you have to tighten each one each time.

Hmmm - the arthritis complicates things a bit. Damn this ageing process! But the tender bits shouldn't be threatened, no matter what.

Do the leg straps have a height adjuster at the front? I find getting all of the furniture in the front room before tightening the leg straps is the key, then the height strap can work without pulling the leg straps up into danger territory.

Originally posted by QB2:

Yes I would like to try a Weta but being the original 'scrooge' when it comes to boats can't see myself buying a newie.

I've never bought a car that cost that much

build one, couple of hundred in marine ply some epoxy and an second hand cat rig and your there.would not be that hard to build a 4.5 m tri!

Back to the trap harness adjustment... ;)

...yeah that strap is same on my Gill. I adjust the legs tight first, then the main hip straps, then the over shoulder strap (tight so I cant stand up straight), then that front leg height strap via spreader so I am really straining to straighten up, then the ribcage side straps last.

By making it that tight it stretches when on the wire to give support all the way up my back. The rib straps are the ones I am uncertain about - if too loose my back sages, if too tight I can't bloody breathe! Got to be just right.

Tightened up the leg straps and made it a lot more squeezy. The hips were tight enough as is but sitting down is going to be a problem with everything cinched in tight. Will have a play on the water and fine tune it further.

Does anyone wear their vest over the harness straps?

Originally posted by QB2:

Have always worn the buoyancy vest under the harness after stuffing the zip when worn on the outside.

And therein may lay your problem, by wearing the buoyancy vest under rather than over trap harness there may not be a smooth load bearing transition from the upper back to the lower back. Zips are cheap in comparison to back injuries.

To strengthen my back that I injured at work, I sat on a inflated exercise ball instead of the couch for about a month. Just the balancing and holding of posture did the trick, you can hook your feet under the couch and lean back if you want to add a sailing theme.

[This message has been edited by madboutcats (edited 26 December 2009).]

Archived