some rigging questions

Shane

Hi ... i have 2 questions about my nacra 5.8.

There is a rope at the centre of the bridle foil .. i assume this ties back to the boat ... where ? and is it necessary..

Also i seem to spend a bit of time holding the boat waiting for crew changes etc .. mean while the jib flaps around like crazy. I have a furler for a hobie 18 ... just wondering if this would be suitable for the nacra. Will it decrease performance?

Thanks

Shane

thanks Darcy.

Was one other thing - I need to replace the grip tape on the side of the boat (for when I am on the trap). I can't seem to find any on or off line. I was thinking about sticking some marine carpet on. Also my local shop said they are getting in some grip paint in. Just wondering if you had any comments.

Thanks again

thinking about rigging up my furler and going for a sail on the weekend.

The boat that it came off was a trimaran with hobie 18 hulls and mast, sails etc - and it had 2 fore stays.

is the furler strong enough to be encorporated into the single fore stay on my nacra?

I shortened the clamps that attach the bridle foil to the front hulls - i think the lengths will work out ok but wondered if a bit of a backward rake on the mast would be ok.

Guess i need to get the mast up and see how it looks :)

Thanks

Shane

cool - i was looking around in bunnings for a while a few weeks ago and couldn't see it - i will look again

thanks

ps

I got mail back from Brisbane Catamaran centre

2 inch tape $7.50 per metre and 4 inch tape $15 per metre

local boat shop was $12 for 40 cm of a 2 inch tape

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Shane on my 5.8 that rope on the bridle is to tighten my jib halyard, on my boat I pull my halyard down the zipper of the jib then that rope goes through the wire eyelet on the halyard and I tension it down, hope that makes sense. If your jib is older it wont matter that you are furling it but bear in mind you dramatically increase the wrinkles thereby reducing the performance of the jib when you roll it also don't roll it too tight at the battens. Personally I think the furler will do more harm to the jib than good

regards Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Cool - thanks Jeff

Last time I was out I thought the jib was going to rip itself to pieces while I was standing, waiting for a crew change - It was pretty windy.

thats interesting about your Jib - the rope on mine was about 3-4 m long, so probably wasn't originally to tie to the jib halyard - I took it off for now.

Take it easy

Shane

Archived