Sailing near a Jetty

Slowpoke

While sailing my paper tiger out on Bramble Bay (Humpybong) yesterday I had an upset fisherman approach me claiming that I ran over and broke his expensive shark fishing line. He was on the end of the jetty and made the claim that boats were not allowed within 200 metres of the jetty to which I have never heard before. I am currently waiting on a reply from the state department on this.

Has anyone every had a similar occurance?

Gary

Gary

I don't know the technicalities of the law about jetties but I think it would be a courtesy to not sail in close proximity to areas where people are fishing. No need to provoke an argument when it's obvious that people are fishing from a jetty. That particular spot is regularly used by people fishing for all sorts of things. I wouldn't be sailing too close anyway as all sorts of bait goes out there including shark bait and they are regularly seen and caught. There's plenty of other water to use in that area where the sharks are a little less prevelant.........

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p02878aa.pdf

This government website has maps of the area but no details on whether or not there is any boat restriction zone around the jetty. There is a marker buoy about 50m off the jetty and I usually stay outside that when on the water. There are large reefs several hundred metres east of the jetty so you want to keep well clear when the tide is on the ebb.

John,

I was aware of the regular fishermen on the jetty and thought I was well clear or their lines but was not expecting this so called shark line that was not very far below the the surface evan at that distance. It must have been out a long way for it to be at that level.

I will be giving it a large berth in future though.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Basically like John said we try and keep a wide berth from the Woody Point Jetty. Wider than you imagine to miss the shark lines.

Personally im not a fan of the guys that fish for sharks, but we have to get on with them. Pretty sure most sharks are protected.

Aido

The fishermen on the Woody Point Jetty are clearly a bit calmer than they once were, while the old jetty was in place it was common practice for boats returning from the racing area to the ramp to cut in close to the end of the jetty (especialy in a N-E)to avoid the need to try and tack in the shallow water once you got in close (nit easy to do on a cat rigged boat with both boards almost all the way up and only one rudder partly in the water). I was in a line of boats coming back to the beach after racing, the first couple must have cleaned up their lines so by the time the second group passed close to the end of the jetty they were ready, the three boats in my group must have been pelted with about 100kg of squid and other bait, the stains this stuff leaves on Dacron sails is unbelivable. Now with the new jetty in place I make sure not to go anywhere near it, you just don't need the hassle even if you are in the right.

Just my thoughts

Corey

If you get a formal letter of demand just pass it on to your insurance company and let them sort it out. Just like if you were in your car and accidentally damaged someone else's property.

All this talk of fishing (or fish killing as I prefer to call it) reminds me of a sport I tried to invent a few years ago.

I proposed a new sport called sheeping. You simply drive out west, pull up at any fence and cast a line over. Bait can be any kind of grass as there's usually not much growing out there and the sheep will bite on anything. When you hook a sheep play it for a few hours then drag it in over the fence and stick it in the back of your ute. You can then brag to your mates about how many you caught, give some to the neighbours and put the rest in the freezer. It would be great sport - sheep really fight hard. I was also thinking about starting a new chain of stores to sell all the gear you would need for this sport. I could call it Boating Camping and Sheeping or BCS for short. Reckon the sheep farmers would love it - they get bugger all for their sheep now anyway.

Cheers

Keen to hear what the bureaucrats have to say.

On a similar vein - I got abused by clubbies at Umina Beach last season for sailing too close to the flagged area. I was about 50m beyond the nearest swimmer, doing about 4kn in a v light breeze. They said I needed to be 300m beyond - but I think that only applies to power boats or vessels doing in excess of 10kn? Any clues?

Originally posted by bad dog:

Keen to hear what the bureaucrats have to say.

On a similar vein - I got abused by clubbies at Umina Beach last season for sailing too close to the flagged area. I was about 50m beyond the nearest swimmer, doing about 4kn in a v light breeze. They said I needed to be 300m beyond - but I think that only applies to power boats or vessels doing in excess of 10kn? Any clues?

As far as I can see, according to Maritime NSW the minimum distance is 60 metres in a power vessel doing in excess of 10 knots. No reference is made to sailing boats.

Here is the reply I recieved:

Gary,

Thank you for you enquiry in reference to a 200 metre exclusion zone

around the Woody point jetty. I do not know what the other gentleman was

referring too. There is a requirement for all vessel not to pass closer

than 30 metres of a jetty or pontoon while processing at greater than six

knots.

Kind regards,

James O'Connor J.P. (QUAL)

Advisor (Marine Infrastructure) | Marine Operations (Brisbane) Maritime Safety Queensland Division | Department of Transport and Main

Roads

I have being abused by fisherman at the Woody Pt jetty as well - was a few weeks back and I am not sure how many metres away we were but it was at least double the distance from the closest line in the water. This was in a NE wind as well where cutting as close as possible was a big help, will try to keep a min distance in future but I felt the tone was unnecessary. At least my hobby doesn't dump oil in the water and kill things for "fun".

Damo

Those fisherman who shark fish off that jetty need rooting.The problem is they float their gear out downwind with ballons,could be 200-300m or more.When the shark or stingray or whatever hits the bait the ballons either pop or float off downwind ,litering the environment. I do a heap of kiteboarding at Brighton,which is dead downwind of Woody point in a NE'er,and most days see these ballons floating downwind.

As for compensation I would laugh at them and say "ring the fisheries or water police and I'll see you in court".

• 1 month later...

Archived