Which Nacra?

Moaiman

Hi Guys ,

I want to down size . I had a 5.2 . I'm gathering info so as to make the right choice, having  been mislead the first time.

I would like a boat that can be sailed solo for fun and on the occasion have a passenger.

My price range is around $4K.

So I thought a  4.5 however there's not much available and the one that is, has a price twice that of similar boats that have sold in the last 2 years .

Is a  14 SQ to small for me being 100kg?

At 56 y.o can I get the mast up solo on a 5.0 . Having no boom or centre boards should make it easy to set up and sail solo. Any advice?

There's a 16SQ if it has a sweeper sail, then it's no good for a passenger.

There's little info on the above older boats. The newer versions of the ones above sometimes are very different to the ones produced 20+ years ago. So any advice would be helpful to me and I'm sure others who are in the same boat?

Thanks

Is the problem the weight of moving the cat around on and off the trailer to the water and back, raising or lowering the mast  or just handling the power?.

There are many youtube videos on ways to raise and lower your mast on and off the trailer solo without hassles using blocks and cleats running to the forestay. .

Most of the cats in your (and my) price range are older, heavier models  and you either adapt ways to transport, rig and sail them or just opt for a lighter boat. The 14 footers like the Maricat, Windrush, prindle, or Paper Tiger will take your weight but not a Hobie 14 . You could also opt for 16 footers like the hobie 16, Cobra or Mosquito.  The nacra 16 is a nice cat and the sweeper main is a feature that requires a bit more thought and dexterity when tacking  a passengers can either follow you around ducking under the main or step around the front of the mast ..

Is the problem the weight of moving the cat around on and off the trailer to the water and back, raising or lowering the mast  or just handling the power?

I know I can handle the power on these boats.  Your info on the 14 sq convinces me that this boat would tick most of the boxes. Which boat is quick and easy to rig  the 14sq or the 5.0.? The 5.0 having no dagger boards and boom looks good. Does the 19sq sail mean it has a large mast and therefore more difficult to get up solo?

If you want quick and easy to rig then don't buy a boat designed to be sailed with a jib. As a previous owner - I can vouch for the 14sq for joy riding, ease of handling and non serious social club racing. Easy to solo rig - face boat downhill (or put beach wheels under sterns) and mast will lay against shrouds while you connect the bridle. The deck-sweeper mainsail is no problem for crew to get around and this boat will easily carry your weight plus more.  At 105kg fully rigged it is the easiest quality production cat with trapeze to handle and rig with no boom, no spreaders and no headsail. If you want to race but don't want to trapeze then a Paper Tiger (lighter again at around 75kg) is a good option. A good fibreglass PT will be harder to find/buy. I wouldn't touch plywood. Boards are always better as the boat will float in less water and go upwind better. The 16sq is a vastly better but more expensive option to buy for racing due to better performance and sheer numbers. Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate this is the Nacra forum, however the obvious choice for single-handed sailing, ease of rigging (definitely EASY to raise mast solo), is a Windrush 14 or Maricat 4.30m. The problem is to find one in reasonabe condition. A reasonable condition 'bulkhead' W14 should still be competitive if sailed well, and if the rig is in good condition, even more so...
I'm 100kgs - and competitive in anything around 13 to 15 knots +...
The Windy in particular is the acknowledged best platform for trapezing - and it's still easy to rig, launch and retrieve - with or without the jib. The jib of course gives something for the crew to do...

If you're 100kgs, then I wouldn't be taking crew out in anything less than 13 to 15knots - as any 14 will 'wallow' with a crew weight in excess of 120 to 130kgs, unless the conditions are windy enough to get the boat moving properly with 2 adults on board.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived