Second cat ideas please

dynomatt

Have you ever thought of a CAPER 18

( note self interest here - I have one)

Big roomy cat - carries all the people you can imagine - 3 adults easily - two adults two kids really easily

relatively forgiving - 

furling head sail

good hull storage etc etc I could go on - 

they are not  - and never will be a  fast racing lightweight cat - robust they are though.

cheers

Ian

I second the calypso 16' or prindle 16' (buoyant and cheap) but you will have to fix/work on it or the nacra 5.0 - could add the nacra 5.2 to the list. Nacra's are the easiest to maintain.  Hobie 16 is a ridiculous suggestion so forget that - you also said you don't race  - nacra 5.8 is awesome boat but too powerful and takes too long to rig/derig for joyriding unless you are a competent sailor/racer and your kids are prepared to help you right it ( you will go over eventually) It is too easy to say they can be depowered on a forum - it is another to go out and keep a 5.8 on its feet in gusty or increasing wind conditions with little or no help from the crew. Taking 5 people out on a beach cat is borderline anyway except in light conditions. The comparatively underpowered calypso is probably the safest and cheapest cat which you can rig and have fun on with no intention of racing. A mate of mine has had one for over 10 years and takes his family of four out on it - plus we double trap it for fun when its just 'the boys' with beer in the hull storage!

On a Nacra 5.8 when learning, adjust your diamond wire tension so that you can just push your diamond wires to touch the mast 18 inches from the bottom attachment so that the bottom of your mast bends into the slot in a gust thereby depowering it, tie your battens in relatively loose with a wrinkle, if you get caught in a bigger than expected gust you pull the boards up , pull maximum downhaul on this will flatten your sail as the sail will tighten along the loose battens which should take the curve out of the sail, the boat will be very well behaved as the extra weight of the boat will keep you upright, if you are in trouble down wind pull your jib on as hard as you can to choke your main sail. I take 4 kids out with me on my Nacra 5.8 with the discover sailing program and the boat handles it. The main advantage a heavy boat has over a light boat is the heavy boat carries extra weight with out over loading the boat and gives you more time to react. The Nacra 5.8 still points okay for cruising with the boards up, the rudders are cleated with a rope pull up, so if in trouble pull your boards up release the cleat all the way on the off side rudder, release the cleat on the rudder next to where you are sitting but hold the rope so the rudder stays down sail straight up the beach releasing your rudder when it hits bottom and when the boat stops hop off and pack up. I've done it a few times

Being most of the way through restoring a Calypso 16 "garden cat", I can say that all the problems that arose were overcome without hair loss and parts seem to be easy to find. Good support from Russ and Luke at LR Sails. Recommend trying it. You can always resell it and move on if it doesn't suit your needs.

Doug

I have sailed all the above boats and all are good for cruising. Currently I have a Nacra 350 that is small but I take it out with my tow kids and it has no issues at all even in a blow. Looks modern and goes well for a little boat. Feels like a bigger boat. I personally (don't hold this against me) like the Hobie Getaway. I have sailed on often and like the size, the wings for comfort and the space for the kids to get around on it. OK. It is not a speed demon in anyway, but it files a hull easily, I couldn't nosedive it nor capsize it in a blow. It is heavy to handle on the beach which is a cross against it, but it you have easy access and a hand getting it around then I think they are great for social sailing.

H18 or nacra 5.8…. not a cruising boat in anyway at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be replying to late to this post but I had the very same issue.

I bid on a getaway on ebay and just missed it - thought it would be great for the kids.

I got a nacra 5.8 and I love it but it is not a great boat for the kids - I have some great times out with my friend however.

Solution would be one of each - getaways are so expensive

I worry about the kids being thrown off the boat or getting tangled in the ropes when a big gust comes through on the Nacra - no time to be watching the kids :)

If you want to make your Nacra 5.8 more cruise orientated try an old A class sail, basically the same length mast, sails a bit smaller and if you get a square top one for a couple of hundred the boat would look more modern. Same with the jib try a Taipan 4.9 or Stingray jib instead of the big jib

I appreciate all the responses and apologies for not responding sooner.

I confess, with all the comments above I've expanded my search options, but no closer to finding anything.

And I saw that Getaway on Ebay...it looked like it'd been sitting in the water for a while and not covered...leaving me to think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I will keep looking though.

Matt

• 2 months later...

The search is over. A nice Nacra 5.8 is in the driveway now thanks to Allan from Amps Marine in Beresfield. It's an oldie but should be a good next step. And to ease concerns, I won't be taking it out in anything to lairy until I've learned to handle it.

Rigging is a bit more complex than my old one so will have a few driveway setups to come.

Anybody got any factory documentation from the early days please? Like an instruction manual or such?

Thanks again for all of your tips.

Matt

Congratulations nothing wrong with an old Nacra 5.8 there is a 700 series that wins or comes second at recent nationals. What sail number have you got? Has it got a bowfoil? The Nacra nationals are at Wangi Wangi this year would be a good opportunity to meet a lot of people that will help you set up the boat perfect for you.

Goose's tuning manual is gold

http://www.goosemarine.com.au/_content/documents/general/nacra%20tuning%20guide%202007.pdf

Here's a scanned copy of the original tuning guide for a non bow foil 5.8

http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=87861

Your mast rotation is different, it's only used to lock the mast rotation in place level with the main beam down wind, if your not racing or serious you won't need to use it

Sail number 828. Sorry not sure what a bow foil is?

The goose marine guide is great but I hadn't seen that other one thanks. I agree, I think I'll leave the mast to rotate freely.

I'm not sure whether there's many 5.8's here in canberra so I'll go along to the club and introduce myself.

The bow foil is a flat aluminium wing that is mounted on the bow to hold your forestay and attach the jib to, that's called the NA version, if your boat looks like the picture in the second link I put up it has no bow foil, if it has no bow foil some of Goose's tuning guide may not work for you as a non bow foil boat has a smaller jib. The smaller jib would be an advantage to you if the wind comes up and is allowed for with a lesser handicap if you want to race. If you think you may want to upgrade to the bow foil there is one on ebay at the moment with the bigger jib at this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nacra-5-8-Catamaran-main-sail-jib-centreboards-dolphin-striker-/131210041585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e8cba58f1

The silver thing on top of the pile is the bow foil

Archived