Lobster Regatta 2011, Lacepede Bay sailing club

madboutcats

G'day here’s some early info on the Lobster Regatta to be held in Kingston SE South Australia by the Lacepede Bay Sailing Club February 5th and 6th 2011. This race is open to catamarans, mono hulls, kite surfers and windsurfers. The last two years race’s have included F18 Infusion, Nacra 5.8’s, A Classes, 5.7 Taipans, 4.9 Taipan’s, Stingray's big and little rigs, Mozzie, Cobra's with spinnakers, Foiling Moth, Arrow's, Arafura Cadet's, Windsurfer's, 14ft Sundance, Weta trimaran and 420's.

Cost for the regatta is $50 a senior boat or $25 for just the Sunday race, junior entry fee is $15 a boat for the regatta. We will provide a great inexpensive tea with generous serves at the club on Saturday night, the canteen will be open for lunches and snacks. The bar will be open with good prices and there is no BYO alcohol.

Sailing will start for junior races at 10.30am Saturday 12th the idea being they pack up around 12.00pm unless they are competent enough to sail the afternoon sea breeze. Seniors will sail one race at 10.30am then come in for lunch and complete two back to back races from 1pm, this is a change from previous years but will ensure we complete all the races.

The three races on Saturday are used to work out handicaps for the 20km run heading north from Cape Jaffa on Sunday morning. This is sailed around 9-10 am to avoid a big sea breeze and the start will be delayed if the wind is not good enough. Subject to weather the juniors and inexperienced set out about half an hour before the seniors in a group and sail together with a dedicated rescue boat, they then compete for their race in front of the club. If the weather is too strong juniors will not be able to compete but will be supervised at the club by non sailing adults. There is only one sandy reef on the course near the beach, it will be marked with a buoy, competitors can travel down next to the beach or choose to go out to sea to cut across the bay. Anybody having gear failure can pull up on the beach anywhere and await pickup, normally there is no surf, big waves or rocks as the course is protected by the Margaret Brock Reef about 10km out. There is bacon and egg sandwiches available at the start on Sunday morning, you can choose to leave your car at Cape Jaffa and get run back after the race, set up really early run your car back to Kingston and get a lift back to the start with someone else going to the start or your ground crew can drive along the beach and watch the race. Competitors are welcome to camp next to our club rooms for the night at no cost and use the club showers, toilets etc. This is not a proper camping ground so we can’t make too much noise late at night.

There is a great caravan park and motels etc for those that want more of the comforts of home, so drink is cheap the food is inexpensive but good and we look forward to having a great time with you. Non sailing families will be easy to keep entertained; the kids can play at the club or the beach which is very safe, no rips or surf waves. There are big tractor tubes; cricket sets etc to keep the kids happy.

More information on facilities

Competitors are welcome to sleep in our clubrooms on the floor on Saturday night if you don’t want to pitch a tent at the clubhouse. Don't plan on getting to sleep early though.

We will mow a section of grass just south of the clubhouse suitable to pitch a tent on, in amongst some bushes that's far enough from the club to get some sleep.

Kingston Caravan Park 87672050 is very neat and has some en-suite cabins

Lacepede Bay Motel 87672444 is on the foreshore near the jetty and is highly recommended.

Lobster Motor Inn 87672322 is near the Big Lobster on the highway and is well maintained.

Crown Inn Hotel 87672005 Clean pub accommodation

Royal Mail Hotel 87672002 Clean pub accommodation

Mobil 190 roadhouse 87672419 has cheap rooms on the highway (has been tidied up)

Ray White Real Estate 87672200 manage bookings for beach house rentals and are easy to deal with.

Our clubhouse is 285km from the tollgate on Glen Osmond Rd it will take about 3 hours drive, straight down the freeway, turn right after Tailem Bend, and straight down to Kingston SE via the Coorong. Once in the town take a photo of the Big Lobster then turn right just after you cross the bridge and you will be in the main street, go to the roundabout turn right, go to the end of the road your now on the foreshore next to the Lacepede Bay Motor Inn. Turn left about 4km down you'll find the clubhouse, the only building on the foreshore. Were 5 1/2 hours drive from Melbourne and you can take a photo of the Big Koala on the way.

I will post updates with our expected weather closer to the sailing date, the 2010 had good wind on the Saturday but wind for the distance race was in light, the 2009 race was a spinnaker run the whole way with some two on the wire moments and some quiet moments but great fun. The 2008 race down from Cape Jaffa was about 22kt plus gusts dead downwind in about 4ft waves which was unbelievable fun. 2006 was about 15kt upwind. Fastest boat to complete it so far was a 4.9 husband and wife team in about 45 mins though a windsurfer once did it before anyone could get back to man the finish line.

This race has been going for many many years and this is the forth year we've publicized it, were a small club but we'll go out of our way to make you welcome.

For more details or to enter you can post a message here or contact Jeff Southall on 0427 660106 or send a message to jeffsouthall@yahoo.com.au

• 5 months later...

Your right Mitch it is the 5th and 6th We had to change the date because the Triathalon booked out the town on 12-13th. Its on this Saturday and Sunday racing starts at 10.30am Saturday in what looks to be about 15-20 knot Southerly then Sundays run from Cape Jaffa is forecast around 14 knot Southerly. So far a stack of Stingrays, 5 x Taipan 5.7's, 3 Taipan x 4.9's, 4 x A Classes have indicated they'll be starting plus F16,F18, Nacra 5.8's, Cobra, Mozzy, Arrows, Arafura Cadet & Weta Trimaran

Plenty of accomodation available and the BBQ's at my place on Friday night for early arrivals. If you leave Melbourne at 5pm you'll be in my driveway at 10.30pm, I'll have some left over barby and beer ready for you. I've got 11 visitors staying at my place so if you don't have somewhere sorted join the party

I'll turn the beer fridge down a bit colder for you. If you get here before 6pm, I'll be at the club house sorting a few things out just give me a call. I'll be putting plenty of pressure in the tractor tubes, we need to get a video of you rolling down the slope inside it again, I can't believe you jumped the other tube while inside yours. Awesome stuff

%%$#^*&*$%^#$%^^&((&**)%^(&^$##@&%^&%#@@%@%$^&*(*()^^$##@!$# and your mother smells of elderberries!!!!

i see that young mark watters has the spray gun out today for the big rig stingray. should be a bit quicker than the green boat he has been sailing. rumour has it that its not actually a stingray, its two old heavyweight sharpies with three steel bore casings as beams!!! at least this one wont need a 12 tonne franna to put it on the trailer!!!!

I think Brians getting a bit testy Mitch, Friday arrivals are welcome to park their cats on the block at the back of my house so they're off the street Friday night, if it's going to be a low tide Sunday morning I'm going to leave my mast up on Saturday night and tow the 5.7 to Cape Jaffa along the beach to the start, so if you've got 4wd join the convoy, if anybody breaks anything at the regatta they can have access to my workshop, theres most stuff there, ssteal welding rods, vinyl ester, cloth, carbon etc just pay for whats used. Marks bigrig won't be ready for the regatta, I'm sure he's in his shed sulking. He'll be on his smallrig but that will give the Hoopers another smallrig to race against.

YEEE HAAAAA, About 17 cats here, 1st race fantastic,18 knots no gusts, 2nd race started in 15 knots probably got to 23 in gusts, I went over in a gybe my own fault. 3rd race cancelled because wind was around 25 knots but we got in two great races. Wind chop about 2ft high, Tomorrows looking around 14 knots. The BOM weather site is hopeless, windfinder and buoy weather were about right. .

We got the stickers just in time thankyou Rob. 5 bigrig Stingrays turned up We had a perfect day today (Sunday) for the downwind run from Cape Jaffa to Kingston SE, with flat water 12 to 18 knot wind range. Mitch Bayliss was the only one to put the kite up. Got hundreds of photos and will post some great shots soon. Congratulations to Evan Steele on his 4.9 Taipan overall handicap winner. Mitch Bayliss on his Stingray got 1st place handicap in the first race Saturday, Neil Ferguson on his 5.7 Taipan 1st place in the gusty second race. In the long race today, it was 3 Stingrays accross the line for 1st,2nd and third. Brett and son Brad Lienert 1st place line honors and handicap, 2nd Mitch Baliss, 3rd Rex and Julie Gibbs. We had 21 cats only max 17 on the water at a time, the 4 junior cats we discouraged from sailing because of the weather forecast.

WOW, what a weekend!! It was a blast on both days, the a different crew for each race made it interesting and an enjoyable challenge. Thanks to the Lacepede gang for yet another great weekend. The conditions looked menesing but once out there you delt with it and it wasn't as bad as you thought.

Food was great and the prizes, well, I had a hard time fitting it in my already over packed car. :)

Thanks guys, see you at the Earthmovers for the Southern Ports regatta Kingston one day and Rivoli the next.

Evan

Heres the write up I sent to the local paper, theres pictures including cats going over at

http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/photo/albums/lobster-regatta-2011

Theres about 5 videos including an onboard camera of an A Class hitting the reef and pitchpoling at

http://beachcatsaustralia.ning.com/

The forecast big winds stopped some of the boats coming to Kingston SE for the Lacepede Bay Sailing Club Lobster Regatta on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th of February. On Saturday due to the weather report the four junior catamarans were discouraged from sailing, Teagan and Shelby Ferguson did a great job in the first race on their 420 dingy before the rudder broke resulting in them retiring. The 17 senior catamarans that came from Adelaide, Melbourne, Murray Bridge, Rivoli Bay, Robe, Kingston SE and Lucindale were amazed at the sight of relatively flat water and good wind.

The first race was held in steady 18 knot wind which suited everyone, Neil Ferguson with daughters Taylor and Kelly on their 5.7 Taipan “Men behaving badly” looked to be in a winning position until they put the nose in on a reach and capsized, leaving Dave Curkpatrick on his A class to claim 1st place and Mitch Bayliss from Melbourne on his bigrig Stingray to claim 1st place on handicap. The second race was held in gusty wind from 15 to 23 knots that tested all the sailors with Dave Curkpatrick again 1st on line honours with “Men behaving badly” 2nd and 1st on handicap then Evan Steele 2nd on handicap. The third race was cancelled due to higher wind and competitors sorted their boats out before doing justice to the great meal and social evening put on by the clubs hardworking women.

Sunday morning at Cape Jaffa for the start of the race to Kingston SE couldn’t have been more perfect; competitors were greeted with light wind during the setup of their cats and dolphins sometimes nearly completely out of the water chasing fish in the shallows. By the time the race started at 10.30am the wind had built to between 12 and 18 knots from the South making the course downwind on flat water. There were five Stingrays competing their State titles including the current national champion Brett Lienert and they made the most of the conditions absolutely bolting out of the blocks leaving the rest of the fleet stunned. At one stage Brett and son Brad on their Stingray had a lead of nearly a kilometre over the rest of the fleet. Mitch Bayliss on his Stingray “Last Tango” was the only boat to fly a spinnaker taking a deeper route further out to sea in the gusts, Jeff Southall with John Cantor on 5.7 Taipan “4WildThings” managed to close the gap to about 50 metres at one stage on Brett with “Men behaving badly” and Stewart with son Alex Ferguson on their 5.7 Taipan “GT” close behind. The Lienerts then went up another gear to take off again, Mitch Bayliss with Cameron on their Stingray and Rex with Julie Gibbs on their Stingray “Chasin a feeling” kept pace to be the first three cats to finish giving Stingrays position 1st, 2nd and 3rd followed by the overall handicap winner for the regatta Evan Steele on his 4.9 Taipan “Serenity” 4th by a nose in front of “4WildThings” 5th. Paul Short on his A class “Sunset Strip” 6th, “Men behaving badly” 7th, Dave Curkpatrick on A class “Windfinder” 8th, “GT” 9th, Brad Mann with Sue Wescarth on Cobra “Scream” 10th, Graham Parker with Darren Woon on Stingray “Popeye” 11th, Darryl Brooksby with Maeve Southall on Taipan 4.9 “Lethal Weapon” 12th, Mark Watters with Liz Southall on Stingray “Unicorn Brewery” 13th, Wayne Hancock with Pete Pollard on the Sailability Weta Trimaran “Porky’s Revenge” 14th, Johnny Beakin on his A class “Zeus” retired after damaging his bow.

Cats that sailed on Saturday but not Sunday were Hugh Bainger with Colin Heywood on Nacra 5.8 “Out a control”, Dave and Andrew Bryson on Hobie 18 “Storky & Co” and Mosquito “Snot Tub”. It was fantastic to have so many catamarans turn up for the regatta. Many thanks to our local sailors who donated $600 of prizes, the rescue boat drivers, rescue tower observers and the SES for again putting their rescue boat through it’s paces keeping an eye on the fleet, without their support we couldn’t keep growing this event.

Sharpie hulls and sulking

Well Brian, let me just say that if it was truly the SA Stingray State titles, the old green Platform (with the two Sharpies strapped together with 3 borecasings) competed as a big rig AAAANNNNNDDDDDD came 2222222NNNNNDDDDDD, did you get that, 2nd in the states. I must have missed the bit where Fantasia showed for the weekend. Maybe you should rename it Fantasy because to get 2nd, you have to be on the water and not in the top of WA. One of only 2 Stingrays to actually finish 2 of the 3 races, Mitch on Last Tango being the only other one to complete 2 races. As for sulking, I don't think I had 249 on my sails. damn sure it was 527, in fact I'm pretty positive that there is pics to prove it. Magnificent weekend all the same.

my humblest apologies again for not turning up at the stingray state titles, i thought you were painting the white boat??? not updating the green boat. what happened there??? and to point out, it was you fearless leader jeff who put the sulking in the shed comment , not me. sorry i was too busy working. and yes i will accept your offer of a carton of horny blonde bet next time we race, and thats on the nose, no handicaps. :)

great to see your boat is going fast mate!!!

Hey Brian - Bullen Merri won't be on! It's back at Boga! I'll be heading to Paynesville on the Gippsland lakes with a few other old boats, the racing is seriously social for us, but we get to do long distance races on the lakes down there! Brett rates himself as 'half a chance' at coming along! I think the Cobras will be hosting their states at Boga

where is everyone going for easter????? milang' date=' bullen merri or barmera??[/quote']

I heard Bullen Merri had a high algae count I'm probably stacking a couple of Arrows on the 5.7 and going to Bullen Merri (Boga) but I'm really concentrating on the Earthmovers distance race at the moment. I know the Rivoli guys are going to the Bullen Merri (now apparently Boga race) with a couple of 4.9's and a cobra. I was looking at some great action photos of the Lobster regatta and couldn't find any of you anywhere:)

Archived