Hobie 16 Wanted

vcsteven

Gee - Not asking much for your $ considering a new trailer is at least $1600 these days.

My recommendation - DON'T DO IT. the trailer will not be worth putting on the road and the boat will fall apart the second it sees more than 15knts - and we will have lost another sailor with bad experiences of catsailing.

I have seen more novices lose interest in sailing by buying a roadside special than any other means - Save your pennies and buy something at least in the $5K+ bracket - You will save money in the long run.

Agree to your both the comments if the boat was to be used and trailed for a season or more.

I'm after an old 16 to sit at a Van in a caravan park to be used for 2 weeks at Christmas and every third weekend during summer. Chance to get the 4 kids into sailing. No need to pull it on a trailer.

It's about spending enough money (for the purpose) to get on the water - I think $1,800 to $2k is possible, considering an old 14 is around $1k?

When you walk around any lake, every 300m there is one sitting not being used - this is the type of boat I was after.

Hope this clarifies the purpose of my post?

PS. sailed for 20y, many boats, H14 as well, even won a NSW state title at one time.

Anyway - if someone knows of an old boat - please let me know? otherwise I'll keep looking in the papers....

Thanks.

I cant agree with you boys on this one. the Bridport sailing club has heaps of hobie 16's. the most expensive one was less than 3k. most were 1.5-2.0k.

A lot of them dont look fantastic because they are older boats, but some newer sails going cheaply and some fiberglass work and they are very seaworthy.

These boats race in bass straight and quite often under reefed rigging.

you dont need an expensive boat to have fun and get wet.

heres a photo of some of them on the water:

DSCF0220.JPG

There was some here abandoned in NSW, Rose Bay park, some with a notice from the council as they are going to be removed if not removed by the owner. As there is no registration on the trailer, they don't have a chance of contacting the owner.

I am not sure about what they are going to do about them. May be worth giving them a call and ask them about it ? Their number I believe is 02 9362 0555

I called them yesterday for some other questions I had regarding parking overthere.

Never met anyone who bought a sub 2K 12 foot cat and did not spend heaps on fixing it up.

I know that there are many Maricats that are bought for next to nothing and seem to have a good time but I still think they are dangerous.

I for one have had to help many families rescue bits of thier boat after a mast has come down on their "BARGAIN CAT" due to the fact that it was not looked after before they bought it. Fine for a lake but NOT for open sea.

Buying a boat is a big thing for many people and it is great that there are forums like this one that help future boat owners.

I bought a Maricat for $900.00 and it was great, but not to race. I had a Tri-Fly that cost $300.00 off ebay and it is still fun to belt around the bay.

But when you want something with real performance and size, you do need to make sure you get something that is strong as well.

There is no fun flying around the harbour on an old H16 and the front beam give away. I have done this. My mate had an old 5.8. One of the hulls decided to let go at the fron beam on Lake Maquarie.

There are some bargains out there, but you have to be careful.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

This is my first post here. Just to let you know that Nacra 5.2 did sell, he accepted my offer on the Thursday and I picked it up on the Friday but he didn't remove the listing which ended on the Sunday, very odd. It's a nice boat all vgood cond. with practically brand new sails. I'm happy with it.

Good luck finding a boat.

Originally posted by Emmessee:

There was a Nacra 5.2 on Ebay last week for about 2k with a registered trailer.

It did not sell so may get relisted.

Worth a look.

This is my first post here. Just to let you know that Nacra 5.2 did sell, he accepted my offer on the Thursday and I picked it up on the Friday but he didn't remove the listing which ended on the Sunday, very odd. It's a nice boat all vgood cond. with practically brand new sails. I'm happy with it.

Good luck finding a boat.

Originally posted by Emmessee:

There was a Nacra 5.2 on Ebay last week for about 2k with a registered trailer.

It did not sell so may get relisted.

Worth a look.

• 2 months later...

esteven,

Spend what you want if you get the price you want. I broke a Maricat in half about a month ago (owner REV YUKKA II) and all I did was pull the main on a tad (hulk hogan style). The front beam snapped clean, the rear beam buckled and one of the rear rudder casing snapped just for shits and giggles. I was sitting in 2ft of water and still on top of the boat!

The point is that I'm sure REV paid about $500 for it and got 2+ seasons (winning 1 of them) and a great time sailing. Pay bottom dollar if you're going to sail a couple of weeks a year and enjoy whatever boat you get. If you want to race, listen to the blokes above and fork out the cash.

[This message has been edited by NacraPhelia628 (edited 09 January 2007).]

Archived