tips for buying hobie

FireKat

I am undertaking a 'sailing camp' to learn how to sail (am very excited about this)on the sunshine coast - in a hobie 16. Obviously i will be looking to purchase a hobie of my own to continue the fun. I thought i would look for one worth about $1000 to start with (until i find my sea legs and build up some experience). After that i will upgrade. My question is: what things should i look out for when buying a cheap 2nd/3rd/ or 4th hand hobie? what are some of the traps for young players? would appreciate input from you seasoned sailors.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic comes up from time to time on this forum. I'm not going to give you any advice myself, just suggest that you browse the other forum categories. The most common comment is buyer beware when getting an old boat - it may cost you more than you think in repairs. Visit a club in your area and talk to other cat owners too.

I would sugest that you start with a 14, any of the production 14s would do (Hobie Mari or Windrush) as you will be able to sail without crew, recover easier from a capsize, and get a better boat for your money. They are also much easier to rig, launch and retrieve. Get back online when you have something to look at and you can find what to look for in a particular type, (they all have different problems.to beware off.)

• 1 month later...

Hi FireKat,

I'd also suggest that you consider a 14 footer to start off on, particularly if you intend sailing solo at all?

As for what 14 footer to go for? Well, I'm biased towards the Maricats because I've had two of them, and know that they are very forgiving, and can still be sailed fairly fast.

Only sailed the one hobie 14 once at Lake Cootharaba and wasn't impressed with the hull bouyancy of the hobie.

I've never sailed a Windrush, but have heard good reports about them.

Cheers

Barry

• 3 months later...

Hey mate

I know this is quite old now but if your still looking around at boats the best advice i can give you on a hobie is don't buy one! i own 2 H14's a turbo and a standard rig but both have never been as good as i would have liked! the turbo has way to much sail for the pethetic amount of hull boyoncy and both boats are hard/ Impossible to write with just one person. My advice would be to get a maricat! great boats or if you are keen to spend a little more get a nacra 5.2 a little bigger much more hull and easier to sail by a long shot!

seb

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

SEB - Never had a problem getting my H14 back up & in the 3 yrs Ive been back sailing ive gone over in every direction...but then again I do have weight on my side.

Village Idiot - only good if your 60KG!!!!! damn i better cut off both my legs then, Ive never had a problem with my H14 even when i was sailing at 120kg never had any bouyancy problems, was & still is a great little boat to sail. Definately upsets the Mari's & Windies when i'm pointing way higher than they ever can - cat rigged.

Archived