5.2 Nacra

Bridgehugger

Hi bridgehugger,

I used to have a 5.2 and it was a great boat. If your looking for a 16sq I know where there is a really good one for sale that I considered buying.

It's located in Darwin, but the owner is motivated to sell, and will help out with the cost of transport.

If your interested let me know your email address and I'll forward you all the photo's and contact details I have here.

Cheers

Barry

Hi bridgehugger,

I used to have a 5.2 and it was a great boat. If your looking for a 16sq I know where there is a really good one for sale that I considered buying.

It's located in Darwin, but the owner is motivated to sell, and will help out with the cost of transport.

If your interested let me know your email address and I'll forward you all the photo's and contact details I have here.

Cheers

Barry

Hi Leon,

Rob called me yesterday and I gave him the details of the 16sq in Darwin. I forgot to mention about yours. Send Rob a few pics and see what unfolds?

BTW, I brought myself a Taipan 4.9 last weekend (051). I hope to find time over the weekend to do a trial rig up in the back yard to see how it all goes together. I'll then make a trip out to BCC next week to pick up any bit's I find need replacing.

Hopefully the following weekend I'll get it on the water.

Cheers

Barry

Just to answer the original question, the Nacra 5.2 is a wonderful machine.

A well sailed 5.2 will keep up with boats much bigger than it. They will outsail any 16 and 18 foot catamaran (except a Taipan) and they are apleasure to sail.

The 5.8 really stole all the 5.2 sailors during the late 80's and most of the boats went to more social sailors.

I doubt there will be much of a comeback as there are no more being made but all spare parts are available.

If I was not going to race seriously and wanted a fast boat, I would not hesitate to get a 5.2.

You never know, there are plenty of them out there so there could be a revival.

HEY THE 5.8'S HAVE HAD A BIG COMBACK OVER THE LAST 3-5 YEARS. and with the nacra super series running it can very much accomidate for all nacra classes. i think that we will have a couple of 5.2's running around this season and as we know it only takes two boats to have a race. then next thing you see is a fleet of 18-20. that's how the 5.8's came back and last year where the biggest fleet at the nationals. my only advise to you is. if you are sailing one up go for a 16sq, or if you are thinking of sailing with crew go with any of the two man nacra's. THERE ALL GOOD.

CHEERS REV

Hey Dood.......

Pipe down chorus boy.

Everyone said the 5.8 was dead and buried and it is now probably the strogest fleet of big catamarans behind the F18's.

Maricats were gone. Hardly sailed let alone raced. Now Brisbane Cat Centre is building new foam boats and the numbers are back racing.

The Windies the same.

• 6 months later...

I have a 5.2 and have a ball racing against the hobie 16s and 16 squares, to go quicker I need to lose seight as the newer boats have a 60-80 Kg advantage but all the better when I come in in front of one (occasionally)

the 5.2 is a early one. but lots of fun and a breese to sail

Archived