Best weight carrying single-hander

Jethrow

Hi Guys

I'm after views on what would be a good single hander for a 100Kg bloke. I'm currently looking at the Paper Tiger or Mosquito but not exclusively. A trapeze would be nice but is not a deal killer and the budget would be under $5K. Neither of these classes has a local fleet so it would be mixed class racing. The only single-handed multi with a local fleet is the A cat, can these carry weight? I don't want a strict one design as I'm a tinkerer and performance is pretty important. Light weight would be a plus as my local ramp can be quite long and muddy at low tide. Thanks in advance

Jethrow

I was 120kgs and sailed an A-class and it was awesome in anything over 12 knots.

I now have a Nacra 4.5 and sail that one up and find it very rewarding. One up I am trapezing and pushing it very hard and can keep up with the Hobie 16's on the harbour and I can also take my little blokes out for a sail and still rip along.

I am also now closer to 100kgs but not quite. I was 104 when I left school and that was at my fittest with a six pack and swimming forever, so for someone to say lose 20kgs, that is not easy for some people who are 6'2" and don't ever need a can of Man Up!. Maybe for Mr Puniverse it is easy to say.

Also, when the wind hits 20 knots, I am not on the beach running to the committee yelling that it is boat breaking conditions. I can't wait for the start gun.

There are plenty of boats out there for the bigger bloke and not all big boats. In the light stuff you will struggle on any boat, but over 12 knots you will be equal and over 15 you start to get an advantage.

Once any class is flying a hull, you will come into your own.

Stay away from a P/T with your weight, Windrush are the most bouyant of the 4.3m boats and fast in sloop/trapeze, comfortably carry 100kg (bulkhead or foam boats only), I sail cat rig Mari at 95-7 kg at the front of the fleet in 15 kts up, but in that breeze the super sloops (Mari/Windy)will finish a leg ahead, come and talk/look/sail different class/size boats any saturday at Mannering Park (1hr nth on expressway). Darcy, 43591729.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived