Windies at Batemans Bay 9-10 April

sando

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Darcy,

well, it looks like Michael is a non-starter... BUT if I make an effort to come up to Toukley again, and drag Antony up too, will some of you guys make an effort to make it to Kurnell on the 17th?

If we get a few boats from Toukley, a few from Port Kembla, and myself and Antony - maybe Warren can make it too - then it'd be a nice event for everyone... right?

BTW, the Le Mans start at Bayview sounds like FUNN...!!! So, are you listening Mike? I'll make a serious attempt to do that one... so the W14 class has more than 2 boats there...

:)

there were a couple of Windies at the Batemans Bay Regatta. I tried to help one with her ancient old relic, which had bizarre forwards raked mast. Previous owner had provided some obviously misguided rigging instructions. We got it to a slightly more normal position, and she successfully completed all 4 races; a good effort considering the boat. It would have been great if an experienced Windy sailor had been there to provide appropriate advice.

It was a great weekend of racing, with all kinds of Maricats, 2 paper tigers, 2 Windies, and a Nacra 14sq making up the division, and an Alpha-Omega F14 racing the big cats.

Highly varied wind; ranging 0 to 20knots, small tide effects and the chaos of boat wash, wind chop and easterly ocean swells rolling through. Fun, challenging sailing! Hope to see you there next year.

Tony (PT2901 Tigerdelic)

Is it just me' date=' or does it appear that Michael thinks he's still on a Windrush 14? Thing is, the next shot shows him falling backwards into the drink - coz he forgot there's no hiking straps in front of the mast... :p[/quote']

There is hiking straps up there... you have the option of 3!

1) the spinnaker tack line

2) the code zero & code 5 tack line

3) the middle support of the pulpit (you have the option of either port or starboard supports)

you should see when I hike off the bow sprit, now thats fun! except when you blow a spinnaker tack from out there and the sprit wipes up, then its like riding a bull...

haha Michael, talking about doing things differently... all I hear are more lame justifications for 'borrowed' hiking techniques...

:p

BTW – I was at Toukley yesterday - after a harrowing 40 minute delay trying to get out of the Eastern Suburbs - Special Event apparently - MINE GOTT - talk about frustration... !!!

Anyway, got there real late - and everyone 'pitched in and helped me get on the water in time - thanks guys - BUT it appears that Josh Holman has a 'sneaky' way of making sure he stays in front of the pack – he offers to help you step your mast, and steps it so that it's unable to rotate – placing it between the pivoting 'swivel' and the downhaul attachment point...

Made it back to shore after looking repeatedly up at the hounds to make sure the stays were on right - nothing twisted - THEN I looked down... another MINE GOTT!!!

Talk about sailing CAREFULLY back to shore...

So beware this method of mast-stepping 'help' from other sailors... lends new meaning to the phrase, "sit on that and rotate?"

That sucks but it always pays to check over your boat before you get on the water. I've seen past state/national champion Alan Miller sail across Lake Wallis at Forster without bungs...

I've also seen a windrush end up on the wrong side of Lake Wallis after someone parked it on the exposed sand on the shoreline not realising that the sand there is only exposed at low tide! Needless to say it 'drift' over night...

Lame justifications for 'borrowed' hiking techniques... I'd say we have 1 even better than those 3. Try 400L of water ballast that can be pumped in and out of the boat as we please. Its the equivalent of parking 4-5 guys on the rail.

U R right - as always – about checking things b4 heading out - I always do... especially bungs... I just can't believe I didn't notice the non-rotating stick...

Water Ballast? Isn't that the techniques submarines use to submerge? It'd be pretty funny if there was too much water allowed in...

Is that a periscope I see? No, that's a mast-top...

2 windies I only counted one racing unless you count the one those kids were mucking about on,(without life jackets) that sank, then had to get dragged in by the rescue boat, then started its death throws in the shallow water. So yes talk about embarassing for windrush.

thought I saw a sloop rigged Windy out there sunday morning at Batemans Bay, maybe I got it wrong. They were well represented as cheap, durable boats for beginners. While the Papers Tigers and foam-hull Maricats had quite short races, the Windy got about twice as much value out her entry fee!

Where most of the 14' cat guys from my club thought they weren't good enough sailors to enter a regatta, it was great to old boats and less experienced sailors out there having a go too.

Wondering how being a crew on a big yacht compares with 14' cat racing? Isn't it like being passenger on a bus, compared to riding a motorbike?

It is indeed very different. But thrilling in its own right.

Imagine the middle of the night with no moon, its blowing 30-35knts and you have a full main (it should have 2reefs by then) and the 3A heavy hounds asso up. Your in a 2-3m swell, surfing on the edge peaking at 22knts with the bow a good .5-1m in the air. You have no idea where the next wave is because you cant see beyond the nav lights on the bow. A wipeout every now and then, walls of water flying down the deck as you punch through a wave and then you can see why I enjoy yacht racing.

I also do bow which is probably the most exhilarating position on the boat. Not to mention the most dangerous.

Its also challenging from a stamina and problem solving perspective as well. Take for instance the problem we had on approach to newcastle.

We'd blownup the port kite sheet (the outter casing gave up the ghost) but still had to make big miles on starboard... We grabbed a spare line, gybed, cut the broken sheet and tied the new one in and gybed back. All well and good while running with a kite but when we changed to the Code Zero in stockton bight we couldnt trim properly because the knot was at the turning block. So on goes the thinking cap and we grabbed the outboard heady sheet tied it into the clew of the code 0 while it was still flying, rerouted the sheet to allow the code to fly and took up the slack. We eased the kite sheet and clipped it in to the clew of the code 0 and then eased the outboard sheet until we had load on the kite sheet again. Problem solved and we were back to doing 9knts in 8knts of breeze.

We came up with that fix at 3am sunday morning and we'd had about 6-8hrs sleep in the previous 44hrs of the race (we'd all been on deck constantly for the last 15hrs too, normally your only on deck for 4hrs at a time).

And the best bit, we had packed up the boat 5am and were sitting in the bar drinking beer and rum.

Yachts and cats should never really be compared - they require different and special techniques - but surely experience on one or the other could only benefit your overall knowledge of sailing...

Personally, I don't like exerting more effort for going more slowly - and yes I've sailed a Laser and even a VJ when I first got into sailing – not very well of course – but dinghy and yacht sailing is more tactical, while cats are more strategic and rely on boat speed...

I think the best book I ever read was Phil Berman's book - based around Hobies... and that book clearly demonstrates that there is as much to successful cat sailing as monohulls - just a different mind-set is reqired...

Anyway, about Bateman's Bay - it's a pity Windrush wasn't better represented - and more of a pity that those closer to the venue couldn't make it down there... I was definitely on the verge of going, but lack of enthusiasm from everyone else made it a long, lonely proposition...

We should make it part of the Windrush Travellers Circuit next season...

The only way Windrush will be seen in the best light is to get more boats to popular events more regularly... but that actually requires some sacrifice and some 'class spirit'...

Class pride and sacrifice

PP

Class pride and sacrifice? How long have you owned a windy? January this year if memory serves me right.

I'm battling to see the funny side about your comments with regard to the fella that helped you stand your mast.

Hope they where meant to be humorous because it doesn't seem that was your intentions. In future leave peoples full names off your posts as the internet is a small place

Instead of moaning about numbers it may be better to promote the fun aspect of away regattas through reports from regattas you have actually been to.

Bucketman

Hey Bucketman,

I don't know you... and you obviously don't know me... I've owned W14's for over 25 years...

I've even sold the boats enthusiastically when they first came on the scene - met the designers etc – and so I think I do know just a little about the history and strengths of the class...

The comments about the unique mast-stepping process were meant to be humorous... and I've only had a great friendship with the guy who 'helped' since I met him - in fact we're helping each other to promote the class - I'm sure he wouldn't take offense at a friendly ribbing...

Lighten up pleez - life's too short... :)

As far as going to away regattas is concerned, it does seem that since I've been involved again after many years, there's a reluctance for sailors to step outside their local club... so that is really as 'strong' as the comments were... and I do truly believe that if the class is to regain any of its former glory, that needs to happen more... and from the few Ive spoken to they seem to agree... Anyway... sometimes a little 'shake-up' does a class good...

Absolutely NO finger-pointing going on here - just general observations... OK?

Hey Mike,

the cursive font that Windrush Yachts uses advertises the motorsports composites, yachts etc...

There is nothing that shows what the boat actually is - a Windrush 14.

The sticker that Windrush Yachts uses is the same masthead they use on their website - but it isn't specific to the Windrush 14...

Don't worry, I'll run it by Brett to see if he wants to use it on new boats - but seeing as so few are now produced, it will probably be down to me to produce them for guys who want to update their boats to something more 'in tune'...

all that needs to be done to the current Windrush logo is put a '14' at the end of it.

I don't see the point in changing the boat branding from that of the factory's branding. After all, any new boats would come with the current sticker Brett has as per the ones on my boat would they not?

Anyway its not my money, just my thoughts.

Well, thatz Y I posted the new sticker designs for comment - this is after all a forum for new ideas and approaches...

I don't see Brett investing in any new sticker design for the Windrush 14 - and strong branding is important - right?

So, if I spend my time to do it, I'm happy to help 'mark' the boats as what they are – a Windrush 14 – instead of the generic 'Windrush Yachts' branding that is now used...

Who knows? It might actually catch on...

Do u actually like any of the designs - how about comments from others?

Hi PP, I don't mind option 3 but without the frame. I like the generic Windrush logo and would be happy to just have the 14 added to it. As M said, that will be the logo on new boats out of the factory.

My apologies for last Sunday at KCC. Dad turned 70 on Sunday and I had some visitors I wasn't expecting. The guys at Port Kembla are all getting on abit now and as you know we are looking to build our club fleet to first - with state and nats to follow in due course.

M, you will be pleased to know that Paul L has bought 'Silver Fox' from Digger and will be back in the W14 fold full on next season.

Archived