Boring winter

tonyquoll

The shocking, awful news is that the season ends in a few weeks. Horror! Possibly there'll be the Toukley Brass Monkey Regatta (8hrs north), or the Hazelwood Sauna Sail (6hrs S/SW) to break up the long cold boringness of winter.

During cold boring months, maybe some mountain bike riding will get the fitness up, and the nights will be dedicated to finally finish reading all 800 pages of Frank Bethwaites masterful "high performance sailing" books.

Saturday afternoons might be spent turning the rusty trailer into shiny new paint, or investing the time and money into these dream carbon-fibre centreboards.

Last winter those idyllic plans were filed in the too-hard basket, favouring instead the Fat Yak Weight Gain Plan. A cunning plan is was too. Deciding that 55kg was not enough to keep me powering upwind in a stiff breeze, the target was to gain 10kg. The method was to drink lots of Fat Yak beer! A moderate success; peaked at 63kg but became lazy and unfit, then dropped back to 60kg after getting sailing fitness back. Recent advice suggests something even more radical; muscle building exercise and proper diet!

What will you be doing this winter?

Don't have to stop sailing, my schedule is Earthmovers distance race and Rivoli Bay race this weekend, 2 days at Milang Easter, Victor Harbour Rum Race early May, Sauna Sail June, Lake Eyre Yacht club regatta at Lake Kiallaperpunna July, then probably look at the Adelaide Sailing Club winter series and hot up series before our next season.

Winter

Just realized its 20 years since the last maintenance. So this winter its a new gal trailer (no more rust) - new trampoline - new paint job - new set of sails - finish the carbon job on timber centerboard - all in time for Wivenhoe winter marathon

At Manno this Saturday is the last day of the season.

Here: http://www.draycotewater.co.uk/index.html smack in the middle of cold wet England was where I spent (or misspent) my yoof just doing enough schoolwork to get me out of trouble.

Look at the webpage - 364 days a year! I don't rememember any weekends that sailing wasn't done and their Brass Monkey certainly was, it was held on Boxing Day!

And here we are in Sunny Australia and we just have six months sailing. Just amazing. Nowadays I've put on a few years and might not go sailing when it's cold or wet but the opportunity should be there.

I agree with Knobblyoldjimbo...I am relatively new to sailing and do wonder why we can't sail over winter?? Being on the south coast of NSW I have been looking for sites on google maps to contemplate a few trips to. Thinking of Lake Jindabyne, Coila Lake...any other suggestions or reasons these wouldn't be a good idea over winter appreciated.

As far as I know there will be a winter series at Wangi again, nothing too serious, no point score systems, just a few races, then some drinks at the arry next door. Last year it was a bottle of wine for the winner each day. I'm planning on attending as many days as I can.

Then theres Lake Keepit, and as already mentioned Toukley

Jindabyne in winter could be a tad too cool for most people. Most of the coastal waters, while still cool should with decent wet suits and booties be ok. One thing to be aware of is that if it isn't a sanctioned sailing event by a club you will need to be responsible for your own safety on the water. How do I know? ..... treading water for five hours hanging on to a waterlogged turtled cat whilst slowy drifting to New Zealand.

K9; add Mallacoota's bottom lake, Wallagoot Lake and Twofold Bay to list of great places to sail near far-south coast NSW.

Aside from the cold and lack of organised events, the biggest problem with winter sailing here is lack of wind.

221618_10150267172649867_817209866_9323792_5174505_n.jpg

The boats on Karbeethong foreshore (Mallacoota) on a typical winters day

• 1 month later...

Hey KOJ, I'll be up to Lake Mac for the QBB on the 10th to the 13th, sailing out of Wangi on Sunday for a race, will the Careel be making an appearance? I'll be in Pittwater/Cowan Creek for the week preceding. Winter is great, no bloody ski/wake boats. I've managed to condense a winter maintenance period into 4 days, amazing how many little jobs stack up, when I get back it's Hydra 1112's turn, then 980's. I've gotta squeeze in 2 Mari's and a H14 in there somewhere, some damn fool had his hand put up to be Boat Captain, at least I'm not Dr. Commodore! :-)

Archived