Windrush 14 Hull Stickers

Prince Planet

BTW guys, this is the sticker I designed & had produced for my new boat... cheaper than signwriting...

Seems 2b holding up so far... if any1 likes it, and would like something similar done for their boat, just give me the name or idea for the graphic – happy to quote for it... :)

Rohan

Second thing is' date=' I can't force Brett to add a '14' to the end of the current cursive lettering - that would entail a new logo being produced.[/quote']

I didnt suggest forcing Brett to do anything but surely as an agent of Windrush Yachts you can use the current Windrush logo? Adding a '14' to the end would be alot better than changing the whole logo. If you want, you can add the supersloop part too. BUT it needs to be in the same style and font as the factory logo.

Lets take ANZ as an example as they just spent millions redoing their corporate branding. the 'ANZ' logo is the same on ANZ stadium as it is on every ANZ branch in the country, its the same logo on their stationary & its the same logo on their clothing. They do this so people can easily identify that it is infact the same company called ANZ.

If I saw 2 products next to each other that were identical but had different branding I'd go with the one I was familiar with. In this case, if some one goes on the Windrush Yachts website they clearly see the logo of the factory. They then see a boat with a different logo and would question if it is the same. Albeit in few cases but every bit of confusion means less people willing to purchase.

Also the comment about borders being necessary on dark hulls? There are next to no dark hulls around anymore unless its a very old Mk1 boat. The darkest boat that is still active in NSW would probably be mine? Everyone else's is white (Anotony's is now white). Also most of the boats with coloured hulls had white decks, so you could always put the sticker on the deck.

The Stingray and Cobra guys than got Robert to do stickers used the sail logo and font to do them rather than use an entirely different style & font. Thats what should happen in my opinion.

had a look at matching the font used on the Windrush logo (such as superimposed on photo above). Tricky one; the R not joining in the middle is like Avant Garde or Lithos, except it is has serifs like Book Antiqua or Palatino Linotype, and not like them as it is a slab-serif (no thin bits).

Agree with TornadoSp that it would be good to match branding, and more importantly its a more exciting font than Arial.

Since it's only 8 letters and 2 numbers; might as well just scan in an original art you have and add the 14?

Hey guys,

the company branding has little to do with the branding of individual products - the Windrush logo with the big 'W' and the neat graphic incorporated is very nice - and strong.

The cursive lettering is at complete odds with it. They definitely don't match. It's like the 2 styles are from different entities...

That's why I designed something more contemporary - and cleaner... and that brands the boat properly.

To give you an example, the 'Edge' F18 graphic has zero resemblance to the Windrush Yachts masthead - right?

Mike, as a graphic designer I'm very aware of consistent corporate branding - but I don't see any consistency on what's on the boat at the moment - the deck graphic fights with the hull graphic.. but it's not uncommon for small companies to not understand consistency of style and message - unfortunately Windrush Yachts is also guilty of this...

But hey, I'll speak to Brett about this and hopefully get his blessing...

:)

In the meantime, I'll keep posting variations - so we have a good variation from which to choose...

OK, guys,

This thread was gonna be about W14' stickers/branding - but methinks it will turn into a photo gallery... so we should start one of those on another thread...

Attached are the latest iterations of the hull logos...

OK, so now I C the REAL agenda Michael, u want2 design it yourself, huh?

Problem is, it's still weak - its not dynamic - it's static.. and trust me the W14 logo doesn't need to use the same font as their masthead...

Rohan,

Accusing me of ulterior motives is unbecoming of you.

You asked for opinions, 3 people suggested that using the factory logo was a smart idea but you didnt seem to want to listen so I did some leg work myself.

But you are the NSW Dealer and putting the money in so do what you will. I'm just a sailor with an opinion.

post-10793-13778265455735_thumb.jpg

And a VERY valuable opinion... I do see where corporate branding is important - I'm a graphic designer after all...

Marketing and design is what I do... however when I see weakness in a logo, and inconsistency of style, then I'll always do my best to correct it...

Brett is certainly too preoccupied with the Edge to really care too much about the stern stickers of the W14 - that's for sure - so pleez, don't be too precious about things - it's good to get different ideas... and I will certainly run my ideas by him... so don't sweat it...

See - smiley face?

Can we all be friends again?

PS

I am putting some of my own money and time into getting the class more visible - and it's not so I can get sales - that was never the objective - but of course it would be nice to sell 1 or 2 boats... I do have a genuine affection for the class and the great design of the W14 - so I want to see great design all over the boat... :)

Wow, that what-the-font tip was brilliant, I used whatthefont at:

http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

It identified the font used here:

wlogo.gif

As “Elan-Black Italic”, which I downloaded from:

http://www.windowfonts.com/font-download/elan-black-italic.zip

for a comparison, it could look like this:

217558_10150272202274867_817209866_9380195_1803226_n.jpg

isn’t graphic design a great job? Every smartarse and his dog thinks they can do it...

Bio-statistical analysis on the other hand, need a what-the-stat website! And back to work.

Hey that's cool Tony... and I C you used my design cues... and nice detective work...

Only problem I C is the fade – that would be difficult to produce without a white ground behind the whole graphic. Without the fade, all elements can be 'cut-out' and printed as is... but correct me if I'm wrong...

Rohan

Hey guys,

Sometimes it is alot easier to make a different logo than get the original,

When i made the cobra ones i didn't have the exact cobra style of wording and all previous cobracat.com stickers were in a simple font so i went for a different font to try and make them stand out.

As for the stingray ones, Someone else already had made stingray 5.5 I simply found that font and made more of them,

You need to remember that the machine that makes the stickers need cut lines,

JPG and BMP dont have cut lines they are just pixel pictures, you need files like PDF or PS or EPS

You could however print the sticker then cut a box around it however that doesn't look as good as the cut stickers.

If you guys have an exsiting logo - jpg or bmp you can use this website http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ to try and find the font.

Hey Robert, U R right on both counts - thatz Y I didn't bother tying to get the original font... but Tony did that – so itz cool...

The Elan Black Italic looks a little 'old' though - with the small serifs - 'modernism' dictates sans serif... so the font I used is Helvetica Neue Black Extended - and of course I extended it even more to make it more streamlined & 'faster' – and hopefully more dynamic unique...

Those who don't really 'get' graphics and semiotics don't appreciate that subtle 'cues' can denote meaning - making something look 'old' or contemporary - so it's a fine line we're treading as designers...

Anyway, yes I'll supply the graphic as Illustrator - but of course this all has 2b run by Brett at Windrush... after all it's his boat - regardless of what any of us would like...

Archived