Newbie cat

When you say battering how much are you talking about knocking it around?

Assuming you're not planning on bouncing it off rocks there are a few obvious options.

1. Mosquito.  Very popular in Paynesville so plenty of help around. 

2. Taipan.  Plenty around Victoria, Kelvar construction makes them a bit more robust than most "race boats"

3. There is a Nacra 17 in the for sale section here that can be sailed by one or two.

Then you have the plastic Hobies, slower but much more robust.

14ft catamarans would be a great start as they meet all your needs and budget  without the additional weight of larger 16-18 ft cat rigs.

Windrush 14 or Maricat 4.3 would be the 2 best to choose from although you will see other  cheaper 14s for sale such as Hobie or Calypso.

Both Windrush and Maricat will take 2 or sail solo easily enough and both have Jibs.They have been in production for decades so you will be able to pick up a boat for your budget.The benefits of buying one of these two is popularity, so when it comes time to upgrade you wont be stuck with it like some of the other 14s.

The only thing that you may need to take into consideration is your weight and the combined crew weight.

My personal tip would be the  Windrush 14 design,especially when sailing 2 up in choppy waters as you sit a little higher off the water on a Windy than a Maricat and less prone to nose dives.I am sure the Maricat sailors will have something to say about that.lol

Either Maricat 4.3 or Windrush 14 can be purchased with trailer and all the gear to get you started from as little as $500-$1000 for earlier models.

Sites to search are Ebay,Gumtree,Boatpoint or on here for bargain Cats.

CTMD- I was advised to handle wooden boats delicately and it's not my style and thanks for the names of other cats such as the Taipan which I haven't heard of.

And Interested thanks for the Windy/ Mari advice-

Is fibreglass better? I currently weigh 70 kilos but average about 65 on better years -Is it worth posting a want ad?

Perfect weight for both Windy OR Maricat.

All depends on your Budget.

Windy Surfcat/ FGlass-1970s 

Windy Bulkhead?FGlass-1980s

Windy Foam Sandwich Construction-Modern 

Mari MkI FGlass

Mari MkII FGlass

Mari Foam Sandwich construction.

Depending on your budget you can pick up a early Cat  of either in FGlass  for as little as $500 or Brand new Windrush "Foamy" for upto $13K.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windrush-14-Catamaran-A-Sailing-Boat-for-Recreation-Racing-Easy-Rig-Launch-/221319044048?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3387a49bd0&_uhb=1

Or here is a early Windrush for $800neg

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/atherton/sail-boats/14ft-windrush-catamaran-for-sale/1032923148

Both same design.

I was advised to handle wooden boats delicately

We've been sailing wooden boats for centuries..... I think their fairly well sorted by now !!

Like any "racing" craft, how its treated goes a long way towards it's life span ;)

Just because its Kevlar / Glass / Carbon doesn't mean it hasn't got holes or cant be holed

Plenty of glass boats out there that have been holed by wooden boats !!!!

Couple of questions......

Have you been to the local sailing club and had a look at what they are sailing ?

You get far more enjoyment if you've got competition to race against.....

and

other sailors that know the type of boat your sailing will be able to help  ;)

Family or friends ? are you the only person that's going to sail this boat ?

you said you wanted the option of a jib, so whats the crew's thoughts, you may well be thinking Tiapan whilst the crew might be thinking impara cadet

Very few boats are actually designed for multiple setups ..... for most its a tacked on accessory

Personally:

A Taipan is NOT a beginners boat, you really need a couple of seasons on something a bit less forgiving and easier to sail before stepping up to a Taipan, even then it will take another season or two for you to be competitive. 

Mosquito's are common in your area and are adaptable, cat rigged - sloop rigged with crew - cat with spinnaker - sloop with spinnaker...

They are common in wood but also available in glass composites including carbon = how much you can afford ? 10K for a pair of bare carbon hulls ???

The Mari's and hobies have a history that's well documented, research is your best option

;)

Hey interested the Atherton Windy would probably work but just wondering about the logistics of getting to Atherton- guess it's an example of what's out there- thanks for the links

Pirate my local is Lysterfield- some PT's there and a Nacra- I'd like to sail solo but also do some social sailing with family or friends - I have to change my work schedule as it clashes with the local racing so haven't spent enough time at the lake yaking.

Research is a good idea- do Mosqitoes have foils?

Probably to an extent I am a beginner as I have previously ( and still do) crew and helming solo is new but very enjoyable.

Cheers for all the feedback- great site

Read up on the comments in the other fora. As the good mr Darcy points out while condition is everything you can dig out an old but well cared for Maricat Mk1 and race competitively the older Windys or Hobies don't work like that, however you'll still have a great time in either.

Whatever you do get come here for good advice. Also budget $100 or so for new rigging and dolphin striker.

Both the Maricat and Windrush offer ease of transport, rigging and launching - bigger boats are generally faster and will carry more weight.
Larger boats mean you need a second person to raise and lower the mast. On a Windrush 14 for example, it's easily done solo – once you know the method..

Combined max weight on a 14 should be no more than 120 to 130kgs - but the windier it is the more weight the boat will support without too much loss of performance. Just be ready to get wet!
The beauty of the 14's is that they will grow with you; cat, then sloop, then super-sloop configurations are all there - and if you really want to get tangled up, spinnaker option too...
Consensus is that the Windrush is an easier trapezing platform – and the Maricat is generally a better performer in lighter winds. The Windrush is more forgiving and can be driven harder off-wind in stronger winds - by virtue of its more voluminous bows. It can also be car-topped if necessary. That could be a big plus 4U - if you plan to go on weekend trips with a camper-trailer or teardrop...
In the end, it comes down to what you can get for your moolah... but, could I interest you in a new Windy on a payment plan? It really is a boat you can stick with for a lifetime – I know I have – coz it's a real pleasure to sail when tuned and set-up correctly…
PP

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hijack your thread artsailedgreen,

I too am looking to get back into cat sailing after many years/decades away (only ever been casual). This time round I need something that I can easily launch on my own and often with little time, so when Prince Planet mentioned that the Windrush 14 is ok to rig on your own, does anyone have an idea of the time to go from trailer to sailing a Windrush 14 on your own?

While I will be mostly sailing on my own and looking for a fun challenge (i.e. fast :) ) I'd like to be able to take one or two others out for gentle cruises on occasion, which I think this will do as long as I am happy to get wet and don't want to go quickly with more people on board.

I'm looking/considering: http://www.gumtree ... 035401216

Any opinions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit:

it sold between when I started writing this and hit post, oh well; I'll have to keep looking and be prepared to move quickly!

I have spotted a Maricat 4.3, any input on how they go solo rigging? And trailer to sailing time on your own?

Apparently I have been timed when rigging my mari,(I was not aware I was being timed) 25minutes from on the trailer to rigged in sloop configuration, and that is rigging up solo.  As for method of rigging, if you look at the sticky points in the front of the Mari forum there is a procedure there for rigging up solo.

Phil

Copied and pasted from the Maricat forum.

Rigging Cat rig

Leave the boat flat on both hulls facing into wind. Lay the mast between the hulls so that about 2 or 3 ft of the mast (at the step end) is beneath the trampoline. Attach the stays to the mast hound and lay the stays out toward the chainplates. Attach the 2 forestays to the respective bow rings. The tensionsing cord should be extended some 200mm+ from the normal sailing position. Attach the 2 sidestays. At this stage, you are ready to lift the mast and step it. But before you do, have a good look at the apparent mess you have before you. The mast and stays are all connected but laying on the ground they can seem pretty messy. Visualise what it will look like in the vertical. Make sure that the stays are not twisted or caught anywhere etc. You really want to avoid anything that forces you to lay the mast down again, or worse, lose control of it. OK, now that everything looks as though it will be in the right place, you are ready to proceed. It is best to have two people in the process. Firstly, you lift the mast to the vertical on the ground, then you lift it from the ground onto the mast step. Here is how you do it. Lift the mast from a point just below the hound. Check again that everything is rigged in the right sense. You lift the mast to the vertical by ''walking'' your way down the mast and at the same time bringing the base out from under the trampoline so that once vertical the mast will be resting on the ground in the centre of the boat and abutting the mast step. Wedging the mast against the dolphin striker provides added leverage that assists the lift. Keeping hold of the mast, stand on the trampoline (beware wet feet or slippery footwear etc) and once again make sure that everything is rigged in the right sense. Hold the mast about 3 - 5 ft from the base and lift it into the mast step. This operation is manageable by one person but until you get some practice, definitely have the second person stand in front of the mast step and assist with the lift.

Wow, Thanks for the quick responses. 

It sounds like either boat will work, I had been wondering if I needed to be looking for a Nacra 4.5 for solo rigging (more expensive and harder to find); now I just have to find one nearish to Sydney.

Archived