Calypso 4.4 good and bad features handling

QB2

the windrush 14 is probably a better choice as it is still in production with all parts available from the manufacturer - they even got made in the USA under licence- is faster boat too

https://www.windrushyachts.com.au/sailing-boats/windrush-14

this looks good for a lowball effort if your looking for cheap- maricat 14 offer him $500 bet he will accept https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1238022294

I am restoring a caper cat 14 because of the rocker in the hull, makes it a great first boat for my son

No boat is faultless, yet! 😜

Mark,, The Calypso 4.4 good little boat. no structural problem that  I have herd off. Can get parts from Lr sails Brisbane.   Bow bit short so can nose dive a bit.   Sail plan out dated for now days but you can do what ever you like now.   Rudders are push down system that lock in with a rope to hold them tight. Mast quite easy to lift no spreaders. come to the Lake weekend might be one in the boat yard for you to see.   Remember you got to move it around your self and rig it by your self to.   

22 hours ago, Leon said:

Mark,, The Calypso 4.4 good little boat. no structural problem that  I have herd off. Can get parts from Lr sails Brisbane.   Bow bit short so can nose dive a bit.   Sail plan out dated for now days but you can do what ever you like now.   Rudders are push down system that lock in with a rope to hold them tight. Mast quite easy to lift no spreaders. come to the Lake weekend might be one in the boat yard for you to see.   Remember you got to move it around your self and rig it by your self to.   

The caper cat was a better boat- especially for surf/bar crossings, but that was a different boat builder/designer- not the owner of calypso rc, there is a hard point issue where resin pooled on the inside bottom of the hull when molded-no peel ply used- but they were built on contract by many different people so some where good some not so good. lr sails doesn't have all the parts required to rebuild one to full safe spec. Manders sails Greg Ellis has beaten LR sails on price for many of the soft components required to do a rebuild, I play fair, I get prices from all contenders- alloy sections from Karl Mueller at Keeley Marine was the only supplier with the small boom front x-member, side tramp frame extrusions- none of it is cheap, to restore an old boat will cost you more then you think, be close to $5k without sails/jib and mast/boom. a new windrush is like $15k? https://www.windrushyachts.com.au/sailing-boats/windrush-14

Is half price to do one up over buying a newie, but you need to have some trade skills, not be just an electrician with a can do attitude!

For me it is for mementos for my son, if looks after things I made for him with my hands, he will be able to past them down to his son.  Like a hand print on a rock.

Thanks for the comments.. Windrushs are pretty rare here in Brisvegas but there are plenty of Maricats around so thinking of going down that route once again.. I've had two before so know what to expect.and they are pretty rock solid still,  The other plus is they have an active NSW and ACT Association which still holds Nationals etc. i would like a newer style cat like the Calypso with their narrower bows but its a case of seeing whats around and what attracts me again. 

We have two Calypso 14’s and a Calypso 16 competing in the roughly 50km Milang to Goolwa race coming up this Sunday, you can follow their results if you like, i’m a Nacra 5.8 sailor so more into big boats but I must confess I like  the Calypso. Just make sure the rudders lock down properly before you hand your money over, on any of these push down rudder boats it’s a pain in the wallet if they say the rudders need sorting out