FX-one

cruiser

Mmmmmm........ motivated to do what? Buy an orphan boat which has only sold one or two units in this country and has been spectacularly unsuccessful in sales and regatta performance around the world. It's a rediculously heavy slug built with f18 spares and an outdated heavy mast and sails from about three generations of development ago. I saw one in a mixed regatta at Hervey Bay a few years ago - the only one brought in to Qld I understand. It couldn't keep up with anything in the fleet and gave up half way through.

Tell him to buy something that has performance so he can at least be around other boats or a class which has numbers for one design racing. In this size Hobie 16 comes to mind for the former and taipan 4.9 for the latter. Nacra 5.0 would be in between with a bit of performance and some numbers in some areas.

Originally posted by John Dowling:

It's a rediculously heavy slug built with f18 spares and an outdated heavy mast and sails from about three generations of development ago.

Not sure which saying is more appropriate.... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. or a fool and his money are easily parted...

The better question are there any in the country?

I remember there MAY have been one forsale through Sailing Scene some time ago but its the only one i've heard of. Never seen one in the flesh at any NSW regatta.

Thanks mate, they are a hard beast to track down in this country... . A mate of mine who is a pilot is keen to get on the water, and has alot of air hostesses who's eyes lit up when he showed them the pic of an FX-one with wings and said "I'm thinking of getting this for fun on weekends."

So the motivation isn't race driven, sorry fellas. To be honest, he probably will race with us at the Lake, but will prossibly have a different crew each week, and for the weeks he doesn't, he can still go one up.

I know the 4.9Taipan, Nacra 5.0 & Hobie 16 fits in the category and selection criteria, but he is sold on the wings.

Thank you kindly for the input.

Chocko

Cruiser, mate... seriously, advise him that he aint going to find one...

So far we've come across a possibility of 2 in the country. Good luck tracking those down because they aren't being actively raced or attending regatta's so who knows where they may be now.

If he wants wings get a Hobie 17, plenty more of them around and cheaper no doubt.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I have FxOne 165 and love it.

Here in Europe its being raced in its own class with one or two crew.

Its a fast and a challenging one man craft (I went from an OK dinghy with 8m2 sail, to the Fx with 35m2) that also embodies the Hobie Way Of Life, as its hulls are strong enough to be pulled up on the beach and not like some of the 75kg youghurt pots that you can't even look at before getting bumps in the hull.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

yes there are

The better question are there any in the country?

I remember there MAY have been one forsale through Sailing Scene some time ago but its the only one i've heard of. Never seen one in the flesh at any NSW regatta.

There are 3 of these amazing boats in the country, one of which i know the owner who is currently selling it, regrettably i do not have the money for the purchase, they fly; and with the right sailor will perform extremely well. I have also been lucky enough to go on it.

that is all of them, but if anyone is interested in buying an fx one the link to the one i know of is.

http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=11484780

AMAZING BOAT!

post-10793-13776299424524_thumb.jpg

Archived