Build an a class

marcus40

Hello everyone.

For a long time now i have been wanting to build my own A class.When i started sailing i had a heavy old a class and i had to sell it.I am a big guy of 130kgs and would like to know if there are some plans out there i can build from maybe wood maybe something else.Any help would be good.

Thank you

Marcus

You would need to build one the same specs as an Object for your weight as it has the best buoyancy of all the designs out there. I was 120kg's and had trouble off the wind in a flyer with the rear beam hitting the water all the time. I am now 100kgs and thinking of getting another A.

but shouldn't the answer be that unless you're experienced in very sophisticated materials you'd be unlikely to be competitive, weight or not. I wouldn't have thought that a ply based boat would be able to withstand the stresses that a carbon, high top rig would impose. Better to spend your lazy 30-40k on a second hand boat.

Seems a good question for the National A-class measurer. Contact details at:

http://www.a-cat.org.au/contacts.html

Here's a great article on building your own A-class: http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/49/build-your-own-a-class-catamaran?Article49.html

After achieving a perfect gloss finish on the glorious timber, he painted it white. Ugh!!! Might as well call it the Kelvinator

• 3 weeks later...

mate if your 130 kgs, its unlike ly you will be competitive at national level anyway, unless it blows it a** off, you would be better off buying a reasonable boat that is strong and already setup with stiff mast. for an A you could spend as little as 5 or as much as 30 on a second hand boat. around the ten mark and you should be able to pick up a very reasonable boat, with carbon rig and all the good bits.

Hey Marcus

I have orded a set of Cobra plans just waiting for them to arive. I chose the cobra for the good volume hulls and the people involved with the class are very helpfull (just my opinion)

Cheers

This Sailor at our club made this his 4th A class last year out of ply, he has a big rocker, cantered boards, very light platform bellow minimum weight, all made very inexpensively. The draw back he's found with tortured ply is that he couldn't get the bottom flat enough so he's already building another out of divinacell which is lighter and easier to work with. The biggest problem with the ply is getting good enough timber. At your weight you can sacrifice some build weight for more buoyancy. PM me if you want to talk to him.

Archived