Cat sailors with trailer sailors.

Dr Peter

Guilty too Peter, I have a Careel 18 (No 200 Katrina) which I bought about eight years ago just because I wanted to sail again as my kids were growing up and didn't need constant ferrying around. Just happened that Katrina was an old racer. She's served us well and although my wife hates boats me and some of the kids have had a great time, racing mostly and mainly on Pittwater and the nationals on Lake Mac.

I did buy a Careel 22 but it didn't work out so I sold it and then went looking for a boat to sail single-handed - went along to Mannering Park and was drawn in by its force field!

I have a Mosquito which I race Mk1 on Sundays and a Flying Fifteen which I race with my daughter Saturdays. Its good racing completely different types of boats, the contrasts have help me stay interested in the sport. My kids never got into racing with me on the Mozzie but the Flying Fifteen has been a real success, they dont even get wet most of the time and feel secure sailing on a "real" boat. For me, I prefer the cat as I like the speed and trapezing but planing downwind with the spinnaker up on the Flying Fifteen has its merits.

I got into the Flying Fifteen after reading an article on the net about the demise of sailing so I decided to do something about it at a personal level, figuring that if I can get one of my kids into the sport, then it might not go down the gurgler. I bought an old classic in poor condition, very cheap, raced it for a season while fixing it then did a complete restore last winter. In the end, the whole project cost under 5 grand including boat purchase, newer sails, and total rebuild on boat and trailer. Now the wife and kids all sail on the boat which is sailing most weeks and my daughter is hooked on the sport.

I think owning a cat and trailerable keel boat gives access to some of the best parts of the sport.

Darryn

Mosquito

1782 Bullet

and

Flying Fifteen

1678 Jumping Jack Flash

Interesting - our first boat was a classic Flying 15. I was initially going to sail it with my son. Then he discovered Lasers, skateboards and cars and I was left with a two person boat. My wife stepped up and she just loved it. This weekend she crewed on a boat at the Timpenny titles at Yarrawonga. I bobbed around in a rescue boat.

Always enjoyed our 15.

Peter

i have had both but not at same time, i previously owned a racing 8 metre trailer bucket. was an 80's JOG style design but still quick, sold it because too hard getting three crew each week and my kids too young to crew on it. got into the cats( mossies) along side darryn kopp, loved it!!! bought a stingray now sailing with my kids, but now keen on getting another trailer bucket. very keen on elliot 7 or similar.

me too

a sonata 6, windrush 14 and black witch [think 18 foot mozzie]

love to fish and cruise around for day plus camp out once in awhile

in a bit of wind why not go fast instead of stress old rigging on old trailer sailer

when wind and weather good cat

if not ts cruise

most boats are a compromise so need for two better suited to one pursuit each best option

my 15 yold daughter happy to bob around on windrush and use as sun deck with girl friends

but in a bit of wind lots of fun to be had on windrush

black witch, giddy up and hold on for inexperienced like me

"he who has most toys when he dies wins"

2 TS's and 2 cats. I could solve this by buying an F32 I suppose, fast and roomy, would only need another mortgage or two.

There is another W600 at AWYC Greg. Gets sailed about twice a year. Your's is yellow right? And Peter, I've been hearing rumours about a recent purchase? No more Maricats? BTW I'm organising a long distance race during winter, anyone from YYC be interested? OTB as well as TY's, around 10NM windward return, 8am start to catch the ghost but pizza, beer and bullshit afterward, sat. so you blokes can stay over. I'll keep you informed.

I know the W600 at AWYC. It was also sailed at Mokoan when the owner lived in the area. It's one of the wide 10'6" models made at the end of the W600 build.

Mine's a cream 8'6" original narrow version. They each have different handicaps, the wider at 106, the narrow at 112.

As far as a passage race on Lake Hume goes, if it gets underway, let me know. we still have a few sailors from NEW [North East Windsport Club, formally MoYC] including myself, who may well be interested in getting involved, especially if its akin to the Tallangatta Race!!!!

They've dropped the water level at Lake Mulwalla so we were wondering about winter activities. I reckon there would be a fair bit of interest. The last one to Tallangatta was well rec'd by all accounts. I didn't go but the first mate did. Get onto Trevor Turnbull ASAP - I'm pretty sure the TS boys and girls would be keen but at 10km, I think I might leave the Maricat at home.

Peter

Yeah Pete.....,

You should do about that in a normal club race.

I know we tried to do that when Mokoan was in existence.

At 1 Nm per leg; triangle =3Nm, windward and return = 2Nm , triangle =3Nm and beat to the finish =1Nm plus all tacks IE = 10Nm.

As a cat sailor, I loved it when the OOD got it wrong and set a I Km work and a 2Km reach!!!!!

I've got to say, windward and returns leave me cold, just a procession!!!

The most exhilarating and interesting part of a race are the reaches, with all the catching up, passing and blocking maneuvers that take place at speed within arms length from each other.

I think you need new glasses there Doc. That would be 10NM, not KM. I've got a GPS track from Easter, was an 8.5NM beat, 10NM in a straight line. If there is wind *shrug* we can chuck a wing mark in and make it longer. I've done the course in the Hydra, was a hoot so harden up Princess. Only drawback is limited rescue, have to rely on TS's and maybe 1 patrol boat but trying to arrange some waterproof VHF's for OTB's. Stay tuned, I've got Trev's number.

Status 580's are fairly thin on the ground, Robb Legg design and there were quite a few built as daycabin racers but very few TS types. There is a fleet down at Payensville owned by the club, and a few private ones as well so might be worth a ring, Gippsland Lakes Yacht Club. Failing that an i550 would be a great boat, or an Elliot 5.9.

post-10297-13776299312428_thumb.jpg

post-10297-13776299313163_thumb.jpg

post-10297-13776299313627_thumb.jpg

post-10297-13776299314371_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived