Tyro Cat ??

anewton

Hi all,

I've been given a little cat desperately in need of repair but basically sound.

I thinks it's a Tyro class. Similar size to an Arafura but I can't find any info at all.

Does anyone remember this class. Any info on where they were sailed and who designed them.

By the way, Terewaka means fast canoes.

2776381704_49994fbfd8_o.jpg

2786420004_6da2c32507.jpg

[This message has been edited by anewton (edited 19 August 2008).]

[This message has been edited by anewton (edited 23 August 2008).]

Thanks for the info and welcome.

It will be more a rough and ready resurrection than full resto.

I do have some experience bringing neglected monos back to life but this cat stuff is a little different.

Replacing beam bolts, painting decks and foils, refitting hatches and re-lacing tramp are the main requirements.

On further examination this is not like an Arafura at all. It's actually 12ft long and the hulls are much deeper.

I removed the main beam today and weighed it. 8kg! That seems excessive to me. Al box section with timber insert. It doesn't have a dolphin striker. Do you reckon I could get away with a lighter beam that would still support the mast?

Originally posted by anewton:

Hi all,

I've been given a little cat desperately in need of repair but basically sound.

I thinks it's a Tyro class. Similar size to an Arafura but I can't find any info at all.

Does anyone remember this class. Any info on where they were sailed and who designed them.

By the way, Terewaka means fast canoes.

2776381704_49994fbfd8_o.jpg

2786420004_6da2c32507.jpg

[This message has been edited by anewton (edited 23 August 2008).]

Yes I think it is a Tyro Cat, last place I remember seeing them was at Cairn Curran or was it Yarrawonga, too long ago. Don't know anything more though, I was a Arafura sailor for a while, you are right about them being bigger, was supposed to allow 2 kids to sail them. Arrow or Tiger beams with dolphin striker sound like a good option.

Regards Gary.

2852962644_ff81663040.jpg

Jib lead tracks and cleats, rudder assembly and trampoline refitted.

Well I'm impressed. It looks like a boat again.

Costs so far are about $200. Jib tracks, al strip, bolts and screws, epoxy hardener, hiking straps and some line are all I needed to buy. The rest I had gathering dust in the shed.

Luckily I had the jib fairleads, cleats and sail battens from previous craft. Geez fittings are expensive now!.

[This message has been edited by anewton (edited 14 September 2008).]

• 3 weeks later...

Point Henry hasn't changed!.. lots of weed still. 50 years ago my father sailed his homebuilt catamaran off Point Henry ONCE and then left it there as it scared him too much.

He set off with a southerly breeze behind him and couldn't turn the cat as the rudders broke. He had to drop the sail, paddle it around and then sailed it back to shore where he left it for a week before a storm blew it across the bay.

He gave it up as a bad loss and never built or sailed on another cat until i took him out on my maricat

I wish I could identify what class cat he built.

Originally posted by QB2:

Point Henry hasn't changed!..

Great story! There are lots of shallow areas just waiting to challenge rudders and boards but it's a great launching spot.

Often lots of kite surfers. Wonder what happens when a cat and a kite tangle?

of the launching and next trip will feature on-board video.

2910882153_17dc77bef5.jpg

[This message has been edited by anewton (edited 05 October 2008).]

Excellent vision and the Tyro goes well too.

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems getting it up again when/if you pitchpole it.

Is that a homebuilt camera case or a bought one? The bug walking down the lense at 1.39 threw me for a while! I had to go back and really concentrate on the sailing

I was looking for a cheap set up for a JVC Everio I bought so if you have any suggestions they would be welcome. I am determined to get images & vision of my AO when I eventually get it back on the water hopefully in coming weeks.

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems getting it up again when/if you pitchpole it.

Is that a homebuilt camera case or a bought one? The bug walking down the lense at 1.39 threw me for a while! I had to go back and really concentrate on the sailing

I was looking for a cheap set up for a JVC Everio I bought so if you have any suggestions they would be welcome. I am determined to get images & vision of my AO when I eventually get it back on the water hopefully in coming weeks.

It's a Stingray make underwater housing for an old Hi8 cam that no longer works.

I fitted my little Canon miniDV unit into it. Don't have any control over focus and zoom but can start and stop recording using magnets.

Photos here

Oh yeah, the bug must have snuck in when I changed battery and tape onshore. I have a very funny underwater video with an ant crawling around inside also.

[This message has been edited by anewton (edited 06 October 2008).]

Dunno how I posted three times sorry about that!

You take excellent photos. Those are great dive shots.

Last time I was in Geelong was Christmas about 4 years ago and I could only go ankle deep in the water at Eastern beach. Way Too Cold!

Is there a cat/sailing club in Geelong you could sail out of?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived