SUNDANCE 5 INFO AND FEEDBACK

bh

I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A SUNDANCE 5 CAT.IT HAS NO SAILS WITH AND I HAVE SPENT HOURS ON THE NET TRYING TO FIND INFO ON SAIL AREAS,LUFF,LEECH AND FOOT SIZES AS WELL AS GENERAL PERFOMANCE, WITH NO SUCCESS.OTHER THAN DISCOVERING ON ANOTHER CATSAILOR FORUM THAT DARRYL J BARRETT WAS THE DESIGNER.I AM NOT A CAT RACER, JUST A KEEN SOCIAL SAILOR LOOKING TO UPDATE FROM MY H14 TO A CAT THAT A COUPLE OF PEOPLE CAN SAIL.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ON THE CAT.

Oh and by the way, the Sundance 5m way out performs a Hobie 16 both for racing AND for pleasure use when it comes to hassle free sailing with "good" manners and the extra buoyancy that lets you sail with three or four adults on board and still be able to sail without "sinking" the hulls and/or pitch poling and/or “Hobie horsing” like the Hobie does.

As most people are fully aware, popularity and design quality are often two different things Mal, Incidentally you of all people should "tread softly" when raising the subject of bias particularly when it comes to anything Hobie?http://www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/ubb/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.catsailor.net/cgi-bin/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

One could also use the example of the boat that was designed for a holiday/tourism award in UK (i think UK).

Of course you'd be talking about the Laser...

One of the worlds most uncomplicated boats yet it has by far the most sailed class (off the beach or whatever else there is)...

That doesn't mean its a nice boat to sail... I'd go as far as saying its a pig of a boat to sail in more than 15knts... the fact that you have to have the rudder measured to liek 74degrees and cant tuck it under to reduce the weatherhelm...

But the H16 is a boat that can be sailed by 2-3 adults (anymore and it dosnt have the bouyancy). Though to race one you need to have a certain hobie nack, as they are a very different boat to get used to...

Here we go - couldn't resist... I love tribal warfare:

Looking for reasons Hobie 16s have proliferated compared to any other boat designed to sail fast (which includes the non-banana Hobies) is like looking at VHS vs Beta, Microsoft vs Mac, Holden Commodore vs - well, almost anything else really (ooh look at those tempers fray now!).

While there is a bit of tongue in cheek there, the point is well made that good design does not automatically lead to marketing success and mass uptake. If it did, we would all have been driving Citroens since 1957.

I think part of the appeal of H 16s is that they are all the same so it's crew vs crew, they are bullet-proof, and are easy to come by. I have gleaned this while sailing past them mind you, as tribal law prevents me from actually climbing on board one! ;)

• 2 months later...

the sundance 5 has a tendancy when poorly rigged to bury the hull, especially when sailed by amateurs. Buy one of the obviously superior class of cat, a hobie 18 and you may then be in with a chance to win the Australia Day Cup!

Originally posted by bh:

I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A SUNDANCE 5 CAT.IT HAS NO SAILS WITH AND I HAVE SPENT HOURS ON THE NET TRYING TO FIND INFO ON SAIL AREAS,LUFF,LEECH AND FOOT SIZES AS WELL AS GENERAL PERFOMANCE, WITH NO SUCCESS.OTHER THAN DISCOVERING ON ANOTHER CATSAILOR FORUM THAT DARRYL J BARRETT WAS THE DESIGNER.I AM NOT A CAT RACER, JUST A KEEN SOCIAL SAILOR LOOKING TO UPDATE FROM MY H14 TO A CAT THAT A COUPLE OF PEOPLE CAN SAIL.

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ON THE CAT.

There's a Sundance 5 on Trading post with two sets of sails for $1500, that gives you an idea of wether your project is worth continuing with. You could consider purchasing that one or approaching him to sell one set of sail's seperate. I don't know the 5 but I like the 14ft we run at the club the only problem was it got brittle decks from being left in the sun and the sidestay tangs broke away taking a foot of deck with it, both sides on two seperate occaision's. I was able to repair okay but if the boat your looking at has been left in the sun and the sails have rotted because they were left in the sail box it would have to be very cheap to be worth it. regards Jeff

Have just purchased a 4.3 sundance here in queensland, never seen one before, its in great cond with nearly new sails. guy i bought it from had no idea what type of cat it was and i only just found out by seeing ad for one in south australia. Have only sailed it a couple of times, one up on trapeze, awesome little cat.I would like to know if there is a yardstick for this cat as i would like to race it.

Archived