Commencing a Calypso 16 refurb in western Brisbane

Brisso57

Just this afternoon towed home a Calypso 16 that has adorned a nearby front garden for 3 years (plus?)

(White hulls, yellow decks - labelled "Gold Rush". Does anyone know anything of it's history?)

I'm hoping it won't be too big a job to get back on the water. It seems to be complete, but as you'd expect there are a few bits of rope, shock cord to be replaced, and also a few other items.

Trailer needs work for registration also.

First up though, it needs a damn good clean! :-)

I'll get out the camera in the morning and take a "before" snap.

also, it'd be helpful if there are any other Calypso 16 owners /restorers located near to me in west Brisbane.

Anyone?

Cheers for now. I'll post progress bulletins.

Doug

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit more detail on what was included in the purchase:

Two sets of sails:

A main and non-furling jib, both all yellow, sail # 186; and

A main and a furling jib, multi-coloured, sail # 35. (I think this may be the original sail, and if so, this is quite an early Calypso 16.)

Made a good start into cleaning the tops of the hulls, using Jif and a sponge.

Also replaced a couple of ropes and shock cords. More to go though.

Doug

Hey where does the other end of the yellow rope on the rudders tie off (then end that doesn't go through the cleat)? I'm going to change mine to have a pulley in them too' date=' I like that idea![/quote']

The pulley definitely reduces the effort. There is a st/steel "U" fixed to each rudder arm, on the opposite side to the cleat. The rope is tied to that (bowline!), runs down through the pulley, and then back forward through the cleat and ends in a plastic ball fitting.

I'll post a photo for you later today.

BTW, yesterday I bought two replacement rubbers ("tested rubber rings" they're called, apparently) from my local Burmah plumbing supply shop. $6.50 for two.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A long hiatus owing to domestic duties, but now back on the project. Wire-brushed the rust off the trailer axle, treated with rust converter, then painted with Killrust spray enamel. Next job is to remove and replace the wheel bearings.

Next job is to remove and replace the wheel bearings.

Oh Dear! Both sides inner and outer tapered roller bearings are completely stuffed.

There is also rust on the tapers, so I'll need to consult an expert about whether it's worth fitting new bearings or whether I need to attend to the axle.

On the brighter side, surprisingly the tyres are in good condition, despite having sat in a garden for years. :-)

Doug

Doug bearings are easy to replace once you know what your doing. Axels are bloody tough and when not used for extended periods with leaking seals will show signs of surface rust which help to seize the bearings even faster. Just clean everything off with petrol, and give the axel a good work over with sand paper/wire brush will do the trick. Replace all bearings (numbers will be on the old ones) and the bearing kits include new inner/outer rubber seals.

Once your ready to go you should come out on Moreton Bay with Andy, Dave and myself. Would be great to have another cat join us!

Vic Pt is fantastic for it's location and access to all the other islands in Moreton Bay. Downside is beach launching is hard/impossible as tides are quick and the bay is just mud so I've been launching from the boat ramp.

Would love some suggestions if anybody knows of any sandy beaches between the Wynnum/Manly-Cleveland areas????

Hi Brisso - your cat is not early - a mate of mine owns #9 which is in very good sailing condition and lives at Mitchelton - have also seen #4 ('Bumblebee') around north bris and also at lake cootharaba. They are very underrated cats and are faster than many on a double trapped reach (we have done 19 knots recorded with onboard gps) with less tendency to pitch pole than hobie's etc. Downside is they are not so good upwind to a mark and therefore not great for racing as they don't really sail to their 85 yardstick unless you can wring it's neck in 15 - 20 knots. Good to see a few around though - cheers

Thanks Limo. I'm taking my trailer axle off to be repaired tomorrow. Slow but steady progress.

Just musing about a name for the relaunch. A former owner has named it "Gold Rush".

I'm thinking about "Harvest". Anyone geddit? :-)

Doug

Thanks Limo. I'm taking my trailer axle off to be repaired tomorrow. Slow but steady progress.

Just musing about a name for the relaunch. A former owner has named it "Gold Rush".

I'm thinking about "Harvest". Anyone geddit? :-)

Doug

or just add "After the" before Gold Rush

Archived