Sightings of "garden cats" - potentially for sale

Brisso57

Every so often I drive past someone's yard where there's a catamaran that's obviously not moved in quite a long time. I'm thinking a thread where such sightings can be reported might be helpful for those wishing to find a "fixer-upperer" cat.

I was moved to post this because not so far from where I live there's a yard that can best be described as a "catamaran graveyard".

I don't know the owner, but there would have to be 7 or so cats of various types (a couple of Hobies, a couple of what I think might be Hydra's, the rest, I don't know).

They are located in Chapel Hill* (Brisbane), and if anyone is interested in going for a sticky-beak, then PM me and I'll supply the address. As I said, I don't know the circumstances of the owner, but I'm sure a polite enquiry wouldn't be amiss if you are interested.

(* The photo on Google Earth isn't recent enough to show them.)

So over to you, forum readers, feel free to post your sightings. Let's get a few of these cats re-homed & back on the water.

cheers

Doug

In 2012 I noticed a Windrush 14 sitting in the same spot for years and approached the owner. I did it up and sold it to a club member who is now enjoying her second season.

I'm about to sell another into the club. Darcy at Mannering Park on lake Macquarie is master of this 'fix and sell' idea and can offer heaps of advice.

It's a great way to build numbers in a club if you have the space and time.  Sando

If sailors here know of fair to good condition cats that for one reason or another aren't being sailed currently please put forward suggestions where n where they are. I am currently boatless after an offer out of the blue and pondering my next cat to get back on Moreton Bay. 

Best time of year to be on Moreton Bay atm.

I know of an address near the corner of Dayboro Rd and Youngs Crossing @ Petrie that has several cats front and rear. I've got a gut feeling he/she/they sail @ Lake Samsonvale. I really need to get out there some time to see whats there.

There seems to be a shortage of lower priced 2nd hand boats. I know it's that time of year when people think of sailing. For me, I think it will take some time in finding a boat.  The quality ones seem to sell fairly quickly. Plus some owners of boats requiring plenty of work are asking top price. One boat I was going to look at was sold when another buyer put down a deposit  even though he hadn't seen the boat yet. I've been caught once with a boat that required heaps of $ to make it seaworthy! So I'm telling my self to be patient.

the corner address mentioned - you will find him somewhat difficult and most likely unrealistic with prices etc - good idea though - keep looking - I have found a garden prindle 16' (had a lot of fun fixing and sailing this boat - far superior to a hobie) and later a garden hydra (boat was crap but trailer was good) so far - both sold now but always keeping a lookout for more - recently found a garden arrow but the owner had no pants on when he answered to the door bell so I left that one... :-/

Just had a friend tell me about a Calypso 16 in Melbourne that is owned by some sea scouts that is about to hit the market.  I've suggested he advertise it here but in the meantime if anyone is interested let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Just had a friend tell me about a Calypso 16 in Melbourne that is owned by some sea scouts that is about to hit the market.  I've suggested he advertise it here but in the meantime if anyone is interested let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Interesting, My calypso 16 was donated to my sea scout group years ago and I ended up with it because they couldn't use it (Scouts are only allowed to sail 1/2 ton wooden boats that max out at about 6 knots)

the corner address mentioned - you will find him somewhat difficult and most likely unrealistic with prices etc - good idea though - keep looking - I have found a garden prindle 16' (had a lot of fun fixing and sailing this boat - far superior to a hobie) and later a garden hydra (boat was crap but trailer was good) so far - both sold now but always keeping a lookout for more - recently found a garden arrow but the owner had no pants on when he answered to the door bell so I left that one... :-/

Well that settles it. Sailing IS the most fun you can have with your pants ON! :-)

Doug

• 1 year later...

If sailors here know of fair to good condition cats that for one reason or another aren't being sailed currently please put forward suggestions where n where they are. I am currently boatless after an offer out of the blue and pondering my next cat to get back on Moreton Bay. 

Please see my Paper Tiger in the ads section

• 3 weeks later...

Archived