Sailing Safety

Today I had a lucky escape that kind of "freaked" me out and made me question how safe it is to ever go sailing alone?

I was sailing on Morton Bay between Cleveland Point and Peel Island and probably 600meters to the west of Peel Island when the rope that connects my trapese to the shock cord broke at the trap buckle dropping me in the drink.

I herld onto the tiller extension but that broke too. I expected teh boat to capsize pretty quickly without my weight on it, but when I fell over board I must have uncleated the main sheet because the boat just kept going.

I was left bobbing around with half a tiller extension and a hat. So I put the hat on the tiller extension and frantically waved it around in the air to try and attract the attention of passing boats, but I had no luck. All the boats were too far away to be able see me in the water.

The wind and tide were blowing me away from Peel Island and I was seriously starting to worry about my safety. I was in the water for over an hour before a boat finally saw me and I was picked up.

My Taipan had ran aground on the reef at the south west end of Peel Island. The people who picked me up anchored their cruiser off the reef and took me in in their dingy.

By this time my cat was high and dry on the reef and I had to drag it as gently as I could across the reef into deeper water. The dagger boards copped a floggin on the way in across the reef, and the port hull has been damaged. By the time I sailed back to Raby Bay the port hull had half filled with water.

What shocked me was how quickly and easily I ended up in pretty serious trouble. This afternoon I've been thinking about what I could do differently next time to somehow have a safety line that connects my harness to the boat.

I always sail with may trap line connected to my harness whenever I sail alone, even when I'm just sitting on the hull. I've always figured it's safer to be tethered to the boat by the trap line, but today shot a hole in that safety theory.

Today was a seriously scary situation to be in. The only other thing I thought I could have done was tie the end of the main sheet to my harness, as I'd at least of been dragged by the boat until it either capsized, or I pulled myself up the rope.

Has anyone got any ideas about what other methods could be used to prevent this sort of thing happening?

Cheers

Barry

PS: The rope that broke was only a few weeks old!

Barry,

You've had a lucky escape. I'd seriously question the wisdom of going out on Moreton Bay alone on any kind of boat let alone a beach cat where numerous things can break and put you in the drink. In your trapeze system alone things such as the wire itself, a swage, the hound fitting, the rope you mentioned, the fitting used to attach the rope to the wire and the hook on your harness all break at some time or other. It's just part of OTB sailing. The Bay also can change very quickly and you could capsize without anything breaking and the boat could be swept away. I would suggest joining and sailing with a club which has rescue boats on the water even if you don't race. Just sailin the general area they race and pay the fee and let them know you are there. Other alternatives are to sail on enclosed lakes by yourself such as Lake Samsonvale or Lake Cootharaba. At the very minimum sail with another competent person on the boat or with at least with another boat. I also wouldn't spend a real lot of time in the water around Peel - GW's and other garden variety Noahs are around there.

I know you are looking for ways to tie yourself to the boat but I don't think that's the answer. It can be dangerous as well if you can't untie quickly in the event of a capsize or mast breakage. I've been in your situation a number of years ago where a 50+ knot storm appeared very quickly in an offshore area. My boat capsized and I was quickly separated from it. Fortunately I was sailing in a national titles and the rescue boats rounded up the fifty competitors in about 30 minutes. That was a very scary time and I wouldn't be writing this if I had been out alone. I also had the experience last season of having six cats out during a junior training camp when a storm suddenly hit. The safety drills and briefing that morning sure came in to focus for the kids in a hurry. All safe because we had rescue boats and it was on a lake.

I don't mean to offend but I reckon anyone who goes out alone in a small boat on Moreton Bay is a dill.

Cheers

John Dowling

Probably none of this is what you want to hear

Agree intirely John. Morton Bay can and is one of the most dangerour sailing areas.

And the Cleveland area has the biggest current around.

I stongly suggest you dont tie your self in any form to your boat. If you got knocked out by the boom, you would get dragged and not be able to do anything.

If you have to go sailing by your self Invest in a personal E Burb, Mirror, Personal safety gear that you can carry on your self. Mobile phone in a water proof contailer, There are some containers that you can pin onto your self.

And tell some one were you are going, Coast Gard, Mum, Dad, Wife , etc.

Thats why I sail at a club Barry, Controled area. Maybe you could sail at Cleveland sailing club when they are open and tell them you not raceing but just going for a sail over to Horse Shoe Bay.

Leon

For the international readers.... "dill" is the first one!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?page=1&term=dill

So Barry, you have just worked out that boat without a lip (aka taipan, a-class, nacra) sails on its side much faster than you can swim! unless of course your thorpy.

Same thing happened to me 20 years ago on a a-class. my boat ended up on the rocks with some nice holes in it.

the difference is that I was at a yacht club, and a rescue boat came for me eventually.

Hi John,

I welcome your feedback and agree there is a lot of wisdom in your comments above.

I guess there is, and always will be, some element of risk associated with all leisure activities, and personal safety is about managing those risks in a practical fashion.

I'm a member of a club, although I do sail alone a fair bit as well, and I don't ever want to stop sailing alone, even after the events of yesterday. Personally I gain far to much pleasure from sailing to limit myself to "round the cans" sailing on Sundays, or staying in the one area so that rescue boats watching the racers might be able to keep an eye on me as well.

While I agree there is wisdom in sailing only at club events where there are rescue boats about, for me the question is really what can we do differently that will prevent a situation arising where we become separated from our boats?

I agree that tieing the mainsheet to my harness may not be the ideal answer, but it's a practical starting point and hopefully others can chip in some other ideas.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 31 August 2008).]

Hi Leon and Hood,

Leon your suggestions of having personal safety gear attached to you makes good sence. I always have my mobile phone with me in a waterproof case, but it's tucked away in the tramp pocket. So it wasn't much use to me when I got separated from my boat and that will be just one of the things I'll change for next time, and I'll also put a small mirror in the case with the phone.

As for not tieing youself to the boat under any circumstances. I don't know about that one. Maybe it comes down to choosing the lesser of two evils.

After what I experienced yesterday I feel that tieing my harness to the main sheet is the lesser of the two evils when off set against the possibility of being knocked out by the boom.

I say that only because on a cat your always generally on the windward side of the boom unless your in the process of tacking, and then your expecting the boom to come across and have already ducked, hopefully.

If you have a gear failure and loose control of the boom, generally it's going to be blown away from you to leeward. Granted it could flick back and cause you injury, but I'd rather take the risk of being knocked out and dragged, over being left behind in the water like I was on Saturday.

HooD just to clarify a point, my boat never went over on it side. It stayed up right the whole time and sailed happily without me for several miles before running aground.

Cheers

Barry

I was advised when sailing solo to buy a snapshackle and tie it to your trap harness and then run the mainsheet through it with a stopper knot or figure of eight so the rope would not pass through.

The snap schackle can be easily tripped if you find yourself being dragged along. Just where to tie the snapshackle on the harness high up on a shoulder or low on the hip I don't know.

I know not to loop the mainsheet around your hand after seeing one sailor with his forearm in a fibreglass half cast for months after he was dragged behind his QB2 off Townsville. There is something to be said for having weather helm so your cat will round up if you fall overboard. The trouble with my AO is off the wind it has lee helm and would sail off by itself if I became separated from it.

So - I'm not the only one either! My incident happened out in the middle of Port Stephens last year - poly trap wire parted. Replaced with SS again!

My A Class flopped as soon as my weight was off, but it drifted WAAAAAY faster than I could swim with harness on. Luckily wind and tide were onshore, so all I really had to worry about was damage to the boat, and staying afloat - swimming to cover any ground was near impossible. In the end I hung onto a bouy.

I also had a brand new white hat, which is what my rescuer ultimately saw, after having their sandbank cricket match interrupted by a sideways cat shortening the bowler's run-up. They looked upwind - about 2kms - and saw this tiny little white thing waving about.

Then they sent a jetski to pick me up. How embarrassing - I rail against jetskis at every opportunity. Oh well, at least I tipped it over while climbing on!

My solution is not to stop doing risky things, but to make them less risky. I don't know Moreton Bay well enough to comment on solo sailing an A cat there, but Port Stephens on an ebb tide would be a scary place too.

So I carry my mobile in a waterproof pouch inside my harness. I also agree that the trap should be used even if not needed. I think the mainsheet idea has merit, but sometimes I need to dump the lot while on the wire (usually broad reaching in 15kn plus) So there is another idea I might fiddle with: a lifeline, from harness to mast step, long enough to allow furthest trap swing. It must not foul anything, obviously! Perhaps a shockcord tensioner to keep it shortish, but with enough length to allow me to actually hit the water, rather than hanging off the upturned hull (might damage something!). A snap release would be a good safeguard.

I would rather have the default option of staying with the big floating thing. Self-recovery if you are with the boat should normally not be a problem. If something is seriously wrong and you are better off letting it go (and I cannot think what that might be), the release would need to let go under load.

Dick Clarke

Hi Barry, The boats called "Learning to fly...", not "Learning to SWIM..."!! If its any consolation she did that to me once too. I got swept off the trap wire after sailing into a hole and getting tea bagged whilst on a screaming reach. Boat continued in a wide arc to leeward before eventually capsising about 100 yards away. I soon found its very hard to make significant progress swimming in a harness and pfd! Fortunately there were other sail boats in the area and i was picked up fairly promtly and reunited with L2F. I never sailed that boat alone again. Similar thing happened when I capsized my Nacra first time out. I dropped down over the upper hull onto the floating lower hull and simply slipped off as it was very shiny and slippery. By the time I surfaced the boat was blowing away from me at a rate of knots and rapidly out of reach, assisted somewhat by the windage of the forward tramp, now removed!! Again I was sailing with other boats and was picked up promtly. No real drama except a few minor scratches on my shiny (read SLIPPERY) near new boat. These experiences have led me also to ponder the idea of attaching oneself to the vessel and I intend to try the tether from the mast base idea with a carabina type hook to the harness. The shock cord idea to keep it tidy sounds good too.

Hope the damage to L2F is not too bad and you are otherwise having a ball with her.

Cheers,

Dave.

An idea you could try is the Tornado/F18 Suicide strap from the rear beam.

Basically u set up a rope on a pully with a hook at either side of the rear beam and use elastic to connect the pullies inside the rear beam.

Attach this onto your harness when your on wire and it will help u stay in place and may have a chance of keeping u connected should your trap fail. and in the event of a capsize/mast failure you will be able to disconnect it easy.

I'd go against tieing ur Main off to your harness because i had a club member on a H14 Turbo nearly drown because he got tangled while upsidedown...

Also get one of the new harnesses with a quick release hook, because i had a crew get trapped under the hull of my old H16 at the Vic States in 04. We had the boat come over on us after i got swept off by a wave and pushed the boat head to wind. She got caught on wire under the boat...

Or get someone else to come with you on a seperate boat. Safety in numbers. I fell off in the middle of the ferry lane in sydney harbour while training and my crew didnt realise what had happened till i was about 400metres from the boat. She was too focused on the jib and other boats... Luckily we had training partners with us...

Hi All,

Well its good to know that I'm not the only person this has happened too, and reading the various comments and suggestions here, it's unlikely there is any 100% "risk free" way to prevent a sailor becoming separated from a boat in the event of a capsize, or some other incident like I encountered on the weekend.

I accept that tethering yourself to your boat whether by attaching the end of the mainsheet to your harness or through some other method, will create other risks that need to be considered.

For me, having experienced what its like to be stranded in open water for over an hour, and knowing that your in a really bad situation, gave me an insight into a range of emotions that you can not begin to comprehend unless it has happened to you.

I hope that sharing my experience will cause others to think more about their own personal safety strategies, particualarly if, like myself, you'd rather not be limited solely to club sailing events, and enjoy the freedom of sailing on your own every now and then.

Cheers

Barry

Good to hear you are alright Barry,

scary stuff indeed and makes me think about flying across the bay alone hanging out the side. Will definately take more care next time, a real wake up call.

I once lost my Windrush in the middle of Lake Macquarie. Me and a mate had tipped it over and did some sunbaking on the overturned boat, mast down, as we used to do. When we righted it there was a gust and it just ripped out of our hands and it was off sailing towards Toronto.

Can't actualy remember feeling too scared, must have been too young, was in the water for 15mins when a speed boat who saw the whole episode picked us up and dropped me in front of the cat a tfull speed. Nearly ripped my arms out of their sockets when I grabbed onto the boat.

No damage done, a good storey to tell and surprisingly never really thought about the dangers of losing the boat on subsequent sails.

Will follow this thread with interest especially since we are taking teh boat to Burrum Heads in the next few weeks

Cheers

Kurt

I've been doing some research today, and it would seem that a VHF Radio is a better option to have with you than an personal Epirb.

For around the $400 - $500 mark you can get good quality waterproof handheld VHF radios.

see http://www.wetweathergear.com.au/prod524.htm

The benefit VHF offers over an epirb is that your in instant communication with SAR authorities, and your "mayday" call may be heard by other boaties in your general vicinity.

With a VHF radio you'll know if someone is coming to rescue you.

The research I read on Epirbs suggests that while they are a useful device, the responce time from activation to your signal being picked up depends on numerous factors, including satelite position at the time you activate the epirb.

The average responce time can be 90 minutes on a good day, and that's only the time it takes to pick up and get a fix on your signal. SAR then have to arrange your search and rescue team.

It would seem that buying a waterproof handheld VHF radio will be a wise investment in personal safety for anyone that sails alone, or even if you go out sailing with a friend on one boat, because as someone has already posted, two people can become stranded just as easily a one person can.

Taking a mobile phone in a waterproof cover isn't really a great alternative, as mobile phones are not designed for use in a wet environment.

So if your bobbing around in the water like I was on Saturday it would only take a splash from a wave onto your phone, and your phone will be out of action.

There are also issues with mobile phone coverage in some areas once your away from the shoreline, so VHF seems a safer option.

Cheers

Barry

Some very interesting issues you've raised here, Barry.

As well as sailing in the relative safety of dams and lakes, I know that I really enjoy the odd blast around Moreton Bay, Hervey Bay, off Mooloolaba etc and while this is often done in the company of other like minded social cat sailors, this is not always possible.

Like others who have contributed to this thread, I have always taken safety very seriously and apart from the obvious ones of having your boat in top condition and telling family where you are going, I always have on the boat a handheld VHF, flares, v-sheet, tow rope and water. I also use the VHF to log on and off with the local VMR station as an added precaution if I am sailing solo or doing longer distances to or around islands.

I must admit Barry that like you I have always had the trapeze hooked on whenever I'm sailing and always thought that that would be adequate to keep me connected to the cat. The issue of becoming separated from my boat has never really been tested to date. To read your experience has certainly opened my eyes.

I believe your suggestion of carrying the VHF on yourself is the best solution and I know I'll be doing that from now on.

Thanks for your open and honest article. We can all learn from each others experiences.

Life is short, sail fast!

Paul

Discovered that Whitworths have a deal on at present where you can buy an Icom 5w Handheld waterproof VHF radio for $369.00 Icom also have a $50 cash back offer going until the end of October making the outlay $319.00

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=69761&search123=Icom&intAbsolutePage=1

Ringing around today I also learned that Icom make the only waterproof 5w VHF radio that "floats".

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 03 September 2008).]

How about some trials to see if we can devise a foolproof, self contained rope system that puts the cat in irons or on its side when you fall off so you do stay attached.

A rope coil in a bag secured to the tramp with one rope end attached by a snapshackle to your harness and the other to the top of the diamond stays and held by velcro strips to keep it out of the way before deployment. Having a high tie off point would ensure a speedy mast flip into the water and if for some reason you were towed you would be kept up and not pulled under. If the rope was longer than the mast height it would mean you would not be dragged under if the cat turtled

All the VHF radios, Epribs and other saftey equipment won't help if your knocked out. I would recomened finding another boat to join you to reduce the risk.

I to have come off my boat it was at the Portland nacra nationals. It was in a windy race nothing broke just gybed and went from one side to other but didn't stop on the other side splash in I went jammed the tiller ext. under the cross arm and wacthed the boat sail away. Amasing how fast a 16sq is with no one on it and it would not tip over. Rescue boat picked me up and we chased the boat down evautually. Hate to think what would have happened if I was by myself in white pointer country.

If you are going to contiue sailing by yourself would recomend wearing a PFD 1 lifejacket at least if you are knocked out or are in the water for a long time your head will be held up above the water.

Very worrying situation.

As for sailing solo away from imediate assistance in large bodies of water, carry mobile phone and flairs in water tight container. Also an Epirb and strobe light. Never know when a rig can come down or equiptment fails.

As for falling off the boat..... One hand always for the boat. I have been in this situation MANY times from failing trap lines, quick release harness or simply jumping out on trap without being hooked up / hook slipped off.

I try to sail with my hand under the tiller extension with a loose grip. If I fall, I do not take the extension with me. In the other keep hold of the main.... DO NOT let it go if you fall. The main sheet will sheet in and the boat will capsize, but you will stay with the boat. It also does not hurt your hand.

Same goes with sailing a 2 man boat. Most of the time you will need 2 to right the boat so it is important you stay with it. If the crew is working the main, then take hold of the traveller or cunningham.

The VHF is a great idea, even for Pittwater. Certainly for Moretoan Bay - and thanks for the tip on the Whitworths deal. I carry my phone in a waterproof pack that allows full use, so splashes are not an issue.

My experience in Port Stephens was not the first time it has happened - just the first time the mainsheet slipped through my hand. And one of the more interesting thoughts that runs through your head as you bob around is - am I ready to die just yet? Lucky I kissed the missus goodbye! Will she figure out how to keep the greywater system working? How's my life insurance? etc etc.

What doesn't kill you...

Dick

Shit ..... whilst on the subject I've have a couple of close calls sailing alone one only a couple of months ago , Worst one (maybe not?) 15 -16 years ago a mate and I were sailing our moth skiffs out of Humpybong on a Saturday (no one else around in probly a 20-25 knot westerly ,you know where this is going don't you 25knots from the west and a moth skiff , My mate and I got a bit seperated .we hit the piss about half a dozen times each so we were about 500 meters apart half way across Bramble bay ,After one huge stack I jumped on the centerboard ,the boat come up with no rig.......the rig was there but the forestay broke......here I was trying to balance on a 18 inch wide boat mast and sail in the piss meter and a half of sea running drifting towards New Zealand ,and the only person who new where I was was 500m upside down on their boat????Neadless to say I thought I was fingered,,,,Luckily my brother arived as we were heading out from the club (I didn't see him) ,,thankfully he worked out what was happening and flew home and grabbed the tinny and come and picked me up..My mate on the other boat ended up finding me after flipping another few times and he headed back to get help and about an hour later turned up in the tinny with my brother,,,lesson learnt be very careful going out in an offshore breeze when nobody knows where you are...... I could have had a cheap trip to NZ...

Second bad one only a couple of months ago was sailing H16 one up and whilst cruzing along to windward on trapeze the wind lulled and I reached for the trap handle and slipped on the side of the boat and somehow dislocated my shoulder,luckily I stayed on the boat .so here I am unwillingly going into a tack (when all the shit hit the fan I dropped the tiller extension )couldn't move my arm (at all) In agony screaming at the top of my lungs rolling round on the tramp...after about 2 minutes of "What the fuck have you done now ,and how my getting out of this one" I managed to pop my shoulder in with a thud ....luckilly I wasn't too far out and headed straight to the beach,,,then I thought how the F,.' am I gone to pull the thing up 100m of sand ,,,de-rig the boat load it and drive 3/4 hour home...luckily my wife was on the beach and virtually packed the boat up for me and drove me home ...and to the doctors the next day....

this really opened my eyes up maybe I'm getting too old for this shit,how do I do this more safely??

I use to sail heeps alone mainly sailboarding and I don't think it is anywhere as risky as sailing cats / dinghys single handed ,many a time I rescued myself 1 - 2 miles out after running out of wind or breaking a boom or mast or fin sailboarding.If out stack a sailboard or brake something on it it's not going to piss of on you like if you become detached with a cat ..you always have a board no matter how small to paddle in on.

Maybe think about a sailboard If you want to do a fair amount of sailing alone..

Btw the shoulders not 100% ,say around 75%and the 6 weeks in the sling was a real pain in the ass ..

Jay...........

Archived