2013 Maricat State titles on at Queens Lake

humungus2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a lot of regatta announcements the original poster knows exactly where the venue is. In this case it isn't specified here nor is it on the Facebook page. Since Google Maps doesn't know it either I have to admit that I'm somewhat in the dark as to how much travelling would be involved.

Having said that, since it isn't in the immediate (Lake Mac) area I don't think I'll be there but I'm sure you'all'll have a great time.

Close!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=LOT+1+Ocean+Drive+Lakewood,+NSW,+Australia&hl=en&ll=-31.630583,152.798624&spn=0.06358,0.102997&sll=-31.633324,152.77884&sspn=0.031789,0.051498&hnear=LOT+1+Ocean+Dr,+Lakewood+New+South+Wales+2443,+Australia&t=m&z=14

4hrs North of Sydney. I did Budgewoi in just under 3hrs on the long weekend.

I remember travelling all over NSW/QLD/VIC as a kid to go to regattas. Shame people nowadays seem to think it has to be less than 15mins away to be worth putting in the effort... The travelling and exploring new places and waterways is half the fun.

Cheap caravan parks, right through to Oceanfront mansions easily available nearby.

http://www.visitcamdenhaven.com.au/accommodation/

Brigadoon is probably the pick of the closest ones, and is where all the Cherub guys stay as a group each year they are up here.

(Avoid Christmas Cove Caravan Park unless you aren't too fussy!).

So the correct address would be Queens Lake, Lakewood, NSW 2443, Australia. Would help if everyone did this.

As to your other comment I think this is a statement of the 'condition' of the sailing scene 2013 vs last century. In those days there were different things going on in life. Thankfully we still have a group that is prepared to do the hard yards, there are other (I'm afraid me included) that are unable to do this.

Having kids in different class boats does not help us either.It is a case of which titles to go to and which ones do we miss.

Doubtful we will sail in any Maricat titles this year but will be at other events.The Batemans Bay regatta will be a certainty on the Maricats with us being there for the Sharpie State Titles that weekend.Not sure on the other Maricat venues this season but being 15 minutes away would be helpful.

I like many others have never been to queens lake. Somewhere different that is only a 3 hour drive from Newcastle is something I am looking forward to very much. Been there and done that with the kids, although you can Gide them, they will end up doing what they like anyway. I can only hope a maricat is more exciting than a sharpie

I was just thinking that its strange how years ago when we all had gas guzzling clunkers, with no air con or even a "wireless" and no freeways, M2s, M3s, multilane highways, and Sydney to Budgewoi was like a 3 to 4 hour drive (for us on the northern beaches it was anyway) stopping at Hornsby, Peats Ridge and Wyong for a milkshake and to top up the radiator (I dont even think the old steam hauled Newcastle Flyer used as much water on that trip as the old mans car did) that we seemed happy to travel all over the state to go sailing at events. I was talking to a guy I know who admitted he spends 22 hours a week comuting to Sydney by train each week, yet he'd baulk at a 3 hour drive north to have a great weekend sailing with a group of guys he gets on really well with. Hell I can remember guys from Port Stephens who felt it was too much of a drive to do a titles at manno, and vice versa, yet Mick will do the drive for one race at Toukley (which is further than Manno too) and love every minute of it. Don't even start working out what Hot Rod must drive in kms each year to go for a sail. Come on guys life is short, we all need to have our sailing fix, sometimes you just have to put a little bit of effort into it.

Those were the days eh!

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

A cup o' cold tea.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Without milk or sugar.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Or tea.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

In a cracked cup, an' all.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye, 'e was right.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye, 'e was.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

Cardboard box?

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Aye.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:

Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.

FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

Not everyone was silly enough to sell their old gas guzzlers :)

Probably worth twice as much as a new one and when comparing the 2 the old gas guzzler uses less than the average 6cyl family car of today. although without the mod cons of power windows,air con,power steer etc,etc,etc.

Wont be selling my ole Beasty XY Falcon for any reason or price.

I think I have taken the Beasty to sailing on 1 occasion Tony and that was it..

No towbar on the XY !.

Thats my excuse and Im sticking with it.

If I dont get a move on with this 2nd Mari and dbl trailer I will be stuck without a dbl trailer and need 2 trips to the club and home every Saturday.

Storing the 16 at IYC so no need for a towbar on Sundays ;)

XY Falcon, wasn't that the one that if you brake hard the steering column comes up and spears you through the chest! Oh, yes of course you brake hard and nothing happens!

Back in Blighty we used to have Kombi Dormobiles - my dad built a trailer (no springs!) and simply bolted the towball onto the bumper. We travelled from the Midlands up and around Scotland like that. Got stopped by a copper who wasn't really happy but just told Dad to go slower. Oh yes, those were the days - in the old split screen Kombi travelling through France we'd put the quarter windows so they drove the breeze in - got stung by a wasp that wasn't too happy to have been shot into my face at high speed. We never even contemplated crashing with 1 1/2 mm of steel between our legs and the outside.

I was reading the bumpf for the Fiat 500 (now $14k on the road) it even has knee airbags.

Maricat 5008 is an excellent boat. I sailed it recently during the Batemans Bay Anzac Regatta. It's in immaculate condition and performs really well; winning all 4 races across the line and on yardstick (cat-rigged).

An appropriate name that'd go with the 00 sail number is "Licensed to thrill"

My first trips to Budgewoi, as a kid some decades back, were in a 1928 Austin, half tennis balls for radiator cap, alway carried spare water, 4hrs plus from Villawood to our shack in Ocean st (black sand track) Budgewoi, but we never got caught in a traffic jam. The lakes were pristine then, no power stations, only tar was main roads, lakes were full of fish and prawns, and clean white sand.

Archived